Airfix 2018

old thumper

15 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

You're not the only one who doesn't think the Hunter is the most beautiful aircraft ever. It certainly ranks below the Spitfire. But, the most beautiful aircraft I ever saw has to be Concorde, and it's really not close.

Would have to agree with you on that. I find it somewhat surprising that even now the only model choices are the vintage Airfix and Revell (Otaki moulds I believe?) 1/144 kits and, the Revell reissue of the Airfix/Heller 1/72 kit. I can remember a local football match being played across the road where I lived. I heard a spectator shout "Look, there's Concorde" and, the match actually stopped as everyone turned to watch!!. What other aircraft had that effect on people. On her last flight into Edinburgh, almost 15000 people turned up to see her! Without doubt the most beautiful thing ever to take to the skies - bar none!!

Amidst all the feverish anticipation and ballyhoo over what Airfix could/must/should produce I don't think I have seen any comment yet about Concorde 

Allan

ps - second most beautiful has to be the F-104! Sorry Hunter fans!!:winkgrin:

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, grahamwalker said:

i think HMS WARRIOR down in Portsmouth would be a nice model and a NEW VICTROY

so would HMS Cavalier! I believe she is the only genuine WWII British destroyer left anywhere.

Allan

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tank152 said:

A 1/48 Bf109 G-6 would be nice ☺

Cue cries of "not another Bf-109 etc etc!":winkgrin:. Actually, I believe Tamiya are already planning same!

Allan

ps - anybody for a new tool 1/72 Concorde?

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

What other aircraft had that effect on people.

Vulcan   :crying::sorry:

I concur, Concorde (and Vulcan) need a new-tooling. -I built the 1:144 Revell Concorde a few months ago- a real pain to get right in terms of accuracy (windshield, nose droop, landing gear water/spray deflectors, etc).

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 1

Just now, cathasatail said:

I concur, Concorde (and Vulcan) need a new-tooling. -I built the 1:144 Revell Concorde a few months ago- a real pain to get right in terms of accuracy (windshield, nose droop, landing gear water/spray deflectors, etc.

Sam

OK - Fair comment!!:winkgrin::lol:

Allan

25 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Cue cries of "not another Bf-109 etc etc!":winkgrin:. Actually, I believe Tamiya are already planning same!

Allan

ps - anybody for a new tool 1/72 Concorde?

I'm sure it would almost tip a few folk over the edge if they did announce one!! 

2 hours ago, cathasatail said:

I concur, Concorde (and Vulcan) need a new-tooling. -I built the 1:144 Revell Concorde a few months ago- a real pain to get right in terms of accuracy (windshield, nose droop, landing gear water/spray deflectors, etc).

Sam

Indeed, but then so do many other subjects.  And don't forget those subjects that Airfix haven't yet tooled. 

There were some postings awhile back putting the case for a Lincoln which I submit is stronger than that for the Vulcan.  At least the latter (despite its dated tooling) exists, whereas (apart from the Blackbird conversion) there's nothing for the Lincoln.

3 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

1/144 Avro Lincoln

Now that I'd really very much like, please Mr. Airfix...!! I was thinking the other day that whilst I'll keep banging on about Airfix doing the right thing about downscaling the Javelin & Sea Vixen that it would be nice if they also re-started doing kits in 1/144 by downscaling things like the Lancaster BII, B-17, Shackleton, Nimrod, forthcoming Wellington etc & then giving us new tools like a Halifax, Stirling &, pretty, pretty please, a Hastings in both 1/72 & 1/144....I'll just 'dream on' too...!!

Keith

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Now that I'd really very much like, please Mr. Airfix...!! I was thinking the other day that whilst I'll keep banging on about Airfix doing the right thing about downscaling the Javelin & Sea Vixen that it would be nice if they also re-started doing kits in 1/144 by downscaling things like the Lancaster BII, B-17, Shackleton, Nimrod, forthcoming Wellington etc & then giving us new tools like a Halifax, Stirling &, pretty, pretty please, a Hastings in both 1/72 & 1/144....I'll just 'dream on' too...!!

Keith

Airfix said a while ago that they were discontinuing 1/144 airliners, though I guess that applies to the scale as a whole.

Would I be right in saying that 1/144 is more Corgi territory?

11 minutes ago, Denford said:

Would I be right in saying that 1/144 is more Corgi territory?

I don't see why, I get Corgi e-mails & while I take little notice of them it appears to me they now do more 1/72 & even 1/48 (recent Lightning looked good for a diecast!) models than 1/144. And tbh, it's really about time they retired their airliners (I'd be very happy if they did & then surprised us by retooling ones like the VC-10, Vanguard,1-11 & Trident!)

Keith

I always expected the next Matchbox 1/32 scale kit to be a Gladiator! Given the range of markings options, I'm a bit surprised the mainstream hasn't looked at a large scale kit.

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I don't see why

I agree.

What I do not understand is that 1/144 is a good scale for large aircraft and when one considers the size of the average home is now shrinking at the same rate as my wallet will next weekend then it makes sense, there is now more choice in this scale than ever before so someone has done their homework.

I have several large plane kits in 1/72 but I would be equally happy if they were in 1/144, in fact I wish I had bought some of them in that scale...especially the Revell  A400.

Edited by Head in the clouds.
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

I agree.

What I do not understand is that 1/144 is a good scale for large aircraft and when one considers the size of the average home is now shrinking at the same rate as my wallet will next weekend then it makes sense, there is now more choice in this scale than ever before so someone has done their homework.

I have several large plane kits in 1/72 but I would be equally happy if they were in 1/144, in fact I wish I had bought some of them in that scale...especially the Revell  A400.

You'll have to ask Airfix why no 1/144 or 1/32. 

However the present Airfix is nothing like that of the 'golden years' of the 70's, when there were 4 new releases in one month!  We may not get much more than that in all of 2018!

Recently it was stated that less than 10 persons truly work for Airfix: to attempt to cover too wide a range of scales, types etc would spread them too thin.  There's have to be at least one in each scale each year.

I quite agree that 1/144 is a 'good' scale for large types, but that doesn't mean that Airfix or anyone else have to tool to that scale.  Airfix are in the business to make money and not, as many who post messages appear to think, provide a comprehensive line up of types.  If a B-36, A380 etc are too large for 1/72, then tool something else or probably two instead! 

• Like 1

On 04/11/2017 at 2:48 PM, old thumper said:

I agree about the Camel, but reckon that lots of casual builders would want a Fokker Triplane as both the Red Baron and Snoopy flew them. 

The Red Baron definitely flew the Dr.1, but I’m pretty sure Snoopy (aka The World War 1 Flying Ace) ‘flew’ a Sopwith Camel.

Richard

• Like 1

On 04/11/2017 at 2:48 PM, old thumper said:

I agree about the Camel, but reckon that lots of casual builders would want a Fokker Triplane as both the Red Baron and Snoopy flew them. 

The Red Baron definitely flew the Dr.1, but I’m pretty sure Snoopy (aka The World War 1 Flying Ace) ‘flew’ a Sopwith Camel.

Richard

So we know about the Wimpey and the Blenheim.... am sure I read a few years ago that the Lincoln at Cosford was being measured up so maybe that’s next?

Airfix always sensibly choose to hold back their star release for Telford, the first ever injected Lincoln would cut the mustard....

however theres not been a jet yet and considering the clamour by those excellent people after a Hunter...

The absolute no brainier would be a 1/48 Lancaster- the Tamiya kit is so long in the tooth now- would sell like hot cakes yet no one has done a replacement. Same for the Monogram and Revell B17 TBH...

Airfix rolled the dice on a high value model in the Mosquito and then Tiffie in 1/24. Not sure how well the mosaic sold but we know the Tiffie sold by the boatload (though their are plenty of car doors left in stock it seems) if they double down then the Lanc would do it or maybe a 1/24 Gladiator. A 1/24 Camel is a good shout but would they sell loads when the superlative WW series is only slightly smaller and has the engineering, prestige and heritage with TFL?

Roll on next week! TT

Although I’d love a new tooled 1/72 Lincoln, I believe that major manufacturers do talk to the AM brigade. Blackbird models’ Lincoln conversion (based on the Mk.II Airfix Lanc) would have only been issued knowing that this was not on the Airfix radar for quite a few years yet. On that basis I think we can also rule out a new tool Neptune MR.1 (I’m afraid). 

Now a new tooled 1:48 Hunter must surely be around the corner - Hornby management would not be that daft to ignore this virtual cash cow. Can we at least have the early and more colourful versions first for a change!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Although I’d love a new tooled 1/72 Lincoln, I believe that major manufacturers do talk to the AM brigade. Blackbird models’ Lincoln conversion (based on the Mk.II Airfix Lanc) would have only been issued knowing that this was not on the Airfix radar for quite a few years yet. On that basis I think we can also rule out a new tool Neptune MR.1 (I’m afraid). 

Now a new tooled 1:48 Hunter must surely be around the corner - Hornby management would not be that daft to ignore this virtual cash cow. Can we at least have the early and more colourful versions first for a change!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

And yet, only Academy (I'm not counting the ancient and toylike Lindberg kit) has done an IM kit in 1/48. Clearly there is a market for the subject as the Academy kit keeps getting re-released, including a version in an Italeri box. I'm just dreading Trumpeter announcing one and then royally screwing it up like they did with their Vampire kit.

21 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

And yet, only Academy (I'm not counting the ancient and toylike Lindberg kit) has done an IM kit in 1/48. Clearly there is a market for the subject as the Academy kit keeps getting re-released, including a version in an Italeri box. I'm just dreading Trumpeter announcing one and then royally screwing it up like they did with their Vampire kit.

Your not alone with that fear VMA.... I have nightmares!! 

Every year that Airfix delay a new tooled Hunter announcement, it increases the chance that someone else will release an inaccurate kit and spoil it for everyone (and I hardly think Tamiya or Eduard will come to the party). As you rightly mention, the Vampire is a classic example of this. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Some more 1/76 armour would be good...  Maybe a Ferret and retooled Saracen?  Bedford RL?

A rerelease of the Orion Shuttle would be welcome...  I've got a set of El Al markings to use up.

As for snoopy, surely he'd be best served by a Sopwith Tripe-hound-plane?

I'm off now.