Airfix 2018

old thumper

OK, back on topic. I and some of my colleagues from IPMS Avon were fortunate to be invited to attend a lecture at University of West of England by Simon Owen ( Lead researcher at Airfix).  No surprise he could not tell us what they are researching currently for release in 2019 - its roughly a 2 year cycle from decision to final release - but good news there already! He did say he had just returned from Seattle but said it wasn't a B29! It seems that new kits are definitely already in the pipeline beyond those we already know about.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, neilh said:

He did say he had just returned from Seattle but said it wasn't a B29! It seems that new kits are definitely already in the pipeline beyond those we already know about.

Yay a Comet 4C! :penguin:

Trevor

• Like 1

He also mentioned researching a large item in Yorkshire 

plus they plan  to replace old tooling, so I see a Halifax or Vulcan on the horizon 

the Concorde would fit into this as they have also gone to the new museum in Filton

• Thanks 2

Victor K.2 or Halifax, both at Elvington.

Even Vulcan XH558 is in Yorkshire.

I can't see Airfix doing another Concorde, and I can't really envisage a Constellation from them.

Don't forget that Boeing have subsumed a large amount of US types from various manufacturers.

It would be lovely to see a Comet, but would they travel to the US when there are much nearer ones available.

I would love a p38, but iwhatever was scanned must be bigger than a HE111, which I don't think is a P38

we might see a B52 at some point because he was talking about getting drawings from smithonian, but getting the detail right due to the number of variations made it difficult to ensure accuracy.

he would not say how many new tools we will see, but nothing will be announced until January  9th.

6 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

I would love a p38, but iwhatever was scanned must be bigger than a HE111, which I don't think is a P38

we might see a B52 at some point because he was talking about getting drawings from smithonian, but getting the detail right due to the number of variations made it difficult to ensure accuracy.

he would not say how many new tools we will see, but nothing will be announced until January  9th.

If it has to be bigger than a HE111 there's not a lot in the MofF that, IMHO think, would fit Airfix's wishes - other than Airliners, B52, B47.... could be a Concorde  - but not sure how well the original 1/72 scale one (with all its faults) sold.

8 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

I don't think it will be a 1/72 Concorde, more likely 1/144 which would fit with replacing old tools.

Would they have had to go all the way to Seattle to scan it tho?  There are other ones closer to home..

DSC_4601

And there's not a lot of room around it for the technical scannng equipment - if it has been scanned that is - guess we'll find out in good time. :)

Concorde was just a guess that fitted with the criteria he stated. One thing he also said was they can't scan highly polished surfaces, so some bare metal aircraft are out of scope.

They will travel to find the right aircraft and details, it has to be correct and unmodified to be chosen. They went to Finland to get drawings for the Blenheim. They couldn't use the flying one as it's been modified.

Going back to Seattle, he  was asked what is the biggest thing Airfix have scanned with Lidar and he said something in Seattle that wasn't a B52. No idea when, so the subject may come out in 2019. I don't what is in Seattle other than Googling the museum and seeing a Concorde listed. It could well be something else or some other establishment. But it's fun to guess.

Hmmm big and Seattle, so P-8 as already mentioned (good basis for international sales) or could we be looking at a KC/C135/E-3 family, these would also have excellent sales potential both UK and internationally