Airfix 2018

old thumper

On 10/14/2017 at 11:39 AM, Denford said:

I’m sure Airfix will announce something at Telford (they usually do) but as what?

Can’t be too small: a retooled 1/72 Chipmunk would look silly.

After their recent ‘problems’, which may still be ongoing, I doubt it will be anything large.

There seems to be an increasing emphasis on 1/48, and also offbeat subjects.  Though most modellers would probably ‘know about’ the Seagull, who would ever have guessed Airfix would tool it?  And it even has folding wings!

So something else in 1/48, not too large, well enough known though not truly 'front line', several users and good choice of markings…

I’ll be interested in other BM viewers comments on my logic and if in accord, what might be chosen?

I’d say a Fieseler Storch.

Interesting choice, but think of all the US aircraft that could do with new tools in 1/72:

SBD Dauntless

TBF/TBM Avenger

P-38 F/G/H

A-20 Havoc/Boston

B-29/Washington

T-6 Texan/Harvard

PB4Y-2 Privateer

Lockheed Hudson

Martin Maryland

Martin Baltimore

PV-1 Ventura

PV-2 Harpoon

C-46 Commando

P-63 Kingcobra

F4U-4/5/5N/7/AU-1 Corsair

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

.... but please Airfix not a 1/48 Bf 109, I think we have enough now.

mmm.. not sure really, how about those pre - 109E models A,B,C,D?? 

(After the coolest jet to ever come out of Britain of course!) 

Cheers.. Dave 

3 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

If it’s 1/48 and aiming for the USA with a subject that has more schemes than you can shake a stick at, then look no further than an F-86.

That would do - it would really help me with my 'not buying any more kits' resolution! :thumbsup: :D

Keith

• Like 2

If Airfix decide to go for something smaller and 1/72 l would like to see the Meteor night fighter series to finally put the Matchbox one to bed. I am hoping that the announcement is 1/72 post war jet either a fighter or bomber.

Robert

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Robert said:

If Airfix decide to go for something smaller and 1/72 l would like to see the Meteor night fighter series to finally put the Matchbox one to bed. I am hoping that the announcement is 1/72 post war jet either a fighter or bomber.

Robert

I think you are more likely to get (their) F8 scaled down to 1/72.  Amazingly it will be the first such since Frog issued theirs in 1955?!  This time you will surely get wheel wells even if you don't get an integrally moulded pilot's head!

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

The problem with the Nimblob, as I see it, was that Airfix tried to be greedy & it backfired on them. When they originally announced it, it was to be a 'pre-orders only' kit, & they made it appear that it would be just that run & that would be that. As the jet was always one of my favourites, I ordered two at the then hefty asking price. As far as I know the pre-order run sold out. So they apparenty tried to cash in & released it again. But I guess the 'modellers that had been screaming out for it' were largely those that had pre-ordered after the initial announcement & didn't really want any more! Hence the piles of £12 Nimrods flogged off at model shows....

Keith

There only was one run of the Nimrod. Airfix produced the numbers preordered by the trade. Unfortunately the expected TSR2 style rush failed to materialise and retailers were left with piles of kits they had overordered on.

• Like 1

Once again there are calls for a Hunter in 'both' scales.

This subject was discussed in detail some while back.  Without trawling through a year+  posts (I'd rather be modelling) I recall that there were two sorts of Hunter: 'fat' and 'thin' depending on the type of engine used and were for both single and two seat versions.  Perhaps those more knowledgeable than myself can fill in the details.

Though I could envisage Airfix producing both single and two seat kits of one version, I really can't see them tooling 2 x 2 ie 4 different Hunter types!  Whichever one were chosen, the other would have to be 'rejected', to cries of anguish and disappointment.

All this takes research, research and more research.  And even more research is needed for reissues eg P-51D, Stuka in different markings!  About the only subject that doesn't need research is types to be reissued in a smaller scale, which is why I would expect a Meteor F8 in 1/72, hopefully to be followed 2019? by a 1/72 Sea Fury.

Finally, for every subject chosen, another has to be postponed.  We must be patient: there is only so much that Airfix, or anyone else, can do.

Hopefully Phoenix will recognise Airfix's reported success and increase their budget for coming years.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

There only was one run of the Nimrod. Airfix produced the numbers preordered by the trade. Unfortunately the expected TSR2 style rush failed to materialise and retailers were left with piles of kits they had overordered on.

Thanks Dave, I was given duff info then...!!

Keith

1 hour ago, Denford said:

Amazingly it will be the first such since Frog issued theirs in 1955?! 

From a 'major' manufacturer maybe, but MPM do a F8 that builds up nicely. Apart from a slightly 'tricky' nose gear unit! It was also reboxed by Airfix....

Keith

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

1/48 Typhoon

I may have just misread that as a Eurofighter Typhoon, although I suppose that Revell have got that (Eurofighter) corner of the market tightly buttoned down.

On a side note, is there any hope of Airfix venturing into more modern front-line jets or, as above, is it the case that other competitors wouldn't leave much wriggle-room for them? (eg: Tornado 1:72/1:48-Revell, 1:72 Jaguar-Italeri, 1:48 Jaguar-KH, Eurofighter-Revell.

Having said that, until recently Airfix appeared to have an acceptable 1:72 Hawk which has since been somewhat overshadowed by Revell's new Hawk...

1:72 F-35b anyone?

13 minutes ago, cathasatail said:

I may have just misread that as a Eurofighter Typhoon, although I suppose that Revell have got that (Eurofighter) corner of the market tightly buttoned down.

On a side note, is there any hope of Airfix venturing into more modern front-line jets or, as above, is it the case that other competitors wouldn't leave much wriggle-room for them? (eg: Tornado 1:72/1:48-Revell, 1:72 Jaguar-Italeri, 1:48 Jaguar-KH, Eurofighter-Revell.

Having said that, until recently Airfix appeared to have an acceptable 1:72 Hawk which has since been somewhat overshadowed by Revell's new Hawk...

1:72 F-35b anyone?

Revell have only cornered the eurofighter market because it is the only reasonably detailed and available kit out there, the italeri and hobbyboss kits are awful , the hasegawa hard to find and expensive, there is a slot in the market for a reasonably priced eurofighter especially with raf specific weapons like brimstone, the italeri jaguar is well due for a newer tooled version and the kittyhawk 48th jaguar is quite frankly a terrible kit so i wouldnt discount airfix considering a 48th kit .

• Like 1

OK - here we go again...

WISH - 1/24 Defiant

REASONING...

• 1/72 and 1/48 versions have sold well in the previous 2 years
  • all necessary scanning has been done
  • suitably well known but also suitably quirky enough to raise interest / appeal
  • follows the BoB family theme from the old spitfire / hurricane / 109 / stuka
  • decal options / paint schemes suitably varied from day to night fighter options
  • do not forget the 'polish contingent' - there is a new generation of polish kids who are immensely proud of their ancestors exploits in the RAF
  • FINALLY - imagine a 1/24 turret - OH THE DETAIL...

I rest my case M'lud  

• Like 4

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 12:21 AM, old thumper said:

Sales from old mould kits should be the most reliable pointer.

Going by the stocks in every Airfix retailer I visit, we should be due a new DH.88 Comet as they are consistently restocked. I'd rather 1/48 or bigger, but that's just me.

• Like 2

Can 1/72 Tempest (Mk.V or Mk.II or both) be a good choice for Airfix? For Mk.V there is only Academy on the market - not sure if that's good or not that good in terms of accuracy. For Mk.II there is Special Hobby - not bad a kit - but it's not mainstream. Of course Mk.V would be a more popular version. 

5 hours ago, k5054nz said:

we should be due a new DH.88 Comet as they are consistently restocked. I'd rather 1/48

Please, please, please Airfix, please!

8 hours ago, BIG X said:

WISH - 1/24 Defiant

A 1/24 Defiant would be nice (although I wouldn't buy it), but I think it would make more financial sense if it was a 1/24 Me 262. The 262 is enormously popular around the world, and there has never been one in 1/24 before.

• Like 1

I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t buy a 1/24 Me262, however I’m sure it would be very popular. The research has already been done (perhaps with enough detail) so we could see a repeat of the Typhoon all over again? 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2