Airfix 2018

old thumper

3 hours ago, Teuchter said:

I had a look at the Wellington insides on the Airfix stand, amazing amount of detail crammed in, how about an extra fuselage half to display it? otherwise it mostly disappears. 

Easy fix, just start sanding!

Wellington-bomber-fire-damage.jpg

Somebody right now is thinking hmmm...

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

I've made a few Airfix P 51D in 1/72, joystick is very easy to break, but, the kit is a nice kit.

Hope we do hear something new from Airfix and Revell😊 around Christmas time, .

Generally, the hobby is heading to top end kits, £40ish, for something nice😊 the smaller stuff being left to the cottage industry types, that's the message I got from Telford this year.

Airfix 1/24, new Spitfire Mk 1 and a Hawk same scale would be nice.

also, room for a Matchbox style manafacture 😊

18 hours ago, bradleygolding said:

You had hand to eye coordination, lack of patience,  and motor skills of a 9 year old. I some how doubt that. No modelling skills I can believe.

Steve

Wow I came across as a complete prat there. Point still stands, I've got crap hand eye co-ordination, I'm diagnosed with dyspraxia so 21 year old me probably wasn't much better, ill take the patience point as I hadn't noticed I gained patience at university, but even so I'm pretty impatient. Maybe I was better than the average 9yr old. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, k5054nz said:

"It's a pity they were not the 'stars' of the show, in fact reading the comments here I'm not sure who was?"

That's a good point Steve - on Friday night my time I was getting all excited about what would be announced at Telford, then completely forgot SMW was even on until this morning as there was no news that I noticed on Facebook from any manufacturer. I'm one of those who are guilty of expecting Airfix to announce something based on nothing more than past experience.

With Workbench I've come to expect drip-feed news throughout the year, as well as an announcement at Telford, visiting the Advent Calendar out of habit more than anything else. Maybe this year the calendar will have next year's Big One?

I spoke to one of the Airfix team- apparently a new designer- he has been there 3 months. Took the opportunity to mention awkward ejector pin marks, but he suggested that they were getting the 3 kits outr oin time for Christmas as revenue was important, and then the strategy was to release at intervals and not to have the great " surprises" so expect something around Fathers Day, Easter, etc.. That way we know what is coming  and when, so we can be ready to buy it , and that should smooth their revenue flow too.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 21:19, bentwaters81tfw said:

Blenheim slated for Nov 2018.

A cheerful rep told me all about it, and 'possibly' a Mk IV later.

Was very enthusiastic about the help they get from ALL at DX.

He would also like to see another kit in 1/24, but that is pie in the sky at present. I,m saying no more at it was 'wishful discussion' as the possible subject.  

A follow on to this as I hate trying to type with a stylus on a virtual keyboard.

The Blenheim, for those that didn't see it, comes with a fully fitted bomb bay, and an optional gun pack. They are also looking at possibly a Mk IV, with the relevant airframe differences.

They went to Finland to get all the info on the Mk1, and were allowed to copy all the aircraft manuals. Even ARCO didn't have these for the flying example.

So it appears Airfix take their subject matter very seriously. I ran one 1/48 subject past them, and got the reply that they would love to produce said item in 1/24 scale.....and if they got the go ahead, I suspect we would all be very pleased. This was a pure Wild Card, but the enthusiasm is certainly there. No, I will not say what it was.

I'd love to work on the Airfix stand at Telford, just to mess with everyone's heads.

First punter: Blenheim Mk IV? No, we're definitely stopping at the Mk I.

Next punter: Blenheim Mk IV? Yes, definitely. In fact the tooling already exists.

Next punter: 1:48 Short Sturgeon? No mate, but we're thinking about doing it in 1:24. You just watch this space!

Next punter: No mate, we're going to stop doing kits and go back to plastic combs.

etc. etc.

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

Doh ....despite earlier suggesting a 1/24th Camel based on the new Airfix calender ,I suspect its more logical that it would be  1/48th coupled with a new tool 48th EF Typhoon ( also in the Airfix calender) . 

This then gives us a boxed set of Alpha and Omega ( as it were)  To celebrate the 100th anniversary of the RAF ! ( maybe even in new tool 72nd  scale !) 

Can I claim my No-prize now please ?

3 hours ago, Neil Lambess said:

Doh ....despite earlier suggesting a 1/24th Camel based on the new Airfix calender ,I suspect its more logical that it would be  1/48th coupled with a new tool 48th EF Typhoon ( also in the Airfix calender) . 

This then gives us a boxed set of Alpha and Omega ( as it were)  To celebrate the 100th anniversary of the RAF ! ( maybe even in new tool 72nd  scale !) 

Can I claim my No-prize now please ?

Alternatively, we may see the old 1950s 2F1 Camel, a Spitfire and the old Eurofighter repackaged itno a 100 years box set

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

Alternatively, we may see the old 1950s 2F1 Camel, a Spitfire and the old Eurofighter repackaged itno a 100 years box set

Alternatively, we may see the old 1950’s 2F1 Camel, a Spitfire and the old Eurofighter repacked into a 100 years old box ....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Or we may see nothing as we don,t want to upset anyone by celebrating the RAF 

You  joke but the PC brigade will eventually try at airfix, warhammers proven the latest niche hobby to be infested 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

23 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Including me....:hmmm:

Christian, exiled to africa

Edited by wyverns4

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:46 PM, TallBlondJohn said:

Would not have liked to be sitting on the Elsan closet when this happened !

Edited by Mick4350
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Would not have liked to be sitting on the Elsan closet when this happened !

Unless it was the bloke on the Wimpy’s Elsan that caused it after the crew’s curry night! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

At Telford on Saturday I did ask the two Airfix guys who were standing by the Blenheim mock up if we could expect a MK IV after the MK I is released and was given an unequivocal NO!. The MK I has been tooled in such a way that the moulds are specific to the MK I only. I thought it strange but that was what I was told.

I suspect that after the Blenheim Mk I sells in record numbers a MK IV will be hastily tooled and released thereafter. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gordon J said:

At Telford on Saturday I did ask the two Airfix guys who were standing by the Blenheim mock up if we could expect a MK IV after the MK I is released and was given an unequivocal NO!. The MK I has been tooled in such a way that the moulds are specific to the MK I only. I thought it strange but that was what I was told.

I suspect that after the Blenheim Mk I sells in record numbers a MK IV will be hastily tooled and released thereafter. 

What a pity. I would buy a 48th scale MkIV (and MkV) but will pass on a MkI

Here is what I think will happen for Airfix in 2018.

1. We will see a change to how they promote the release of kits and the timings they use. 

2. I suspect they will get further down a development path with a project before teasing the market.

3. We will see further 1/48 releases   to broaden the Brands international appeal. 

4. Prices will rise as they look to pay off ROI more quickly.

5. They will look to augment their existing B2C sales channel.

6. If the Mustang sales are strong they we may see another 1/48 ‘golden’ subject tooled one with a core that can easily be adapted for other variants.

my 2c

Plasto

• Like 5