Airfix 2018

old thumper

The 1/72 Mosquito and Halifax are two of the very few legacy Airfix kits remaining in the catalogue. Airfix has to know that they are not up to current standards, but they obviously sell. That suggests they should be prime for replacement in the next year or two. I think it will be the Mossie in 1/72 next year and the Halibag and a 1/48 Mosquito in 2019.

Other new tool kits for next year (with the Wellington already announced) will be: 

1/72 F4U-1A Corsair

1/72 SBD-3 Dauntless

1/72 He 219

1/48 Hunter F.6

1/72 Bristol F.2b Fighter

1/72 Albatros D.Va

1/48 Skua

6 hours ago, RussellE said:

ok I'll play:

1/72

Ju88 (the only B.O.B. subject yet to be re-tooled)

Second time this one's come up and I'd second it.  In it's A-1 guise it is the one missing from a comprehensive BoB new-tool roll out.

On 8/5/2017 at 15:44, 12by12 said:

Ju88A-1

14 hours ago, Dave Batt said:

Second time this one's come up and I'd second it.  In it's A-1 guise it is the one missing from a comprehensive BoB new-tool roll out.

I've said this before, and given how Airfix seem to be wanting to eke as much out of their design efforts as possible, they should not limit themselves to the A-1 variant, later BoB era Ju-88's were were the later A-5 variant - basically an A-1 with A-4 span wings.  If they include the later A-4 fin/rudder, they could capture early Eastern and Mediterranean theatre aircraft such as the A-11/A-14 too!  It's a no brainer really.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The Tamiya kit fuselage (1/72 and 1/48) have the cockpit area separate to allow for bomber and fighter noses. There is a natural break point there that makes the seam unobtrusive.

Well if Airfix can engineer it as well as Tamiya there'll be no problem.

A new 1/72 Mossie will be a very welcome addition, and has to be on the cards at some point. Along with the Spit Mk Vb/c I hope.  

If the do a new 1/48 Spitfire Va/b any chance of them putting Seafire parts in like they did with the Hurricane?

How about a 1/48 Skua II now that would be nice even if a bit niche..

Edited by Grey Beema

12 hours ago, IanC said:

God, please no!

Agreed!! Fit of the separate nose to the fuselage was atrocious. Huge gaps, too wide for the wing roots and a lot of trimming, swearing and filling later............:angrysoapbox.sml:.

Allan

10 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The 1/72 Mosquito and Halifax are two of the very few legacy Airfix kits remaining in the catalogue. Airfix has to know that they are not up to current standards, but they obviously sell. That suggests they should be prime for replacement in the next year or two. I think it will be the Mossie in 1/72 next year and the Halibag and a 1/48 Mosquito in 2019.

Other new tool kits for next year (with the Wellington already announced) will be: 

1/72 F4U-1A Corsair

1/72 SBD-3 Dauntless

1/72 He 219

1/48 Hunter F.6

1/72 Bristol F.2b Fighter

1/72 Albatros D.Va

1/48 Skua

Are these actual releases or just your wishlist?

thanks

Mike

Afternoon Chaps :bye:

Well, this is the time all the hairyplane chaps can go and get a cuppa and a digestive or two...

Having completely given up on my new Car and Bike campaign from Airfix, (and you thought Ships were a no no...) I shall turn my attention towards my second love...

The 1/48th scale vehicle range could do with a few more goodies, like a Matador or Bedford refueller's, the Austin Fire Engine and Ambulance... (see where I'm going here) and the absolute best of all would be a Queen Mary in 48th scale, with the Thornycroft crane, of course... but how about something nice like a Tilly and a motorbike for eg...

And what about the modern British Armour that started tantalizing our tastes buds a couple years ago... You cant just release all those kits and then just stop with the Warrior. A Challenger maybe? A Scorpion / Scimitar? FV432 Bulldog? Couple of nice Bedford Trucks? That range is completely unique, no one is producing those vehicles in that scale, why the hell stop?

Just my 2c worth :)

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja:

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Well, this is a thread for predictions so...

That's not what the OP or thread title says and many of the replies seem to be the old airfix wishlist replies. I could not tell whether you knew something or were just guessing (or wishing) hence the question.

thanks

Mike

Some more vehicles in 1:48 to dress up dioramas would be nice - Matador and Bedford refuellers would be great - basically an upscaled version of the Aircraft refuelling set.  I would also like upscaled versions of the aircraft recovery and aircraft emergency set btw.

Speaking of vehicles - some new tool classic 1:32 cars would be nice too. Morris Minors for me please - any type.

René

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

That's not what the OP or thread title says and many of the replies seem to be the old airfix wishlist replies. I could not tell whether you knew something or were just guessing (or wishing) hence the question.

thanks

Mike

I'm sure the people who actually know something about the Airfix 2018 program are sworn to secrecy.

.....given the amount of stock they flogged off in The Great Sale a couple of years ago it doesnt look like the modern stuff - ie Op Herrick -did particularly well and the Lynx and Merlin soon vanished  - so wocca's dont perhaps cut the mustard?

JU88 a sound prediction but I'd add a Luftwaffe Bomber Resupply Set to that - so they can double up like they did with the Lanc and the B-17. I still think the USAAF set was stingy compared to the RAF one though.

I got the impression that they were testing the waters with the Bedford and Albion in 1/48 - and they lent themselves well to the Ready for Battle set. For what its worth despite the detractors I'd put their Hurricane as one of the most enjoyable kits I've built in recent years

So not convinced they'd do many more vehicles save for the Lufty set.....as for ships well the QE or POW Aircraft Carriers are an obvious candidate thought I dont know how well the Lusty set did a few years back.

A Corsair or Tbolt would fill gaps but given current financial squeeze and the fact that everyone else has one in their catalogue would they go for them? 

The Brisfit in 1/72 is a good shout and surely there will be a 100 years of the RAF gift set coming, so where would they get the 1/72 F-35?

A perennial subject and lots of familiar responses. FWIW Please Airfix let's have

1/72

Canberra B.2 (can't believe that there is still no mainstream kit of the bubble canopy version and think of all the markings and overseas operators there have been)

Sea Vixen (down scale the excellent 1/48th version).

Javelin FAW.9 (as above)

Venom FB.1/4

Chipmunk T.10

Sentinel R.1

Buccaneer S.2

Mark

• Like 2

RAF ground vehicles would be likely as MAD STEVE's thread. Fit in with the main theme of the catalogue and cross-over sales as well. 

Back to aircraft..surely a 48th Spitfire Vc can't be far away?? I'm also surprised that the Vampire T.11 hasn't appeared in 48th considering the overseas potential let alone UK market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

.....given the amount of stock they flogged off in The Great Sale a couple of years ago it doesnt look like the modern stuff - ie Op Herrick -did particularly well and the Lynx and Merlin soon vanished  - so wocca's dont perhaps cut the mustard?

The problem may have been more with the scale than the subjects chosen. They might have done better had they been in 1/72; and I say that as one who has multiple copies of both kits. I suspect that many folks looked at the 1/48 Merlin and wondered where they would put it when completed The new Airfix 1/72 Sea King seems to be doing well enough and the older kit was rarely out of the catalogue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John said:

I sort of hope that Humbrol get a bit of the investment budget this year, there's been nothing new from them for a while now.

J

Yes I hope they finally decide to change to bottles rather than the current tins.

They are awkward to pour into the airbrush, paint spills down the side etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Yes I hope they finally decide to change to bottles rather than the current tins.

They are awkward to pour into the airbrush, paint spills down the side etc.

Whats wrong with a pipette / dropper? :huh:

Rgds

Ben

If this is a wish list for the love of God Airfix, or anyone to be honest, make a 1/48 Puma!!!! Why no kit maker has ever kitted the Puma is still a mystery to me

• Like 5