Airfix 2018

old thumper

Maybe , to continue the training aircraft theme, Airfix could do the new ones entering RAF service such as the new Grob(Ithink it is) Phenom jet and the Texan II Tucano replacement....

• Like 3

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:59 PM, 593jones said:

Hampden, a logical step after the Blenheim, Whitley and Wellington.  Perhaps a Battle, too.   2019 would be these, upscaled to 1/48  :)

Yes please; in 1/48th scale please. Did I say please....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Paul J said:

Maybe , to continue the training aircraft theme, Airfix could do the new ones entering RAF service such as the new Grob(Ithink it is) Phenom jet and the Texan II Tucano replacement....

Please no, three uglier modern aircraft I can't imagine.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Please no, three uglier modern aircraft I can't imagine.

To be fair the Texan II (are we going to call it Harvard II like Canada??) is not exactly a munter. Sure, it isn't particularly pretty sat next to say [insert your favourite type here], but it doesn't make small children scream or dogs to howl in the night.

THIS is ugly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRDO_AEW%26CS#/media/File%3AKW3555_AWACS_IAF_(32685888110).jpg

Trevor

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Paul J said:

Think the Royal Navy's mighty Avenger T.1 probably jumps the queue.  Plus possibility of ressue as Shadow R.1.

But only after Airfix have given us that Harvard IIb in 1/72.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

To be fair the Texan II (are we going to call it Harvard II like Canada??) is not exactly a munter. Sure, it isn't particularly pretty sat next to say [insert your favourite type here], but it doesn't make small children scream or dogs to howl in the night.

Oh I don't know, Beech took a reasonably attractive aurcraft in the PC9 and hit it with several ugly sticks

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1/48 - Supermarine Scimitar F.1
1/48 - Blackburn Firebrand TF.IV/.5
1/48 - Supermarine Swift FR.5/.7
1/48 - Fairey Gannet AEW.3
1/48 - De Havilland Vampire/(Sea) Venom family
1/48 - Hawker Hunter family
1/48 - Britten Norman BN2B/T Islander/Defender

1/48 - de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth
1/48 - DHC.1 Chipmunk T.10
1/48 - DH.104 Dove/(Sea)Devon
1/48 - DH89 Dominie/Dragon Rapide

1/48 - FMA IA-58 Pucarà

1/48 - Westland Whirlwind (helicopter!)

V.P.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Homebee said:

1/48 - Supermarine Scimitar F.1
1/48 - Blackburn Firebrand TF.IV/.5
1/48 - Supermarine Swift FR.5/.7
1/48 - Fairey Gannet AEW.3
1/48 - De Havilland Vampire/(Sea) Venom family
1/48 - Hawker Hunter family
1/48 - Britten Norman BN2B/T Islander/Defender

1/48 - de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth
1/48 - DHC.1 Chipmunk T.10
1/48 - DH.104 Dove/(Sea)Devon
1/48 - DH89 Dominie/Dragon Rapide

1/48 - FMA IA-58 Pucarà

1/48 - Westland Whirlwind (helicopter!)

V.P.

I'm not Poirot, but there appears to be a theme of in your post...

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

THIS is ugly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRDO_AEW%26CS#/media/File%3AKW3555_AWACS_IAF_(32685888110).jpg

Trevor

I mentioned those three after I saw pics in a magazine for a laugh. Obviously they would not be produced by Airfix but maybe soem resinkit outfit.

• Like 1

Us Fleet Air Arm lovers have had a good year with Airfix- Well at least we will when the walrus, phantom and sea fury are released.

I'd love to see that continue in 48th with:

An actual dedicated FAA Avenger unlike the Hobbyboss lie which I am currently working on! (Actually its a lovely kit it just isnt an FAA version from the box).

Fairey Fulmar

Seafire I,II, And III parts

Skua/Roc (although Special Hobby is still widely available).

Supermarine Seagull- would make a lovely (and more handsome) companion to the Walrus 

Defiant Target tug versions

Blackburn Firebrand MkII plus Centaurus versions

Also as early war Battle of France/Battle of Britain are popular and Airfix have made several kits that fit that era:

Fairey Battle

Avro Anson

Hampden

Blenheim I and IV (already have a V by CA to do)

Again in 48th

Not much to ask for now!

Nick

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With Telford just around the corner, realistically what do you all think Airfix are going to announce? Has anyone spotted any LIDAR scanning going on when they have been out and about? 

Edited by DAG058

It's probably wishful thinking, but one of Airfix's recent Aerodrome features was on the Shuttleworth Collection. Knowing that they have three Hurricanes, a Spitfire Vc, a Lysander, a Hawker Hind and a Demon made me more than a little hopeful.

I'd settle for any of those in The Gentleman's Scale.

• Like 4

I suspect we will see some variations on existing toolings - several of the new kits have parts that aren't used that hint at further variants down the line.

They also seem to have realised there is a market in recycling kits with new decal options, rather than having the same decals for 30 years. Without going full Hasegawa, I expect to see some rereleases of earlier kits with new decals

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

I suspect we will see some variations on existing toolings - several of the new kits have parts that aren't used that hint at further variants down the line.

They also seem to have realised there is a market in recycling kits with new decal options, rather than having the same decals for 30 years. Without going full Hasegawa, I expect to see some rereleases of earlier kits with new decals

Yep with raf 100 stickers  on the box, almost certain the harriers and lightnings will be reissued, and the inevitable gift set with several subjects in one box I'm looking forwards to. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

34 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Good morning

I really hope Airfix will NOT follow the Hasegawa trend of rereleasing earlier kits with new decals at a HIGHER  price ...

I am ready to buy Airfix kits but I  want NEW kits and NOT NEW decals in NEW boxes of OLD tool kits as it is already the case as for example the old Fouga Magister 

Patrice

2 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

I really hope Airfix will NOT follow the Hasegawa trend of rereleasing earlier kits with new decals at a HIGHER  price ...

I am ready to buy Airfix kits but I  want NEW kits and NOT NEW decals in NEW boxes of OLD tool kits as it is already the case as for example the old Fouga Magister 

Patrice

Not really, what he means is like they did with the new tool p-40,zero, mustang and spitfire I/II, a new boxing with a new set of decals for basically the same price,

8 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Not really, what he means is like they did with the new tool p-40,zero, mustang and spitfire I/II, a new boxing with a new set of decals for basically the same price,

Hi PBS

You are right ... 

But I will not buy these boxes as I already have some of the ''earlier'' new tooling Spit , P 40 ,Mustang and plenty of decals sheets this will allow me to buy the new B25 C/D Mitchell and Wellington ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1

Just now, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hi PBS

You are right ... 

But I will not buy these boxes as I already have some of the ''earlier'' new tooling Spit , P 40 ,Mustang and plenty of decals sheets this will allow me to buy the new B25 C/D Mitchell and Wellington ..

Best regards

Patrice

I will though, I'm a sucker for the shiny red boxes on the shelf :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, DAG058 said:

With Telford just around the corner, realistically what do you all think Airfix are going to announce? Has anyone spotted any LIDAR scanning going on when they have been out and about? 

Realistically I can imagine variations of existing kits (also given the financial situation which is discussed elsewhere) - like 1:48 Spit Vc. It is probably too early for a Victor with bombbay. But on the other hand it is Telford - they need some showstopper like a new tool Vulcan (not unlikely for me as it makes sense regarding the other V-Force kits and because the current tooling is from the medivals and appears to be permanentely in their catalogue) or a 1:24 Sea Fury or Me 262; a 1:48 Brit Phantom or Blenheim - or (just to keep saying this) a 1:48 Hampden. And again - they are overdue with a new 1:48 whirlybird. Seaking please.

• Like 2

It would be interesting to know what the next 1:24th release will be?

Surely time for a jet again now, all the releases have been WWII related, apart from the Harrier.  Personally I can't see the Harrier being revisited, though it would make a superb modern tool choice.  Maybe a Sabre would make good choice for the scale.

I wonder how well Airfix do well from the 1:24th line, how many of these kits sell at their full price?  I've never paid anything more than 50% of the RRP, and in the case with the Typhoon, not long after after their release.

Absolutely agree with above, we are in desperate need of a 1:48 Whirlwind or S55 helicopter line

• Like 1

Just a thought; a '100 years of the RAF' boxing of the;  BE2C, Gladiator, a Spitfire, a Lightning, Phantom II, Harrier, & a new tool Typhoon GR4, with glue, brushes and a load of paints

6 or 7 kits for £100

[adding up the above list with appox/estimate prices comes to £120 plus]

• Like 1