Airfix 2018

old thumper

7 hours ago, canberraman said:

A perennial subject and lots of familiar responses. FWIW Please Airfix let's have

1/72

Canberra B.2 (can't believe that there is still no mainstream kit of the bubble canopy version and think of all the markings and overseas operators there have been)

Sea Vixen (down scale the excellent 1/48th version).

Javelin FAW.9 (as above)

Venom FB.1/4

Chipmunk T.10

Sentinel R.1

Buccaneer S.2

Mark

Mark,

I like (no love) your suggestions, however I think any thought of Airfix producing a fishbowl Canberra has been killed off with the announced S&M Canberra B.2 / T.4, slated for a Telford release. You can probably also strike out the Chipmunk (AZ models) and Buccaneer (Tanmodels) - I'm afraid to say. 

Don't get me wrong - hats off to these manufacturers for taking these bold steps, we should all be supporting them as we would any other mainstream manufacturer. 

That leaves a few obvious choices, with the Venom (IMO) standing out like you know what!!  

Cheers.. Dave.       

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Whats wrong with a pipette / dropper? :huh:

Rgds

Ben

Because it's something else that has to be cleaned before you can use it again on a different colour paint. The dropper bottles like those provided by Vallejo, Hataka, AK Interactive, and others make it really easy to measure out paint and mix known quantities.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Mark,

I like (no love) your suggestions, however I think any thought of Airfix producing a fishbowl Canberra has been killed off with the announced S&M Canberra B.2 / T.4, slated for a Telford release. You can probably also strike out the Chipmunk (AZ models) and Buccaneer (Tanmodels) - I'm afraid to say. 

Don't get me wrong - hats off to these manufacturers for taking these bold steps, we should all be supporting them as we would any other mainstream manufacturer. 

That leaves a few obvious choices, with the Venom (IMO) standing out like you know what!!  

Cheers.. Dave.       

I doubt that S&M's Canberra B.2/T.4 would have any impact on whether or not Airfix produces one; unless it sells out really fast and then the chances of an Airfix kit probably go up quite a bit.

12 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

I doubt that S&M's Canberra B.2/T.4 would have any impact on whether or not Airfix produces one; unless it sells out really fast and then the chances of an Airfix kit probably go up quite a bit.

VMA131 Marine - Honestly, I hope your right!

The chances of my LHS stocking an S&M Canberra are 0%. Therefore I need to factor in international shipping costs on top of (what I suspect) will be a fairly high, but probably justified retail price. I'm still in for one, however would like to see some sprue shots and read some reviews beforehand.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

VMA131 Marine - Honestly, I hope your right!

The chances of my LHS stocking an S&M Canberra are 0%. Therefore I need to factor in international shipping costs on top of (what I suspect) will be a fairly high, but probably justified retail price. I'm still in for one, however would like to see some sprue shots and read some reviews beforehand.

Cheers.. Dave

If Airfix were to tool up a fishbowl Canberra, I would also hope that they would tool up the cockpit section separately so that we could have the standard B.2/6/T.4 and an extended fuselage PR.3/7.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Because it's something else that has to be cleaned before you can use it again on a different colour paint. 

Really? They're they like £1 for 6 on Amazon, I just bin them, not worth the aggro.

rgds

Ben

• Like 1

Maybe, with the new carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth now at sea and soon to dock at Pompey, Airfix may have this subject in the pipeline to 1/350th.... or 1/600th....?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The problem may have been more with the scale than the subjects chosen. They might have done better had they been in 1/72; and I say that as one who has multiple copies of both kits. I suspect that many folks looked at the 1/48 Merlin and wondered where they would put it when completed The new Airfix 1/72 Sea King seems to be doing well enough and the older kit was rarely out of the catalogue.

Depends on the personal interest as well - for me any heli kit which is not 1:48 will have difficulties to get in my basket. That sayed I sold on my Merlin. I would have kept it if it was the Navy version. Fist I did not want another drab coloured whirlything and second I would have perfered to fold that huge rotor... :-)

14 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

A 1/48th scale hairy australian aeroplane boarding ladder holderer onerer chap? ( with decals for not one, not two, but THREE naff shirts) :)

I'll pay that one, it were proper funny

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

I'll pay that one, it were proper funny

I dunno, the requirement for a reinforced ladder would push available mould technology and move the price up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Just had a thought - we need a new Ju-52 in 1/72.

What say you?

No - say I..... 

Are we communicating in Dr. Suess speak? 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Just had a thought - we need a new Ju-52 in 1/72. Airfix's is as old as the original and both Heller and Italeri have their flaws.

I used to have a Heller kit before selling it on.  It was a thing of beauty: regardless of the kit's flaws those corrugations were beautifully moulded in a hard plastic.  Frankly I don't think Airfix could, even now, match the standard.  And what's the value of a Ju 52 kit without convincing corrugations?

• Like 1

On 8/8/2017 at 7:14 AM, Ben Hartmann said:

Really? They're they like £1 for 6 on Amazon, I just bin them, not worth the aggro.

rgds

Ben

You can get a box of 200 for not much more than that on eBay...

And they still wash out well.

• Like 3

Good afternoon

My wish list for next year looks very much like the one I posted in 2016 for this year :

1/72

- Hurricane Mk 1 with Metal wings

- Spitfire MkVc

- Spitfire Mk XII

- Spitfire Mk XIV 

- Tempest

- Sea Fury

- P 47C/D Thunderbolt

- P 51 A/B Mustang  

- A 36 Apache

- P 38 Lightning familly

- SBD Dauntless Family

- Avenger

- T 33

- F 80 C Shooting Star

- F 4 B/C/D Phantom 

- Mirage III/5 Family

- Jaguar familly

- Alpha Jet familly

Patrice

• Like 1

On 8/3/2017 at 11:33 AM, old thumper said:

How long will it be before an Airfix 2018 topic arrives? summer has almost gone and not a sniff of one so far.

On 8/7/2017 at 2:18 AM, VMA131Marine said:

The 1/72 Mosquito and Halifax are two of the very few legacy Airfix kits remaining in the catalogue. Airfix has to know that they are not up to current standards, but they obviously sell. That suggests they should be prime for replacement in the next year or two. I think it will be the Mossie in 1/72 next year and the Halibag and a 1/48 Mosquito in 2019.

Other new tool kits for next year (with the Wellington already announced) will be: 

1/72 F4U-1A Corsair

1/72 SBD-3 Dauntless

1/72 He 219

1/48 Hunter F.6

1/72 Bristol F.2b Fighter

1/72 Albatros D.Va

1/48 Skua

On 8/7/2017 at 2:32 PM, Mikemx said:

That's not what the OP or thread title says and many of the replies seem to be the old airfix wishlist replies. I could not tell whether you knew something or were just guessing (or wishing) hence the question.

thanks

Mike

The threads original title was why hasn't anyone created an Airfix 2018 topic it's August already, but someone changed it.

Regardless of the original title and post I did realise that this would turn into a speculative and wish list topic, I just didn't want to get blamed for starting the ball rolling on such a thing. In any case I am not one of those people who get annoyed when topics start to move away from their original posts. I often find it amusing how a topic that originally concerned for instance a type of aircraft turns into a conversation about beer or the next door's cat .

The lists posted on here so far seem to fall into two categories, wishes and predictions. Which for me are two very different things, but both are fine.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 1

Putting this into the 'predictions' category rather than a wish-list. I'd speculate that as it's the 100th anniversary of the RAF, you'd think that there might be a bit of an RAF theme to next year's output.

So...

...possible new tool choices - WW1 new Camel (replacing the old one in 72nd which came out, if memory serves, in time for the RAF's 50th, or in 48th scale) or an SE5.

Much as I'd like to see an Airfix Sopwith Dolphin, the six kits they'd sell (three of them to me) wouldn't justify the investment, I suspect, so I'll have to be content with Copper State's rather decent offering. I would imagine that the RE8, Bristol Fighter and HP 0/400 probably have less appeal in either scale [especially the HP!], whereas the Camel and SE both have the stories of various 'aces' attached which could aid marketing.

Interwar period - reissue the Gladiator and possibly do it in 48th, although I'm not sure that the return on the investment in tooling would be enough; the Fury, Hart/Demon/Bulldog have all appeared in the catalogue in the past, and new tools of each might not go amiss. I'd suggest, though, that the interwar era will be represented by the extant Gladiator (perhaps boxed with new markings)

WW2 - obvious (although I keep hearing that there is 'no interest' in one) would be a Spit XIV in 48th, since we have Hurricanes and earlier Spitfires (bar the Mk IX) in that scale.  A Tempest V would be a fairly safe bet for consideration, too. We're getting a Wellington to cover the bomber side of the house. As per other threads, I imagine that the Stirling and Halifax might be retooled later down the line. 

Post-war - Again (and as noted earlier) a single-seat Venom in 48th would fill an obvious gap. Early model-Hunters offer multiple reboxing opportunities because of the number of squadrons involved and 72nd or 48th, particularly the latter, would, I imagine sell - although Revell's experience with the Hunter in 72nd was apparently rather disappointing for them, if I recall one or two posts on here or another forum. A Javelin FAW 7 would be a useful complement to the 48th FAW 9 and could replace the 72nd scale kit.  An original style canopy Canberra in 72nd would fill a gap and could allow for an array of markings from 1950 through to the 90s).

Vulcan would be the 'obvious' bomber. Typhoon, in service for 15 years in 2018 would round off the history, replacing the rather poor EF2000 offering masquerading as the F2/FGR4 (I forget which) variant.  I imagine that the Phantom FGR2 will make an appearance, or an FG1 with 43 and 111 Sqn options as it would be a relatively simple means of marking the 100th.

If asked to turn 'predicted for consideration' into actual releases, I would go for the Camel, Canberra and Typhoon, plus the Phantom FGR2. Gladiator reboxed with pre-war RAF schemes. Reboxed Red Arrows Hawk a near-certainty...

Spitfire XIV given further stiff ignoring, along with Venom, to be accompanied by sighs when Trumpeter or similar do one or both with obvious inaccuracies, followed by charges that Airfix have missed an opportunity.

Airfix could definitely serve the RAF anniversary well. With established mouldings I think we'll get the 1/72 Phantom and 1/48 Mustang in RAF boxings, and perhaps reissues with new decal sheets of the Tiger Moth, Lightning, Lancaster and Spitfire F.24. I wouldn't be surprised to see the addition of 'RAF 100' branding to some of these items.

On 07/08/2017 at 6:21 PM, VMA131Marine said:

The problem may have been more with the scale than the subjects chosen. They might have done better had they been in 1/72; and I say that as one who has multiple copies of both kits. I suspect that many folks looked at the 1/48 Merlin and wondered where they would put it when completed The new Airfix 1/72 Sea King seems to be doing well enough and the older kit was rarely out of the catalogue.

Airfix seaking doing well!!  I have 9 of them

Rodders