Airfix 2018

old thumper

16 minutes ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Left field would be a 1/32 A4 pacific

'Left field'? That's so far to the west you can't see it....!! Why would they introduce a completely new range of steam loco's in a scale they've never done before? I would certainly buy one if they resurrected the old 00 range & gave it things like separate handrails (so they could be replaced with wire more easily!) and a proper decal sheet!

But when typing this, I was actually thinking 'just how nice would an A4 in 1/32 be?!' Followed by an A3, King, Castle, Merchant Navy, Duchess.....!! :D

Keith

Surely the next 1/24th subject will be anything other than a WWII subject, I like the idea of inter-war (such as a Bulldog), but I'm personally hoping post-war.

I would love to see the Harrier revisited, a modern tool version of that in 24th would be something else.  The original one is a hardy perennial - so it obviously sells to some degree!

Even a Sabre would be great.

3 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Fresh from guessing the Blenheim correctly my predictions are

1/24th Sea Fury

1/48th Vampire 

I think you may well be bang on the money but I would like to add I also think a 1/48 Jet Provost and Hawker Hunter will be on the cards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

'Left field'? That's so far to the west you can't see it....!! Why would they introduce a completely new range of steam loco's in a scale they've never done before? I would certainly buy one if they resurrected the old 00 range & gave it things like separate handrails (so they could be replaced with wire more easily!) and a proper decal sheet!

But when typing this, I was actually thinking 'just how nice would an A4 in 1/32 be?!' Followed by an A3, King, Castle, Merchant Navy, Duchess.....!! :D

Keith

Is Gage 1 (1:32) all that popular? Or do you suggest that Airfix (and Hornby) make it their own?

1 hour ago, Scimitar F1 said:

No just that they could make money doing this. Why should they not branch out. It would be epic! 

Agreed, it surprises me that there isn't more cross fertilisation between Airfix and Hornby. A state of the art kit of a rail subject like the old Kitmaster / Airfix / Dapol kits is long overdue but they also need to spread it across a range of scales /gauges.

1 hour ago, Scimitar F1 said:

No just that they could make money doing this. Why should they not branch out. It would be epic! 

Indeed, but why stop there, has Airfix considered the real need for a 1:1 all-British electric car? They could crack the market wide open. 

1 minute ago, Beard said:

Ah, but this is like a Tamiya kit. Airfix could do one for a few hundred quid if they make it a quick-build.

• Haha 1

Just now, keefr22 said:

How could they ever better their 1:1 (via Mr.J. May) Spitfire though....?!

Time for a wide release, perhaps? Of course they'll lose sales because it's hard to smuggle into the house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

No, no, you're all wrong.

They are going to announce the long awaited 1/24th TSR2 (with full operational decals and weapons load).

Graham (currently resident in fantasy land)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, GrahamS said:

No, no, you're all wrong.

They are going to announce the long awaited 1/24th TSR2 (with full operational decals and weapons load).

Graham (currently resident in fantasy land)

To be followed by the much wanted 1/24th Nimrod...!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

To be followed by the much wanted 1/24th Nimrod...!!

On sale in your LMS at £19.99 in 24 months time?

• Haha 4

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:29 AM, keefr22 said:

Keith

and followed by a Class 58, Class 59, Class37, Class 66, Class 47, Class 60......................................................!!!:D. Actually, considering Hornby's association with model railways I do find it strange that there is an almost complete lack of OO scale railway rolling stock in kit form!!

Allan

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:23 PM, keefr22 said:

The problem with the Nimblob, as I see it, was that Airfix tried to be greedy & it backfired on them. When they originally announced it, it was to be a 'pre-orders only' kit, & they made it appear that it would be just that run & that would be that. As the jet was always one of my favourites, I ordered two at the then hefty asking price. As far as I know the pre-order run sold out. So they apparenty tried to cash in & released it again. But I guess the 'modellers that had been screaming out for it' were largely those that had pre-ordered after the initial announcement & didn't really want any more! Hence the piles of £12 Nimrods flogged off at model shows....

Keith

Interesting point. I thought it was over priced and under detailed but, otherwise not a bad kit. Decals were dreadful though!! Certainly cannot get it for £12 nowadays!!:giggle:. I wouldn't even consider the asking prices for them. Like to see the Valiant reissued though. I certainly won't pay the silly prices asked for these!!

Allan