Airfix 2018

old thumper

19 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If Airfix want to see profitability then a 1/48 Hawker Hunter is the answer.

I'd agree with that and I'm THE person who doesn't think it's the most beautiful aircraft ever. Close second would be the Vampire in 48th. A 48th T.11 would offer lots and lots of marking options but I think a single seater more likely.

Still hope for a British Heavy rhomboid in 48th though....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Denford said:

re-scaling (especially down) of which the Meteor F8 is surely a prime subject,

Not as prime as the Sea Vixen or Javelin!!! Or as long overdue either - although it did take them 20 or more years to downscale the excellent 48th Lightning to the One True Scale (although they still haven't done a small tank F1/2/3) so I suppose we shouldn't expect them to rush.....:fraidnot:

2 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

or maybe something Italian, such as MC.202.

Yeah, that's going to happen...

Would be lovely though. Indeed, it's high time for something Soviet or Italian.

4 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Two announcements so far have indeed been "large" and both British - so I feel like tomorrow will be a small, popular, non-British WW2 subject.

My guesses are T-6 Harvard, P-38, Corsair or maybe something Italian, such as MC.202.

They always or nearly always do a US subject.  Corsair (at least early) from Tamiya, Hellcat (from Eduard) are state of art.  But there are lots of others due retooling.  My favourite (so it probably won't happen!) Avenger, with Dauntless in second place.

I still hope they will come with a 1/48 Hampden, the one in the Cosford Museum is being restored currently and this one is going to fly !!!

They also should downscale as they did with their Defiant..

Hope you are reading this Airfix as this aircraft should fit nicely next to my 1/48 Airfix Blenheim....:D

• Like 7

The Hampden at Cosford is being restored to 'flyable' condintion, but it will not be going to fly

The restorers are leaving certain defects in it which will not allow it to get a flying certificate

1 hour ago, janneman36 said:

I still hope they will come with a 1/48 Hampden, the one in the Cosford Museum is being restored currently and this one is going to fly !!!

They also should downscale as they did with their Defiant..

Hope you are reading this Airfix as this aircraft should fit nicely next to my 1/48 Airfix Blenheim....:D

Your words are mine!

• Like 2

You know, after reading Chris Thomas’ recent Osprey title “Tempest units of the RAF”, a 1/24 Tempest V/II/VI would sit very nicely alongside the classic big scale Typhoon kits. Its surprising how many colour schemes adorned this beautiful aircraft, especially post war. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

Airfix always make a big announcement at Telford. Could we open the flood gates and have a little wager what it will be?

I'll open the bidding with.....................

1/24 Sea Fury or...... 1/24 Beaufighter.

Dick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

The Hampden at Cosford is being restored to 'flyable' condintion, but it will not be going to fly

The restorers are leaving certain defects in it which will not allow it to get a flying certificate

That i didn't knew , i  interpreted the info as it was going to fly... but never say never:D

Nevertheles thank you very much for this info:yes:

7 hours ago, Denford said:

They always or nearly always do a US subject.  Corsair (at least early) from Tamiya, Hellcat (from Eduard) are state of art.  But there are lots of others due retooling.  My favourite (so it probably won't happen!) Avenger, with Dauntless in second place.

I think most brands would want both of those aircraft represented in their range, especially so the Corsair.

The American aircraft I would most like to see is a P-38. Airfix have already produced two toolings of the P-38 so maybe we could get a third, but I don't think it is very likely. I heard talk of a new B-24 somewhere, I would expect one at some point just not this year.

Not long before we find out what's coming out in 2018 now. 

7 hours ago, RussellE said:

How about a new tool 1/72 Ju88? :idea:

The only a/c from Battle of Britain not to be retooled by Airfix so far...

I've said this many times but it's worth repeating, careful breakdown of the moulds could yield A-1 and A-5 (BoB versions), later A-5, A-11 and A-14 as well as C-2 and C-4 versions, colour schemes from the BoB, Eastern Front, the Med, nightfighter etc, etc.

Personally, I'd rather a Hunter (F1/4 and T7), in 1/72nd and all versions in 1/48th but I could live with the Ju-88A-1 etc...

Edited by Wez
grammar

I wonder how many kits will be new versions of existing tools

i.e further 1/48 Meteor variants

MkII Hurricane in 1/48

RAF Phantom in 1/72

Early Beaufighter in 1/72

and as for up scaling would expect to see a 1/48 Tiger Moth at some point and maybe a Gladiator

Now a 1/24 Gladiator would be a nice addition

I think we will see a 1/48 Hunter - Hopefully a twin seater (that's my guess for Telford).

Wonder what todays Workbench will reveal :wink:

5 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

I wonder how many kits will be new versions of existing tools

i.e further 1/48 Meteor variants

MkII Hurricane in 1/48

RAF Phantom in 1/72

Early Beaufighter in 1/72

and as for up scaling would expect to see a 1/48 Tiger Moth at some point and maybe a Gladiator

Now a 1/24 Gladiator would be a nice addition

I think we will see a 1/48 Hunter - Hopefully a twin seater (that's my guess for Telford).

Wonder what todays Workbench will reveal :wink:

A mk2 hurricane would new a whole new spruce tooled (more than one given it's a new wings and fuselage), but that probably is quite a smart investment, partial retool with all the right parts ans you've got it a load of additional potential boxings 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1