Airfix 2018

old thumper

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

I wouldn't even consider the asking prices for them.

Sold one for £15 in the Kit Swap at Telford last year as I didn't have room to keep two of them lanquishing in the stash any longer. Other one is still there...!!

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

a Class 58, Class 59, Class37, Class 66, Class 47, Class 60..

Only after they've done an 8, 14, 20, 24, 25, 33, 35, 37, 42, 50 & 52 though....!! 

It would be a fantastic collection, but just imagine the cost!

Keith

58 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Sold one for £15 in the Kit Swap at Telford last year as I didn't have room to keep two of them lanquishing in the stash any longer. Other one is still there...!!

Only after they've done an 8, 14, 20, 24, 25, 33, 35, 37, 42, 50 & 52 though....!! 

Keith

Cost?? Details! Mere details!!:D. I find it best not to dwell on such minutiae!! (provided the individual cost per kit was reasonable). Totally agree with your choices too. In fact, why not go the whole hog and do the entire collection of UK operated  diesels right through to the current class 70!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

The cost of a range of Airfix loco kits would be tiny compared to that same collection from Hornby as ready to run locos. And there is the commercial justification, railway modellers would buy them a static models for their layouts (and possible motorisation) whilst other modellers would by them just for shelf coverage. The same argument could be made of Scalextric cars and to a lesser extent Corgi.

4 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Are the decals that bad? Im planning to build mine over the Christmas break and youve got me worried....

You really need aftermarket decals for the Nimrod. There were a number of Model Alliance sheets but these are long out of print. They do show up on ebay from time-to-time.

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Cost?? Details! Mere details!!:D. I find it best not to dwell on such minutiae!! (provided the individual cost per kit was reasonable). Totally agree with your choices too. In fact, why not go the whole hog and do the entire collection of UK operated  diesels right through to the current class 70!

Allan

There was a reason Rosebud/Kitmaster failed and the moulds ended up with Airfix. Locomotive models are a niche submarket of a niche market. Part of the problem is that people who buy model trains want them to run.

5 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

There was a reason Rosebud/Kitmaster failed and the moulds ended up with Airfix.

And now they're with Dapol, who are still producing most of them!

But the discussion about loco's started with an idea of Airfix producing a 1/32nd one, and although there are running Gauge 1 layouts, most are garden railways, and although I hesitate to say, not particularly realistic (IMO only of course!). So a range of highly detailed, static display loco's in that scale would be tremendous. If something of a pipedream....!! :)

Keith

15 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

And now they're with Dapol, who are still producing most of them!

But the discussion about loco's started with an idea of Airfix producing a 1/32nd one, and although there are running Gauge 1 layouts, most are garden railways, and although I hesitate to say, not particularly realistic (IMO only of course!). So a range of highly detailed, static display loco's in that scale would be tremendous. If something of a pipedream....!! :)

Keith

They are only with Dapol because the owner of Dapol happened to be present at Airfix when they decided to scrap the molds. If I remember the story correctly, he intervened and offered to take the moulds after he saw someone take a sledgehammer to the mould for the Stirling single (never re-released by Airfix and never to be re-released once it was destroyed).

Edited by VMA131Marine

On 15/10/2017 at 11:08 AM, Robert said:

If Airfix decide to go for something smaller and 1/72 l would like to see ..............

Robert

..........a new-mould SA341 Gazelle. It is now slated for AAC retirement in 2018 and what better way to mark its many years of service than with a new kit! Here's hoping.

BM.

• Like 3

🤔 a 1/24 Me 262 ... that would be nice but what about a seafire or Griffin engined late spitfire ? I think the market would be quite large for either one of those ? Yes Airfix has the Mk 1 and Trumpeter have the Mk V. But how about a Mk XIV ? Or a Seafire III ? Oh well thats my Two pennys thoughts.  

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

🤔 a 1/24 Me 262 ... that would be nice but what about a seafire or Griffin engined late spitfire ? I think the market would be quite large for either one of those ? Yes Airfix has the Mk 1 and Trumpeter have the Mk V. But how about a Mk XIV ? Or a Seafire III ? Oh well thats my Two pennys thoughts.  

Forget it. Cannot be done. Me 262... :P:P:P

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mps02 said:

My bet/ hope is for a 1/24 Me262. This would be a novel move as there has never been one in this scale before and the Typhoon and Mosquito show that a good quality kit can sell very well.

Yes, yes, yes! I've been saying this for years. The 262 is enormously popular around the world and I believe it would be a money spinner for which ever company produces it. I could be wrong, but I believe that Britmodeller members (and particularly the ones who get involved) are just the tip of the iceberg. There are many, many more who just want to glue a few bits of plastic together to get a Spitfire. They don't care what mark of Spitfire, just as long as it looks vaguely Spitfire shaped. How else can you explain why Airfix are still producing, and presumably still selling in quantity, a kit that is nearly fifty years old? I also think that many of these modellers would be put off by the prices of a new tooled Spitfire. A quick look on Evilbay and a 1/24 Spit, about £25, a 1/24 Typhoon you would lucky to get for £50.

Of course it would be good to get a new tool Spit, 109, 190 etc. but they are inevitability going to come some day soon, personally I think something new would be a good earner for Airfix.

Whatever is to be announced at Telford had better be good. They have already confirmed a 1/72 Wellington and a 1/48 Blenheim and I think most would have been happy if either of those had been the ‘big’ announcement. 

So I’m guessing something in at least 1/48. 

I still think Sabre.

Trevor

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Whatever is to be announced at Telford had better be good. They have already confirmed a 1/72 Wellington and a 1/48 Blenheim and I think most would have been happy if either of those had been the ‘big’ announcement. 

So I’m guessing something in at least 1/48. 

I still think Sabre.

Trevor

Nah!! You got it all wrong Trevor!! The "big" announcement will be :

"Well, that's it till next year folks!!":D:rofl::P

Allan

PS -Juuuuuuuust kidding ! (I hope!):idea: 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Out of my wishes in 1:48 the most mainstream ones will be a Sea King (been long time since their last whirlybird in that scale) and a Spey Phantom. Both already exist as new tools in 1:72 and I suppose both will be good sellers so a safe bet for 1:48 I should think and both complex enough to make a big announcement. Both came in a lot of liveries - and the Spey Phantom can come as a 100 Years First Atlantic Crossing box set with the new tool Vimy in 2019! I can wait.

René

• Like 1

I had a dream last night, saw a shelf of airfix kits in a shop, most of them not the real life stuff (one of them was downright ludicrous), but right there was a new tool canberra b2/6  1/72. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that will be announcement tommorow in the workbench.

watch as I'm totally wrong........

• Like 1

As I've said before, don't expect too much of Airfix for 2018.

Hornby have been through 'difficult times', although hopefully the worst is behind them.  That said even the smallest subject takes at least a year from go-ahead and that requires a budget for however far ahead Hornby have granted Airfix.   Probably not as much or as far ahead as in past years: certainly not until the new management team feels that demonstrated profitability is a result of their actions.

So expect more low-cost subjects such as re-issues with new decals, re-scaling (especially down) of which the Meteor F8 is surely a prime subject, hopefully to be followed by the Sea Fury, though probably not till 2019.  That said we've seen nothing small for next year so perhaps the much requested 1/72 Hunter is a possibility...?  Physically not much smaller than the Phantom announced at last year's Telford.

After that, I feel no more announcements till December in something like Advent Calendar revelations.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Denford said:

re-scaling (especially down) of which the Meteor F8 is surely a prime subject, hopefully to be followed by the Sea Fury,

... and the Walrus, hopefully ...

• Like 1

Two announcements so far have indeed been "large" and both British - so I feel like tomorrow will be a small, popular, non-British WW2 subject.

My guesses are T-6 Harvard, P-38, Corsair or maybe something Italian, such as MC.202.