Airfix 2018

old thumper

4 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Works for me!  I get a bit irritated by bomber kits that don't provide a detailed bomb bay. More likely to buy them if the option is provided. Kind of wish now I had put money on Airfix not making any new kit announcement. Looks like a lot of us were getting worked up into a frenzy over nothing! 😁

Allan.  

Yes and Tamiya's Il-2 being a disappointing kit which doesn't include the bomb bays at all, could you imagine if they bought out a B-17 without a bomb bay?

Edited by Tbolt

13 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

The employees usually are the last to know what will happen... It will not bring much knowlege about the future to ask them.

Actually as it is a fairly small team at Airfix and those are the guys at the show they do know what is going on.

• Like 1

Ma fabric look

8 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Open bomb bays - bleurgh

The fabric is still a bit overdone for my tastes but a million times better than MPM or Trumpeter

I'm wondering if thats as fine they could do it? Should be nice and easy to reduce to acceptable levels with a few swipes of sand paper compared to those other kits which would take some more careful work to do.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 2

I don't understand the uproar over Airfix not announcing next year's range at Telford,  Airfix have used several marketing tactics over the last few years,Telford is just one of their marketing arenas.

Just a few years ago they announced new kits using the Advent Calendar, there was also a release list one Christmas via a website newsletter, and then there was the yearbook just a couple of years ago. Variety is the spice of life, I'm sure we'll find out what's coming once the Sea Fury, Phantom, and Mitchell have hit the shelves.

I'm not going to speculate on new releases, but hope for a few more FAA types in 1/48.

• Like 7

Much as I would love to see a 1/24 Camel from Airfix, I believe we would be more likely to see one from Merit to go with their Dr1 and SE. Gladiator would be great of course, as the start of a Interwar set, but it's not sounding at all promising.

On a point about the amount of detail that Airfix are now getting into their new 1/72 models. As much as seasoned modellers love it, trying to get my nine year old son to deal with it in one of their Starter Kits is very hard. If you can't complete the model, how can you get 'into' the hobby. This high level of detail makes for a very difficult baptism. The much simpler older models were a much better entry way in. I have resorted to buying older stuff 1960s and 70s from eBay.

If the new young modellers can't make your models, then who models in the future?

Steve

• Like 2

In the recent workbench, there is an image of the new phantom kit on which there is a helicopter - what looks like a HAS UH 5 (I might be wrong) in the background.

C_New_Airfix_McDonnell_Douglas_Phantom_F

Just saying - it might be a hint to one of there future releases.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IanHx said:

Don't know if this has been announced a long time ago (and I'm really as unobservant as SWMBO claims),  but the Airfix website is showing Shackleton AEW2 as a pre-order.....

The sprue for the new parts (bomb bay doors and radar dome) was on display, but unlike the Wimpy and B-25 parts, they weren't attracting much interest.

4 hours ago, bradleygolding said:

Much as I would love to see a 1/24 Camel from Airfix, I believe we would be more likely to see one from Merit to go with their Dr1 and SE. Gladiator would be great of course, as the start of a Interwar set, but it's not sounding at all promising.

On a point about the amount of detail that Airfix are now getting into their new 1/72 models. As much as seasoned modellers love it, trying to get my nine year old son to deal with it in one of their Starter Kits is very hard. If you can't complete the model, how can you get 'into' the hobby. This high level of detail makes for a very difficult baptism. The much simpler older models were a much better entry way in. I have resorted to buying older stuff 1960s and 70s from eBay.

If the new young modellers can't make your models, then who models in the future?

Steve

The '70s 1/48 Hurricane, Spitfire Vb, Stuka and 109F are absolutly perfect kits for beginners, and extremely cheap from shows these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichG said:

One of Ark Royal's Ships Flight: Wessex HAS.1  - Used for Search & Rescue / Plane Guard duties.

I'd like to see a bigger picture than that one above but that Walter looks like an HU.5 to me, bigger intake on the lower cowling and what looks like a single exhaust pipe for the Gnome rather than the twin exhausts from a Napier Gazelle.

Would be great if Airfix gave us a 1/72nd Wessex HC.2/HU.5 series (and the HAS.1/3 for that matter), the Italeri kits sadly, ain't right.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bradleygolding said:

As much as seasoned modellers love it, trying to get my nine year old son to deal with it in one of their Starter Kits is very hard. If you can't complete the model, how can you get 'into' the hobby.

Have you tried hobby boss 'easy assembly kits'?

29 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

The '70s 1/48 Hurricane, Spitfire Vb, Stuka and 109F are absolutly perfect kits for beginners, and extremely cheap from shows these days.

Yes I agree, but model/collectors shows are pretty thin on the ground here is South Australia, hence my eBay comment. Ideally I would like to see Airfix design their smaller kits in such a way as one sprue builds the basic kit (like it used to be) and the others add all the tiny details to satisfy both sets of modellers. And of course the starter kits need only have the one basic sprue, thus making them cheaper!

Just a thought.

Steve

Edited by bradleygolding
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gorby said:

Have you tried hobby boss 'easy assembly kits'?

Not as such, but I am looking at alternatives. I picked up the Academy Camel and SPAD the other day and both look really simple. It seems a pity to use up some old classic models in this way, but it does work. Even my five year old daughter managed a passable attempt at the Frog Gipsy Moth and Spirit of St Louis (without paint of course). It would seem to be  amarket that Airfix are running away from.

Steve

Fair point.  Given Airfix's apparent lack of desire to cater for that market nowadays, the smaller 1/72 kits I generally recommend to kids as starters in what you and I would recognise as plastic modelling are Revell re-pops of the classic Matchbox kits - really easy to build, even the biplanes - and the simpler Hobby Boss kits.

Of course as a step before even that level, the Airfix quick-build range are pretty much foolproof, look great when put together, and come in a child-pleasing array of subjects

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/by-brand/quick-build.html

1 minute ago, Work In Progress said:

Fair point.  Given Airfix's apparent lack of desire to cater for that market nowadays, the smaller 1/72 kits I generally recommend to kids as starters in what you and I would recognise as plastic modelling are Revell re-pops of the classic Matchbox kits - really easy to build, even the biplanes - and the simpler Hobby Boss kits.

Of course as a step before even that level, the Airfix quick-build range are pretty much foolproof, look great when put together, and come in a child-pleasing array of subjects

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/by-brand/quick-build.html

Yes, we have a couple of those and I think they are great, but not quite the same as a kit.

Steve

1 minute ago, Gorby said:

Ah, thanks Gorby, I have seen those here, but not for some time. I was actually looking for those recently as I thought they might be a solution.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

I'd like to see a bigger picture than that one above but that Walter looks like an HU.5 to me, bigger intake on the lower cowling and what looks like a single exhaust pipe for the Gnome rather than the twin exhausts from a Napier Gazelle.

Would be great if Airfix gave us a 1/72nd Wessex HC.2/HU.5 series (and the HAS.1/3 for that matter), the Italeri kits sadly, ain't right.

If Airfix were to do a Wessex (yes please), I suggest that HAS.3 XP142, aka Humphrey would be the obvious candidate. Otherwise an all yellow HC.2 to go with the Sea King would be nice (then we could ask for a Whirlwind too !)

Trevor

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

If Airfix were to do a Wessex (yes please), I suggest that HAS.3 XP142, aka Humphrey would be the obvious candidate. Otherwise an all yellow HC.2 to go with the Sea King would be nice (then we could ask for a Whirlwind too !)

Trevor

Trevor,

Being ex-RAF SH, I'd rather they did an HC.2 first (which could be made into a SAR HAR.2), but I'm sure Airfix could cover the differences in subsequent releases.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wez said:

Trevor,

Being ex-RAF SH, I'd rather they did an HC.2 first (which could be made into a SAR HAR.2), but I'm sure Airfix could cover the differences in subsequent releases.

Following a string of RAF trainers, I feel demand for a new Airfix series of RAF SH helicopters coming on. Put me down for a Wessex HC.2, followed by a Whirlwind HC.10/HAR.10 and then for something really special... a Belvedere HC.2 :wink:

1 hour ago, RichG said:

Following a string of RAF trainers, I feel demand for a new Airfix series of RAF SH helicopters coming on. Put me down for a Wessex HC.2, followed by a Whirlwind HC.10/HAR.10 and then for something really special... a Belvedere HC.2 :wink:

Don't forget the Puma, you could easily do an HC.1 and 2.

1 hour ago, bradleygolding said:

Didn't they do a Belvedere in the past? I seem to recall making a couple.

Steve

Sort of, it wasn't really a production standard Belvedere, more like one of the prototype Bristol 192's

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

That's the one, there's quite a bit of effort required to make it into a production Belvedere