Airfix 2018

old thumper

*If* there's a new 1/72 Camel in the works there will almost certainly be a new late war German fighter to go with it to maximise the DFD potential. So, Albatros or D.VII to go with it? 

Loads of marking potential with those too. 

John 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

IF there is going to be a Camel and IF it needs a companion then I would suggest that for bankability look no further than a Fokker Triplane. Red Baron anyone?

Trevor

In 1/72 there is enough Fokker Triplanes I think.

By the way, what exactly is wrong with Camel made by Roden?

9 hours ago, sniperUK said:

Information I have is all the Hornby 2018 ranges ,first half of the year for Corgi, will be announced on Monday 8th of January......;)

I see this as very ominous.  We know Hornby aren't doing well, with the rise in interest rate and fall in value of £ adding to their woes.

My conclusion is that no part of HH has very much to announce for next year but by combining them it makes the new releases look less meagre than if they were announced separately.

For Airfix I don't expect much more than a single 1/48 and perhaps 3 1/72 none being very large.  Add to this some 're-decalled' subjects and perhaps some 're-works' of recent kits.  I believe the Meteor has some 'extra' clear parts, so perhaps a PR version and maybe a 2 seat Me 262.

As for the genuinely new subjects, look to what they have tooled in the recent past, not one's personal wish list.  Nor anything 'too close' to what's already announced, so no Hampden or Boston/Havoc.  Multiple users and ('and' is better than 'or') colour schemes, so no Scimitar no matter how many would wish it.  On the positive side, there's usually a jet and a Luftwaffe subject.  A T-33 would delight Xtradecal, and there's no really accurate Me 410.  However the 'core' is still WWll  RAF/FAA with the occasional 'wild card': who would ever have guessed a Sea Gull?  Too many 'old' subject are up for replacement to make any rational choice.

In a month all will be revealed, but don't expect too much.  These are hard times for HH and we should be thankful that they are still in business.

3 hours ago, fightersweep said:

...Still think that 1/72 Harvard II would be a money spinner...

I would 2nd that and would happily spin Airfix a few bob to get at least six kits myself. I did see that Revell plan to reissue an old mould with new decals next year so perhaps they’re just trying to cash in before (hopefully) a new tool Airfix kit arrives? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Botan said:

Usual argument about them not making money for Airfix and in it’s home market I think Airfix would outsell Roden.

Trevor

1 hour ago, Denford said:

I see this as very ominous.  We know Hornby aren't doing well, with the rise in interest rate and fall in value of £ adding to their woes.

My conclusion is that no part of HH has very much to announce for next year but by combining them it makes the new releases look less meagre than if they were announced separately.

You would be wrong , separate catalogues, Airfix, Hornby, Corgi collectables, Corgi Toys etc, they have never and will not include them in on overall cat, they have always done it this way.

16 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I would 2nd that and would happily spin Airfix a few bob to get at least six kits myself. I did see that Revell plan to reissue an old mould with new decals next year so perhaps they’re just trying to cash in before (hopefully) a new tool Airfix kit arrives? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Good afternoon Dave

You are right Revell just reissued the old Heller mould as you can see in the pics below

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/revell-172-t-6-g-texan-model-kit/

I was expecting a brand new tool :( ..

Patrice

17 hours ago, Botan said:

Hi Botan,

I built all of the variations produced by Roden. Basically it is a standard set of sprues combined with a specialized set to produce the variant boxed. So you get lots of parts to join together to produce what another manufacturer would design as a single piece. IIRC the fit had some 'issues' too. Together with this they were very delicately moulded in almost scale thickness, which 'could' add to another level of frustration/enjoyment. There were also lots of parts on the sprues left over so the spares part box had a good feeding!

In a nutshell, very detailed models but frustrating to assemble. They were the final nail in the 1/72 coffin. Afterwards I became a 1/48, or larger, devotee.

Hornby/Airfix. keep going, we need you!! You make it I'll buy it!

Christian, exiled to africa

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sniperUK said:

You would be wrong , separate catalogues, Airfix, Hornby, Corgi collectables, Corgi Toys etc, they have never and will not include them in on overall cat, they have always done it this way.

But don't forget that HH need to impress their investors, not us.

From a PR point of view, one major announcement of their plans (from all brands) in January would make much more impact than 6 or 7 smaller announcements in December (when all the investment chappies are on an endless round of Christmas jollies anyway!).

On 12/12/2017 at 10:28 AM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

The Almost Certain revised tools must be a FGR2, twintub Schwable, Victor K2,  B-25J... B-17F  tin wing Hurri or Sea Hurri - tooling has a separate bottom(?), F-51?

Agree on the FGR.2, the two-seat Me 262, an RAF boxing of the 1/48 P-51, and the Victor K.2, but no chance on the others. The B-25J has a very different fuselage from the C/D version; look for another boxing of the C/D in Commonwealth markings, and *maybe* a B-25G. Same deal with the B-17; the kit isn't set up to do an early G with the symmetrical waist gun positions, let alone an F or E version. I'd like to think Airfix will do a new metal wing Hurricane Mk.I, but it won't be a modification of the rag-wing kit. Others have noted that there are fuselage differences between the two versions that would mean more than just a new set of wings would be needed.

The Airfix 1/72 Mustang already had a release as an F-51 with Korean War markings if I am not mistaken (unless you meant F-51H, in which case no chance).

On 12/12/2017 at 1:54 PM, noelh said:

As one longstanding aerospace nut to another I agree that it's entirely possible to go back to the moon.  

Thats obviously dependant on us going there the first time..............:giggle::popcorn:

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Botan said:

In both cases don't make money for Airfix but will if released by them.....

29 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Agree on the FGR.2, the two-seat Me 262, F or E version. I'd like to think an RAF boxing of the 1/48 P-51, ).

These will come, but not for a year or two yet.

2 hours ago, bhouse said:

But don't forget that HH need to impress their investors, not us.

I’m not sure what motivates a Hornby investor. Given the shares have fallen in value by around 90pc over 10 years and the share price is down 4pc YTD. Something must as folk keep willing to invest dispite all of the issues. Maybe Nostalgia plays a part..?? Hornbies Brands remind us of good times and fun. 

I think impressing customers is key to basically selling more stuff. Selling more is key to what Hornby need to do if the wish to retain a business at the current size they have.

Hornby have said that the Christmas trading period is an important time for them as traditionally that’s when Toys are bought. 

Perhaps the new year announcements are scaleable based on how Christmas trading goes and subject to the current share offering delivering the funds needed for them to enact (further) turn around plans for the business and take a majority shareholding in Oxford Diecasts.

Hopefully Christmas trading goes really well the secure the funding from the market and we all get a raft of new tool announcements in January..

Edited by Plasto

4 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Dave

You are right Revell just reissued the old Heller mould as you can see in the pics below

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/revell-172-t-6-g-texan-model-kit/

I was expecting a brand new tool :( ..

Patrice

Patrice,

Just followed your link and it very definitely is the Heller moulding, I was hoping if it was a repop, it would at least be the newer Academy moulding.  Bit of a disappointment really...   ...now if Airfix announce a 1/72nd Harvard in January, I for one would be very happy!

I would suggest that the release of new kits will be linked to pre-orders and get them in one go rather than slowly throughout the year?

Just a thought, I am a modeler not a business guru though, so just my guess.

Rich

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Patrice,

Just followed your link and it very definitely is the Heller moulding, I was hoping if it was a repop, it would at least be the newer Academy moulding.  Bit of a disappointment really...   ...now if Airfix announce a 1/72nd Harvard in January, I for one would be very happy!

Good evening Wez

I really hope that Airfix will announce a 1/72 Harvard in a few days ...

Best regards

Patrice

2 hours ago, Plasto said:

Hopefully Christmas trading goes really well the secure the funding from the market and we all get a raft of new tool announcements in January..

It would be better if they managed to get the Sea Fury to market ......

19 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

I see we are approaching 40 pages

We can then start AIRFIX 2019

What goes round comes round.

And Airfix 2019 will be same old  same old..............:shrug:

Dick

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:53 PM, VMA131Marine said:

Seattle MofF has the following big aircraft:

B-29

WB-47E

VC-137B Air Force One

Comet 4C

SR-71

Lockheed L-1049

There are a lot more than that at Boeing Field + the Paul Allen collection just up the I5.

5 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Agree on the FGR.2, the two-seat Me 262, an RAF boxing of the 1/48 P-51, and the Victor K.2, but no chance on the others. The B-25J has a very different fuselage from the C/D version; look for another boxing of the C/D in Commonwealth markings, and *maybe* a B-25G. Same deal with the B-17; the kit isn't set up to do an early G with the symmetrical waist gun positions, let alone an F or E version. I'd like to think Airfix will do a new metal wing Hurricane Mk.I, but it won't be a modification of the rag-wing kit. Others have noted that there are fuselage differences between the two versions that would mean more than just a new set of wings would be needed.

The Airfix 1/72 Mustang already had a release as an F-51 with Korean War markings if I am not mistaken (unless you meant F-51H, in which case no chance).

All noted, I meant a 1/48 F-51 for the record!