Airfix 2018

old thumper

New Airfix Calendar suggests my idea of 1/24 Camel from last Friday is further ahead than I thought!

Keep up chaps!

Still, I would have preferred a 1/24 SE5a!

Edited by malpaso
I thought it first!

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

New Airfix Calendar suggests my idea of 1/24 Camel from last Friday is further ahead than I thought!

Keep up chaps!

Still, I would have preferred a 1/24 SE5a!

If it's a 1/24 SE5a you're after Merit do a reasonable one... Merit 1/24 SE5A ^_^

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

That was Culley's set up and his Camel is preserved by the IWM at Lambeth

Its a likely subject for Airfix to do as its readily available for measuring and photographing

3 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

Ooooo!  Good point.

Paul.

Hmm, that was the aircraft they modelled in the old 1950s kit.  It's a 2F1 rather than the RFC's F1

Edited by Dave Fleming

1 hour ago, Phantom Phil said:

Could this be an indicator of what is to come??  What scale though....

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/aerodrome/raf-leuchars-salutes-the-panavia-tornado-f3/

Definitely 1:72 if that was so, I can't see them competing with Revell's newly-released 1:48 Tornado F3. A 1:72 Tornado Gr4/F3 to complement Revell's 1:72 Gr1 would be nice :)

37 minutes ago, Phantom Phil said:

Could this be an indicator of what is to come??  What scale though....

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/aerodrome/raf-leuchars-salutes-the-panavia-tornado-f3/

But which aircraft? I think they are teasing with us. Will it be the Tornado, Typhoon, Hudson (yes please), Lancaster, Vulcan, Saab, Sabre?

• Like 2

On 02/11/2017 at 4:42 PM, trickydicky210 said:

Hannants have the following xtradecal  https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48186 as a future release. Could Airfix be about to release a 1/48 Phantom?

Or, the set could just as likely be for the Hasegawa re issue 1/48 Phantom FG 1 which is listed as a new arrival?l

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

On 2 November 2017 at 9:54 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Does anyone think that the Sopwith Camel and Typhoon GR.4 on the cover of the 2018 Airfix Modelworld calendar may be a subtle hint to what’s in stall for next year?? 

Cheers.. Dave

Having now bought the magazine and seen the calendar front cover I've got  a horrible sinking feeling that we are looking at the RAF 100 special multi kit box art which will contain the ancient Camel.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Having now bought the magazine and seen the calendar front cover I've got  a horrible sinking feeling that we are looking at the RAF 100 special multi kit box art which will contain the ancient Camel.

In conjunction with what the RAF museum are doing ....makes sense .

Now what about  what will be revealed on this day next week at 10 am. at Telford ????

Dick

• Like 1

On 30/10/2017 at 3:35 PM, ted15 said:

Please Mr & Mrs Airfix, don't forget the Meteor FR9 and NF11,12,13 & 14B) all 1/48th. Mick

If you have F8 you've no doubt noticed there are what can only be nose camera windows on the clear sprue.

I suspect the calendar cover gives a clue for a box set for the RAF 100. Featuring those three so the Camel will most likely be 1/72. Inside there is artwork for the camel on its own though same pose so a Camel will be on the cards and also tie in with centenary of WW1 and Armistice.

18 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Reissuing the old Camel (it's only ...what!...60 years or so old now) would be a huge step backwards for the Airfix brand IMHO. Notice that even with the WWI centenary events Airfix has not re-released any of their legacy WWI kits When they could clearly have done so. If they are doing a Camel next year, it will be a new tool. I really hope they don't do another Fokker Dr.I to go along with it though. I'd much rather see a D.VII or an Albatros D.III or a German 2-seater: a Hannover CL.II perhaps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

Reissuing the old Camel (it's only ...what!...60 years or so old now) would be a huge step backwards for the Airfix brand IMHO. Notice that even with the WWI centenary events Airfix has not re-released any of their legacy WWI kits When they could clearly have done so. If they are doing a Camel next year, it will be a new tool. I really hope they don't do another Fokker Dr.I to go along with it though. I'd much rather see a D.VII or an Albatros D.III or a German 2-seater: a Hannover CL.II perhaps.

I agree about the Camel, but reckon that lots of casual builders would want a Fokker Triplane as both the Red Baron and Snoopy flew them. 

• Like 3

On 11/2/2017 at 7:39 AM, old thumper said:

Yes I have long reckoned a Sopwith Camel and Fokker Triplane, because they are the only two WW1 aircraft that most people know.

I would actually be surprised if most people could name a single WWI aircraft.

On 10/26/2017 at 10:27 AM, SleeperService said:

I'd agree with that and I'm THE person who doesn't think it's the most beautiful aircraft ever. Close second would be the Vampire in 48th. A 48th T.11 would offer lots and lots of marking options but I think a single seater more likely.

Still hope for a British Heavy rhomboid in 48th though....

You're not the only one who doesn't think the Hunter is the most beautiful aircraft ever. It certainly ranks below the Spitfire. But, the most beautiful aircraft I ever saw has to be Concorde, and it's really not close.

• Like 4

And the Shuttleworth Collection flew its late production Sopwith Camel earler this year - another one easily available to Airfix research team for measuring and LIDARing.  

http://www.shuttleworth.org/news/sopwithcamel_firstflight/

The Sopwith Camels in IWM and RAFM were hard to access last time I saw them.

There are no surviving Fokker triplanes or drawing sets to go by, only more or less believable replicas - so a no-starter if Airfix is to stick to its documentation rules.

So where is the Avro 504K that I have predicted/wanted?

What about finding a middle ground between "British" and "that famous Fokker" and so giving us a Sopwith Triplane?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2