Airfix 2018

old thumper

3 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Tomorrow?

Trevor

Trevor or as we like to call him...... Mr. Optimistic .....................:penguin::coolio:

So what they are really saying is there will be an announcement but some one dropped it and is now trying to repair it for tomorrow. :poo:

Been there got the tee shirt. 

Dick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Tomorrow?

Trevor

Yes. They will announce that there are going to be no new announcements!!:whistle::winkgrin:. I think a lot of people have been working themselves into a frenzy over nothing. Personally, I would have thought that if any announcement were due to made it would be on the opening day?

Allan

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Er, is the Phantom kit going to have the option of not having the nose leg extended?  All the artwork, CADS and now built up kit pics I've seen have it in the extended position.   

Of course. Airfix would look really silly if they didn't.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Gollin said:

Sorry if referencing another website is wrong, but these MAY interest ;

http://imodeler.com/

Wow.  No new announcements but the kits they've brought along look fantastic.  I particularly like the Wellington.  I was wondering what Airfix was going to do regarding the Wellington's mulitfarious fuselage window arrangements so I was interested to see that the fuselage halves are on their own separate sprue.  Possibly other versions in the future?  Although not my scale the Sea Fury looks superb.  I love the detail in the fin and rudder. 

Now that's a curious thing.  It seems the Wellington kit has the bomb bay doors integral to the fuselage parts and are moulded open.  I wonder if here will be alternative closed door parts.

25 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Now that's a curious thing.  It seems the Wellington kit has the bomb bay doors integral to the fuselage parts and are moulded open.  I wonder if here will be alternative closed door parts.

My guess is that you will cut away the open bombay doors if you want the doors closed and use a different 1 piece closed bombay moulding

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gavingav said:

My guess is that you will cut away the open bombay doors if you want the doors closed and use a different 1 piece closed bombay moulding

Works for me!  I get a bit irritated by bomber kits that don't provide a detailed bomb bay. More likely to buy them if the option is provided. Kind of wish now I had put money on Airfix not making any new kit announcement. Looks like a lot of us were getting worked up into a frenzy over nothing! 😁

Allan.  

I asked one of the Airfix reps today about the announcement. He said that they didn't want to steal the thunder of the next 3 kits being released- Phantom, Sea Fury and Mitchell - all of which are on the way. I suspect they wanted them for Telford but a typhoon (not winged!) disrupted the transport of moulds from China to India.

He did say the next announcement will be aaround Christmas time.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, 593jones said:

I suppose we can all hope for an announcement in the run up to Christmas, Advent calendar anyone?  :)

100 years since the end of the Great War and the centenary of the Royal Air Force... it's hard to believe that Airfix would let these pass with just 2 additions to their catalogue in 2018. There has to be more announcements for 2018 before the end of the year; doesn't there? :worry:

37 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

It’s got to be the Camel.

Trevor 

I guess some modellers will really get the hump otherwise😉. Sorry, awful pun but I just could not resist!😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, iainpeden said:

I asked one of the Airfix reps today about the announcement. He said that they didn't want to steal the thunder of the next 3 kits being released- Phantom, Sea Fury and Mitchell - all of which are on the way. I suspect they wanted them for Telford but a typhoon (not winged!) disrupted the transport of moulds from China to India.

He did say the next announcement will be aaround Christmas time.

I was told in January: guess they must like reading (and laughing over) this thread!

Edited by Denford
Failure to press the shift key, giving 1 instead of !

10 hours ago, Phil Gollin said:

I will be more interested in what Airfix say about their future at Telford.

With the poor performance of the Hornby Group and the new CEO people should be looking for Airfix's strategy for the next five years.

MAY I ASK anyone talking to Airfix to ask what they have in store in the future.

The individual I spoke with was very upbeat about Airfix's future.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Denford said:

I was told in January: guess they must like reading (and laughing over) this thread!

For sure they managed to surprise us.

• Haha 1

Blenheim slated for Nov 2018.

A cheerful rep told me all about it, and 'possibly' a Mk IV later.

Was very enthusiastic about the help they get from ALL at DX.

He would also like to see another kit in 1/24, but that is pie in the sky at present. I,m saying no more at it was 'wishful discussion' as the possible subject.