Airfix 2018

old thumper

1 minute ago, Phil Gollin said:

Will Airfix survive 2018 ?   Hornby (the parent company) is still going through financial and management problems, and now that a new entity/boss is in control we have to await what direction they will take the group in.

As for which Kit I would like, well that would be a 1/350th  HMS Queen Elizabeth, but that won't happen (ships are a "no-no").

Management:rage:

Hornby has a new man at the top, who -I have heard it said- 'realises that there is more to Hornby Hobbies than just model railways'. I take this to be a very good sign.

As yet there is nothing new on the takeover bid, but I for one am optimistic that if it does go ahead it may be good news for the company as a whole.

Was it last year (or the year before?) when Airfix said they were going somewhere on the west coast of USA for research. Don't see much coming from that trip........yet?

Ok

1/72 Battle or Hampden - they've done most of their back catalogue now.

Hunter family in either 1/48 or 1/72.

Trevor

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Was it last year (or the year before?) when Airfix said they were going somewhere on the west coast of USA for research. Don't see much coming from that trip........yet?

B-25, P-51 (Both North American - now part of Boeing), Phantom, (McDonnell Douglas - now part of Boeing)

Edited by Dave Fleming

3 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

B-25, P-51 (Both North American - now part of Boeing), Phantom, (McDonnell Douglas - now part of Boeing)

But apart from that, what have Airfix ever done for us?

Trevor

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

If Airfix are releasing a new tool Wellington in 2018 then I think we will have to wait until at least 2019 before a new tool Hampden comes out.

I wouldn't expect to see any of the other larger British WW2 bombers either. My guess would be a B-24 as the next four engined WW2 type.

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:34 PM, Maverick231 said:

A 1/72 F-16XL maybe? XD

Interesting choice but possibly doubtful. Have you considered the Skunk Works 1/48 F-16XL? Beautiful model with loads of whizz bangs and a decal sheet giving 4 "what if " options. Personally, I hope Airfix do NOT give us an F-16 or any other done to death already boring grey jet :lol: - with the possible exception of a new Tornado GR1/GR4/F3 and/or Typhoon!!

Allan

ps - forgot about the Jaguar!! How about a new GR1/T2?

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 5

Well we know what the big 1/72 series 8 release is with the wimpy already being announced, though I've heard murmurings there is a new tool biggie in the pipeline, which if that is the 2018 telford annoucement, what is I don't know, all sorts of theories, and it could even a be a 1/48 which widens the field. Ill just focus on 1/72

Hoping they follow the phantom FG1 with the FGR2, obvious missed opportunity if they don't though they could save the for 2019 .  Pretty sure there will be a starter set or dogfight double with the me262, I think there will be the mustang in it, but theres the question of the smaller new tools, I have a feeling the next medium is the mossie so they might redo that classic dogfight double. Also assuming the number of releases (16 in 172)  is the same as 2017 due to the crises (but returning more to normal in 2019), Also as the century for the raf they would be amiss to not release some sets with new decals, I say there will be a big gift set, what it will be im not going to gueess. Also think we will see a new spitfire tool, with the mkV being redone. B-25 2nd boxing also seems par the course. Hit the block now at 12, maybe as I said theres a telford biggie the total will be <16 so maybe only missing a couple of the 1/72 list.

New tools

Biggie (but could be 1/48)

Wimpy

Mossie 

Spitfire MkV

Reboxs

B-25 2nd issue with new parts

Phantom FGR2

Spitfire MK1 with new decals 

Hurricane MK1 with new decals

Lightning with new decals

Gift Set

ME262/Mustang or Mossie Dogfighter Double

Big RAF 100th Set

Spitfire MkV Starter 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Agreed a Mosquito in both 1/48 and 1/72 would be popular- no shortgage of examples to measure up. A two stage Merlin version would be my guess for a first release. They could follow the example of the Blenheim and have a break in the fuselage behind the cockpit, around where the mid wing area?

Phantom FGR.2 is a dead cert as apparently those bits are on the sprue

shots.

Is there anything non aircraft which would be a dead cert? For example I wonder how a 1/48 jeep done by them would sell. It would fit in with other recent 1/48 vehicles done by them and of course would look good next to any of their recent plane offerings too.

Trevor

1/72 Lightning F1/F1A/F2/F3/T4/T5 would be nice. Maybe a new tool J-79 powered Phantom to go with the one true F-4?.Now that the B-17 has been re tooled, I think the B-24 and, B-29 are surely in line?. Certainly like to see the Valiant reissued. I need a couple but I won't pay the ludicrous second hand prices being asked

Allan

10 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Agreed a Mosquito in both 1/48 and 1/72 would be popular...They could follow the example of the Blenheim and have a break in the fuselage behind the cockpit, around where the mid wing are?

God, please no!

53 minutes ago, IanC said:

God, please no!

The Tamiya kit fuselage (1/72 and 1/48) have the cockpit area separate to allow for bomber and fighter noses. There is a natural break point there that makes the seam unobtrusive.

• Like 3

ok I'll play:

1/72

Sopwith Camel

Fokker D VII

Yak 3 and/or 9

Ju88 (the only B.O.B. subject yet to be re-tooled)

Mig 21

1/48

Hawker Hunter

1/24

too hard to guess, but hoping for new tool Spit (co-inciding with it's 80th anniversary of entry to service and Airfix's 80th birthday)

1/350

some sort of floaty thing would be nice.

Wishful thinking would be HMS Queen Elizabeth

but probably more realistic, is potentially type 26 Frigrate

Edited by RussellE