Airfix 2018

old thumper

7 hours ago, john224 said:

It has been previously stated that Airfix prefer to use plans and only scan as a last resort, so I would imagine that rules out modern aircraft, Boeing etc.

I'm not surprised.  The few LIDAR scans for building interiors we've used at work have a huge amount of information, but not much use.  I can see a flat wall, you could see a flat wall, my dog would see a flat wall but LIDAR sees a cloud of points hovering vaguely in the air in front of or behind where that wall is!  There's a huge amount of work in interpreting and converting that scan into a useful form, no doubt in a few years the interpretations will be automated so LIDAR might then be worthwhile.

Cheers

Will

Just a thought..............

Has it occurred to any one that the staff at Airfix might just think this site is run by clockwork and just like to wind us all up................. In the nicest of ways off course  :hmmm:       :whistle:         :bleh:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 12/8/2017 at 2:33 PM, Meatbox8 said:

What does 'mammal-like reptile' mean?  Did it lay eggs or give birth?  Or was it something else altogether that separated it from dinosaurs? A kit of a Dimetrodon was the only 'dinosaur' I built.  I seem to remember it was moulded in purple plastic.  Can't remember who made it but I don't think it was Airfix.

Hi Meatbox8,

Mammal-like reptiles, or Synapsids were one of two evolutionary pathway groups of early reptiles in the Late Carboniferous - Early Permian. They evolved into the  Triassic Therapsids which eventually evolved directly into (Early Jurassic), early Mammalia. The other group, the Diapsids, later evolved into the Dinosauria proper.

The Synapsids evolutionary route is recognized by a variety of morphological adaptations including;

1, lengthening limbs that become more tucked in under the body

2, larger brain cases

3, reduction in the number of phalanges

4 ,development of the bony palate

5, reduction and diversification of the dentialies

6, confinement of teeth to the mandibular crown

7, single bone for the lower mandible

Though it should be stated that, initially, not all of these changes happened at the same time, nor did they appear in any particular order.

As to live birth; No. If you look at the evolutionary history of the true mammals, (Monotremes, Marsupials and Placental Mammals), the Monotremes were egg layers. We know this as there are still five species of Monotreme extant today; the Duck-Billed Platypus and four species of Echidna. All egg-layers. Live birth, in this evolutionary lineage,  makes its first appearance with the Marsupials.

Clear as mud?

Now,to stop any more errant, rampant thread creep. How about a new Dh Mosquito in 72 and 48 scale? There is one 'up north', a Mk II I believe...

Christian, Britmodeller's tame Palaeontologist in exiled to africa

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

⬆️ Wow. Possibly the most erudite (and off-topic!) post of the year.

Yes Airfix need to dump their 1/72 Mossie. I hated building my last one for the French Fancy Group Build of a few years ago. Emptyish cockpit, horrid plastic and useless undercarriage it was an effort to sort of finish it. Go straight for a two stage Merlin one as a first release.

Trevor

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Yes Airfix need to dump their 1/72 Mossie. I hated building my last one for the French Fancy Group Build of a few years ago. Emptyish cockpit, horrid plastic and useless undercarriage it was an effort to sort of finish it. Go straight for a two stage Merlin one as a first release.

Trevor

The old tool mossie is showing as coming soon on the airfix web site, can't see them doing another run if they had a new tool in the pipeline.

Phil

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Trevor

Would like a better edition of the Tse-Tse version in 1/72.

17 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Would like a better edition of the Tse-Tse version in 1/72.

It's such a limiting version although it would be good as an alternative in an FB.VI box just as they did with the old kit.

Nobody does a decent twin stage Mossie in 1/72nd, although SH have promised us one...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jenko said:

Has it occurred to any one that the staff at Airfix might just think this site is run by clockwork and just like to wind us all up................. In the nicest of ways off course  :hmmm:       :whistle:         :bleh:

The temptation would be hard to resist.

• Like 2

2019 is the 50th anniversary of the moon landings. I am sure Boeing played a part in it and they have a Command module and Lander there.

Robert

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Robert said:

2019 is the 50th anniversary of the moon landings. I am sure Boeing played a part in it and they have a Command module and Lander there.

Robert

From the top down,

Escape tower - Lockheed

Command module - North American

Service Module - North American

Spacecraft to Lunar Module Adaptor, - North American

Lunar Module - Grumman

Instrument unit - IBM

Third Stage - Douglas

Second Stage - North American

First Stage - Boeing

All the engine by Rocketdyne

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Julien said:

From the top down,

Escape tower - Lockheed

Command module - North American

Service Module - North American

Spacecraft to Lunar Module Adaptor, - North American

Lunar Module - Grumman

Instrument unit - IBM

Third Stage - Douglas

Second Stage - North American

First Stage - Boeing

All the engine by Rocketdyne

And since, as we know, Boeing did the Borg thing and assimilated North American (Rockwell) and (McDonnell) Douglas, they probably would claim it.

One small correction - yes, all the big engines (F-1, J-2) were by Rocketdyne but TRW, Aerojet, Bell and Marquardt did the various spacecraft engines.

10 hours ago, Robert said:

Robert

Remember it well!! I think anyone with a TV sat up late watching the landing! Hey Airfix, how about a new Saturn V !:whistle:

Allan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Remember it well!! I think anyone with a TV sat up late watching the landing! Hey Airfix, how about a new Saturn V !:whistle:

Allan

Including me, first weekend of school holidays, watched live coverage on BBC with Patrick Moore and James Burke. Very exciting for a 15 year old nerd teenager.

Back on topic, give Hornby's woes, I am not expecting a lot really new, which given my stash and other announcements is a blessing. One of the guys at Telford did say they would do the Mitchell in RAF markings, but not when. Had the 60 year old Camel on display, which might be a hint or, God forbid, they are actually thinking of reissuing it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jenko said:

Well, the guy from Airfix did also show during his presentation that one of their research sources when deciding what to produce were the modelling forums..... just see what one casual remark about a trip to Seattle has provoked

• Like 1

On 08/12/2017 at 16:52, Max Headroom said:

Yay a Comet 4C! :penguin:

Trevor

I wish, but when was the last time Airfix produced a new airline and a space subject.

Anyhoo, here is a nice doc from PBS on the restoration of the Seattle Comet 4C.

http://video.kbtc.org/video/2281445990/

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

5 hours ago, Martin T said:

Including me, first weekend of school holidays, watched live coverage on BBC with Patrick Moore and James Burke. Very exciting for a 15 year old nerd teenager.

Back on topic, give Hornby's woes, I am not expecting a lot really new, which given my stash and other announcements is a blessing. One of the guys at Telford did say they would do the Mitchell in RAF markings, but not when. Had the 60 year old Camel on display, which might be a hint or, God forbid, they are actually thinking of reissuing it. 

Stayed up all night as a 9 year old to watch the big moment. Exciting days. Hard to believe my now 9 year old son will probably never see the like of it again. 

As for the Camel. The fact that they displayed one at Telford AND feature brand new artwork in the Airfix calendar somewhat implies a re-issue perhaps as part of a gift set celebrating 100 years of the RAF?

But do we dare dream of a new tool?

• Like 1

On 12/9/2017 at 12:21 PM, wyverns4 said:

Hi Meatbox8,

Mammal-like reptiles, or Synapsids were one of two evolutionary pathway groups of early reptiles in the Late Carboniferous - Early Permian. They evolved into the  Triassic Therapsids which eventually evolved directly into (Early Jurassic), early Mammalia. The other group, the Diapsids, later evolved into the Dinosauria proper.

The Synapsids evolutionary route is recognized by a variety of morphological adaptations including;

1, lengthening limbs that become more tucked in under the body

2, larger brain cases

3, reduction in the number of phalanges

4 ,development of the bony palate

5, reduction and diversification of the dentialies

6, confinement of teeth to the mandibular crown

7, single bone for the lower mandible

Though it should be stated that, initially, not all of these changes happened at the same time, nor did they appear in any particular order.

As to live birth; No. If you look at the evolutionary history of the true mammals, (Monotremes, Marsupials and Placental Mammals), the Monotremes were egg layers. We know this as there are still five species of Monotreme extant today; the Duck-Billed Platypus and four species of Echidna. All egg-layers. Live birth, in this evolutionary lineage,  makes its first appearance with the Marsupials.

Clear as mud?

Now,to stop any more errant, rampant thread creep. How about a new Dh Mosquito in 72 and 48 scale? There is one 'up north', a Mk II I believe...

Christian, Britmodeller's tame Palaeontologist in exiled to africa

Thanks for all the gen.  Fascinating stuff. When I was a boy Dinosaurs always seemed to be portrayed as lumbering. grey and very stupid, but  when I went to an exhibition at the Natural History Museum about 20 years ago I was amazed how the much that perception had changed.   Back on topic an new range of Mosquitoes in 1/72 with two-stage Merlins would be very welcome indeed.

Edited by Meatbox8