Airfix 2018

old thumper

10 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

You’re behind me in the queue and doubtless there are many more in front of me ^_^

Trevor

I'm plucky comic relief. They need me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I'm plucky comic relief. They need me. 

I WAS being serious about you applying to them you know. I think you'd fit right in with their culture and outlook and bring considerable skills to them. Remember Bristol 188 1/48th scale.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

And apart from Academy's cartoon effort neither has anyone else.

No, Hobbycraft  did a Mk XIV,  and  while a  clunky detail wise,  it was at least the right shape.

Oh, and the Airfix Spitfire Mk.XII and Seafire XVII  share most of the faults the Academy XIV  has as well ....

4 hours ago, IanC said:

Indeed. The Science Museum Hurricane is a fabric winged BoB veteran, with an armoured windscreen. Airfix copied the markings for their starter set, of course.

I still can't believe they'll leave it at that for the Hurri, as it's hardly representative of the aircraft's service. 

It would be great to have some later marks - maybe even a Mk IV with rockets as a homage to Airfix's very first model of it!  

Agreed, and I wasn't much impressed with their Hurricane II release a few years ago.  One of their early re-launch kits but as well trench like panel lines the shape looked wrong to me.  The Hurricane is such a staple for many modellers that I can't help thinking Airfix would serve itself well by producing some new marks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IanC said:

Indeed. The Science Museum Hurricane is a fabric winged BoB veteran, with an armoured windscreen. Airfix copied the markings for their starter set, of course.

I still can't believe they'll leave it at that for the Hurri, as it's hardly representative of the aircraft's service. 

It would be great to have some later marks - maybe even a Mk IV with rockets as a homage to Airfix's very first model of it!  

Airfix's objective is to make money, not to provide an 'adequate representation' of a particular type, nor 'complete the line up' of a Service, or per above post, 'homage to Airfix's very first model of it'.

To many potential buyers, a Hurricane is just that.  The differences between the various Marks are of no concern and this is why I'm sure calls for, say, Griffon Spitfires falls on deaf ears.  Yes, Airfix could tool a Griffon Spitfire, and it would sell, but apart from the 'no more Spitfires' brigade', there are many who would say 'But I've already got one'.

Unlike subjects such as Whitley, He111, Blenheim designed ab initio to be (re)issued in different variants, another Hurricane or Spitfire would need a totally new tool.  Airfix, like anyone else, has only limited resources and this could only be at the expense of something else.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Agreed, and I wasn't much impressed with their Hurricane II release a few years ago.  One of their early re-launch kits but as well trench like panel lines the shape looked wrong to me.  The Hurricane is such a staple for many modellers that I can't help thinking Airfix would serve itself well by producing some new marks.

for more on this kit, and the probable cause of it's shape errors...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235029079-airfix-172-hurricane-iic/&do=findComment&comment=2864676

18 minutes ago, Denford said:

To many potential buyers, a Hurricane is just that.  The differences between the various Marks are of no concern  another Hurricane or Spitfire would need a totally new tool.  Airfix, like anyone else, has only limited resources and this could only be at the expense of something else.

Sadly I think this sums it  up.   

They  have a reasonably new tool in 72nd of the IIc and IIb variants, just not not a very acccurate one, see link above.   Though for most buyers "it looks like a Hurricane"

They have made good use of the 1/48th Hurricane, with 3 different boxings using the same sprues.

I'd be surprised to see a new tool Mk.II  in 1/48th,   as they did not plan out the Mk.I  tooling, if they had they'd have made a sprue of  common to all bit,  and then tool up the different bits (which is what  Hasegawa did in 1/48th)

Though if they were to do a Mk.II, the sensible way would be  to again do what Hasegawa did,  make a B wing and C wing,  as the other Hurricane wings  are pretty easy modifications from these.

And they could then actually get it all right.

A IIb is a really good idea,  as most Canadian built planes  used the B wing,  and the Soviets got a lot of them.

So include  new Canadian prop and some  other bits for the VVS and you have two versions unkitted, and tailored for export sale,   most Hurricanes flying in Nooth America are Canadian built,   and  Russia is a big place,  with  plenty of interest in the Great Patriotic War. 

Talking of the GPW,  and one legacy kit replacement in 72nd, with good export potential as wellt, and that would have the field to itself for a new tool kit,   and some great marking potential as  more wartime pictures emerge from Russia,  would a Yak-9.

There  is  even the possibilty of doing it RAF markings,

https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?86095-Yak-9-in-British-Markings&highlight=storrar+yak

let alone post war Eastern Bloc use

I know @John Thompson   has been alking about this one for years  as well.

Hopefully someone at Airfix is taking notes ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/11/2017 at 8:35 PM, Dave Fleming said:

I'd say any talk of an agreement is nonsense. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Airfix brought forward their Shackleton when they got wind of the Revell one

Didn't say it was a fact, I don't talk in absolutes. Purely passing along what I'd heard. Though I would like to know why you think it 'nonsense'?

One point I will mention, as you've raised it.

With R&D, mould cutting, test shots, packaging and shipping taking an average of 3 years, plus having access to a 'restored' aircraft and all the manufacturers drawings, I don't think anyone at Airfix would do a 'headless chicken' because xyz is doing an abc.

If indeed this DID happen, WHAT would it achieve? just wondering..........

On 07/11/2017 at 8:41 PM, Dave Fleming said:

Nothing was scanned, Airfix examined the airframe and has access to the engineering drawings.

I stand corrected, in using the incorrect terminology.

I do think that Airfix did just a smidging more than examine the airframe, it was my understanding that they had full access to both airframe, and as the Shackleton preservation trust hold all? the manufacturing drawings............

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Didn't say it was a fact, I don't talk in absolutes. Purely passing along what I'd heard. Though I would like to know why you think it 'nonsense'?

One point I will mention, as you've raised it.

With R&D, mould cutting, test shots, packaging and shipping taking an average of 3 years, plus having access to a 'restored' aircraft and all the manufacturers drawings, I don't think anyone at Airfix would do a 'headless chicken' because xyz is doing an abc.

If indeed this DID happen, WHAT would it achieve? just wondering..........[/quote]

Supposition on my part, but by bringing it forward in the schedule (when they got wind of the Revell one) they have a chance of not losing market share - if the Airfix one had come out a year later, lots of people would have already bought the Revell kit and not been interested in an Airfix one.

Couple of other pointers - the kit has no A110004, the Valiant was A11001 - there is a gap in that sequence. Also, Airfix kits are usually pretty advanced when they get announced - the Shak was a loooong time before we got an test shots.

8 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

I stand corrected, in using the incorrect terminology.

I do think that Airfix did just a smidging more than examine the airframe, it was my understanding that they had full access to both airframe, and as the Shackleton preservation trust hold all? the manufacturing drawings............

Many people have assumed Airfix have used LIDAR scanning for every new kit; but that has difficulties, especially for large subjects or subjects that are predominantly outdoors.

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

Many people have assumed Airfix have used LIDAR scanning for every new kit; but that has difficulties, especially for large subjects or subjects that are predominantly outdoors.

And those that are suspended.  They move: not much, but a lot compared with the wavelength of the LIDAR beam.

As a product designer working on complex 3d CAD designs my preferred choice to create a CAD model of an aircraft would first and foremost be engineering drawings and scanned data (LIDAR) would only be used as a last resort, and I suspect this is Airfix's approach as well. The amount of additional work required to reverse engineer scanned data makes working from engineering drawings that much more cost effective. B)

But, onto more serious things, more guesstimates for Telford and the following year! I reckon that Airfix will either announce a Sopwith Camel or Panavia Tornado, or both, based on their recent calendar images mentioned above. Both will be 1/72 and will fit nicely with the RAF centenary and the Tornado will slot in nicely with the Phantom due for release soon.

Sadly I don't think there will be a new 1/24 kit this year, but most probably next year. I'm one of those in team spitfire who would love a new tool Mk IX and refuses to buy the old 1/24 range.:penguin:When it comes to 1/24 if I'm going to expend that much energy and cash then I want new tooling, not 1970's vintage... :P :rage:

Of course Airfix could surprise us all and announce a 1/350 and 1/700 Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carrier but I reckon that's wishful thinking! :idea:

• Like 4

On 11/8/2017 at 1:49 AM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Just a curveball but you dont think they'd do a 1/72 Buccaneer do you... :)

No. I've been praying for one for many years and my luck is usually pretty constantly bad when I want something that much :-(

I resorted to begging and pleading about four years ago. Same amount of luck.  I'd try threats, but everyone just laughs.

Shane

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Shane said:

No. I've been praying for one for many years and my luck is usually pretty constantly bad when I want something that much :-(

I resorted to begging and pleading about four years ago. Same amount of luck.  I'd try threats, but everyone just laughs.

Shane

The comment at the Phantom launch last year was "Buy enough of these and we'll give you a Bucc."

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Denford said:

Airfix's objective is to make money, not to provide an 'adequate representation' of a particular type, nor 'complete the line up' of a Service, or per above post, 'homage to Airfix's very first model of it'.

To many potential buyers, a Hurricane is just that.  The differences between the various Marks are of no concern and this is why I'm sure calls for, say, Griffon Spitfires falls on deaf ears.  Yes, Airfix could tool a Griffon Spitfire, and it would sell, but apart from the 'no more Spitfires' brigade', there are many who would say 'But I've already got one'.

Unlike subjects such as Whitley, He111, Blenheim designed ab initio to be (re)issued in different variants, another Hurricane or Spitfire would need a totally new tool.  Airfix, like anyone else, has only limited resources and this could only be at the expense of something else.

If differences between marks 'are of no concern' why has Airfix produced four 1/72 Spitfires - Mks I, II/Va, IX and XIX? 

Given the continuing popularity of the Hurricane among everyone from serious modellers to casual buyers, they may at some stage consider it makes perfect economic sense to do another one, especially one which offers a wider variety of weapons and marking options. Not forgetting the chance for some nice new box art. 

And why rule out the much-requested Griffon Spit? If you think it would sell, maybe Airfix does too! Stranger things have happened... ;)

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, IanC said:

If differences between marks 'are of no concern' why has Airfix produced four 1/72 Spitfires - Mks I, II/Va, IX and XIX? 

Given the continuing popularity of the Hurricane among everyone from serious modellers to casual buyers, they may at some stage consider it makes perfect economic sense to do another one, especially one which offers a wider variety of weapons and marking options. Not forgetting the chance for some nice new box art. 

And why rule out the much-requested Griffon Spit? If you think it would sell, maybe Airfix does too! Stranger things have happened... ;)

Quite.  Totally agree and if marks aren't important why produce a Spitfire XII and Seafire 17 in 1/48th, two pretty rare versions of the Spitfire, and not just a Battle of Britain era (i.e. popular with casual builders) Mk1? If they consigned their Hurricane II kit to history and produced a new and good tool of the mk II with interchangeable wings (like Revell did) they could regularly re-pop the kit in different markings etc ad infinitum. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IanC said:

Don't forget the "out of production" Mk 22, another Griffon engined mark. While Airfix might consider the Griffon engined marks done, I wouldn't rule out a Mk XIV, especially as so many modellers seem to cry out for one.

• Like 3

Just a passing thought. Wouldn't it be hilarious if, after all the bally hoo and fevered speculation on these pages  that Airfix made NO announcement at Telford?:whistle::whistle:

(Cue cries of : "Consign the heretic to the pyres of Smithfield")

SWIFTLY TAKES COVER!!

Allan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, IanC said:

The last of these (though not sure which!) was 5 - 7? years ago.

Since then Airfix have surely become sadder and wiser.  I suspect there may be something of a law of diminishing returns ie each subsequent issue sells less than the previous. If there is anyone out there with a career in Marketting I'd be glad of their comments: not just somebody who thinks because they want something it would sell!

Seriously though, tooling of say a XlV can only be at the expense of something else. The cries of 'not another Spitfire' will come from those might have bought the 'something else'.  Again to many a Spitfire is just a Spitfire and they've already got one (so won't be buying another) but again might have bought the 'something else'.  Perhaps an XlV would be something of a 'niche' subject and that doesn't seem to be Airfix's strategy.

There are still many, many subjects of broad appeal that are 1) Hard to find 2) Inaccurate 3) Available but expensive (hello Hasegawa) 4) OK but not up to current standards 5) Not previously tooled.

Don't get me wrong: I'd love to see an XlV but even more want to see Airfix thriving ie making money.  That's their business, not providing variants of an aircraft without which no line up would be complete.

2 minutes ago, Robert said:

If Airfix need to make loads of money release a new tooled F-4E/F/EJ Phantom in 1/72, loads of schemes there.

Robert

Now THAT I could certainly live with !! You can never have too many Phantoms! Cue cries of "not an other Phantom!!":whistle::winkgrin::winkgrin:.

Allan

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Denford said:

3) Available but expensive (hello Hasegawa) 4) OK but not up to current standards

From that and @TEXANTOMCAT list of the top ten best sellers, I predict a 1/48 Seaking.

It would be one of very few (possibly only) helicopters that I would be interested in buying.

• Like 1

Vampire T11.................. 1/24 ........................................ or better still 1/48

Dick

Lets face it come 10.30 am on Saturday ..... a lot of modellers will be jumping for joy. While a lot will be brassed off.

It's called modelling life.   :whistle:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Just a passing thought. Wouldn't it be hilarious if, after all the bally hoo and fevered speculation on these pages  that Airfix made NO announcement at Telford?:whistle::whistle:

Only if they have a death wish. Their location in the corner of the Hall makes escape from a baying mob difficult. (not that we don't mob them anyway.)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, iainpeden said:

The comment at the Phantom launch last year was "Buy enough of these and we'll give you a Bucc."

1 hour ago, jenko said:

Vampire T11.................. 1/24 ........................................ or better still 1/48

Dick

Lets face it come 10.30 am on Saturday ..... a lot of modellers will be jumping for joy. While a lot will be brassed off.

It's called modelling life.   :whistle:

I don't think that Buccaneer lovers need lose hope of seeing a new kit from Airfix. The old Buccaneer kit always seemed popular and even though I never built it myself I think of it as one of those kits that defined a certain era of Airfix kits. The Buccaneer is also in keeping with the rest of the Airfix range.

I don't build jets myself but if a new Buccaneer is announced  for 2018 I would consider that a wise choice by Airfix.  I would rather Airfix produce kits I don't want that sell than kits I do want which are met with a slow response.