Airfix 2018

old thumper

10 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Anyone mentioned a Ju88 yet? It's the one gap in their 1/72 Battle of Britain German bomber range

yes, many have, including myself, several pages ago^_^

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, old thumper said:

I don't think that Buccaneer lovers need lose hope of seeing a new kit from Airfix. The old Buccaneer kit always seemed popular and even though I never built it myself I think of it as one of those kits that defined a certain era of Airfix kits.

I haven't given up. Yet. But as I built my first Airfix Buccaneer in late December 1962, time is running out for me to see a new kit

When I built that kit, it had just arrived in Australia - though I didn't know that at the time - and it was my first model ever, so aside from liking the aircraft despite it not being from WW1 I owe it and Airfix an almost 55 year addiction to modelling

Shane

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Robert said:

Would Airfix commit to a 1/24 scale kit with the unknowing economic future, I would think not if they want to stay in business.

What I am surprised at is that Airfix has not sent out any teasers regarding their announcements so it may be just modifications of existing tools.

But then who on BM actually knows what Airfix business plans are, a very small handful I guess.

Robert

Well, either they have some fabulous new kit announcement lined up for Saturday.....or not.

Whatever Airfix Announce tomorrow

There will be 3 camps:

1. Hooray - Fantastic - juts what we need

2. Nice... but not for me

3. Bah... why one of them, why didn't they do my favourite etc

So some of us will be happy and some of us wont, lets just hope its a majority of one and twos from the above.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

Whatever Airfix Announce tomorrow

There will be 3 camps:

1. Hooray - Fantastic - juts what we need

2. Nice... but not for me

3. Bah... why one of them, why didn't they do my favourite etc

So some of us will be happy and some of us wont, lets just hope its a majority of one and twos from the above.

4. Hooray - Fantastic! Oh it's x scale not y..

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, PhantomBigStu said:

5. Oh based on a intial cad view the xxx is yyymm to long/short so the kit is unbuildable 

6. Oh for god's sake, why didn't they go for a Mk.X instead of a Mk.Y? Everyone knows they'd sell loads more of Mk.X etc. etc.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

4. Hooray - Fantastic! Oh it's x scale not y..

10 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

5. Oh based on a intial cad view the xxx is yyymm to long/short so the kit is unbuildable 

8 minutes ago, F111Fan said:

6. Oh for god's sake, why didn't they go for a Mk.X instead of a Mk.Y? Everyone knows they'd sell loads more of Mk.X etc. etc.

Sorry forgot that us modelers are never satisfied :banghead:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Shane said:

I haven't given up. Yet. But as I built my first Airfix Buccaneer in late December 1962, time is running out for me to see a new kit

When I built that kit, it had just arrived in Australia - though I didn't know that at the time - and it was my first model ever, so aside from liking the aircraft despite it not being from WW1 I owe it and Airfix an almost 55 year addiction to modelling

Shane

Sounds like Airfix owe you for a lifetime of dedication.  I took some comfort from the fact that after the last release of their venerable kit I read somewhere that it was being withdrawn forever, as I interpreted it.   I sort of hope that this decision was to clear the field for a new tool at some point. 

1 hour ago, F111Fan said:

Did you sat Mk.X?

In 1/72? 

PR MK.X in 1/72?

PRU Pink PR.Mk X in 1/72? 

What an excellent idea. 

• Like 1

Have just looked at  the calendar again

Missed the page which shows Subscribe & Save - there is a nice pic of 2 Hurricanes (MKIIs) in desert camouflage - so maybe that's something new?

(although they maybe part of a background to something else).

Thought I would mention it

Rich

6 minutes ago, charlie_c67 said:

Re: Airfix producing a Buccaneer, don't forget that Tanmodel have made noises about producing one in 1/72. Whether it's just noises or an official announcement I can't remember, but that needs to be taken into account too!

It was announced, but then pushed back for a 1/48th one when lots of whiners whined about it

Bit disappointed no announcement, they could have saved the Wimpey or Blenheim for SMW....unless all of a sudden something will be unveiled tomorrow - if not seems a shame to break their tradition! That said they have had a presentation in one of the suites showing behind the scenes etc and don't appear to be doing one this year so maybe its all a big reflection of HH woes and the downscaling because of them.

TT

This is from The Workbench on 21st July about Telford:

"As usual, we will also be looking to make an announcement regarding a new tooling addition to the Airfix range. We hope to see many of our readers over the weekend of the show and will be pleased to show you all our latest model announcements"

So maybe they will announce a new tooling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

This is from The Workbench on 21st July about Telford:

"As usual, we will also be looking to make an announcement regarding a new tooling addition to the Airfix range. We hope to see many of our readers over the weekend of the show and will be pleased to show you all our latest model announcements"

So maybe they will announce a new tooling.

Thanks - I knew I'd read something like this before, I just couldn't remember when. 

I just don't believe that Airfix would already announce the 1/72 Wellington and 1/48 Blenheim (both worthy candidates for a Telford unveiling) and then not announce something special this weekend.

That would just be such a major let down after the recent years of hype and excitement.

I'm pretty certain that we (... well those lucky enough to be there) will see something new once the cloth is removed from that Perspex cabinet.

Cheers.. Dave 

Got to be the 1:48 Fairey Rotordyne.

Actually, joking aside that would be an awesome kit! LOL

I am holding a lot of hope for a 1:48 Hunter or a 1:72 Vulcan.

If they upscale the Sea King / Commando to 1:48 my head might explode with glee. 

• Like 3

Yeah Workbench was suspiciously silent wasn't it? Still they've always kept the Telford announcement particularly close to the chest - the Victor was the only one I can ever remember being hinted at, albeit probably not on purpose! They'll have to do well to top the Valom DH Albatross though!

• Like 1