Tamiya Tank Tracks - A Question

nheather

Do Tamiya Rubber tank tracks (the newer type that can be glued) always come attached on a rubber sprue, or are they sometimes already separated.

The reason I ask is that I have just purchased a kit from a member here.  Inside the box the sprues are still sealed in the original bags so it is totally unstarted.  The tracks however, are separate (no rubber sprue) and unfortunately one is snapped.

I doubt the seller knowingly sold the kit like this, he was either unaware or perhaps it happened in transit as the contents moved about the box.

I guess I have four options

1 - notify the seller and let him sort it out

2 - try to repair by gluing together

3 - as it is only about 4cm that has broken off I could just fit gluing the wheels as the top track will be hidden under fenders (it's a Churchill)

4 - contact the local agent reporting it as faulty and getting a replacement

My preference is (4) but before I contact them it would be good to know if the tracks would have been on a sprue and for whatever reason the seller has removed them.  I don't want the agent to turn round and say that I broke it when removing from the sprue.

Cheers,

Nigel

Been years since i built tamiya armor. The tracks i always saw always came free floating in the kit, no rubber sprue ? My LHS (rest in piece) for years would let us open the kits before purchase to peruse the contents and in all of the tamiya armor i ever looked at i never saw such a thing. Now that being said last time i purchased, opened, and built a tamiya armor kit was when Bill Clinton was still president. So it may have changed after that. 

Looking at a few reviews they do appear sans any sprues. 

Tamiya's Churchill first appeared in 1977, with a rebox occurring in 1994 and 1996.   Don't know which box has the broken tracks, so as some say, it could be a quality problem, or age if from the original boxing?  For replacements I'd contact Tamiya, but the tracks are hidden on top.  The only problem I can see is not being able to attain tension on the track because it is broken.

regards,

Jack

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Gluing them would certainly work because the tops of the tracks are totally hidden.  In fact tamiya have made no effort to recreate the track pattern on the 1cm length that glues together so it is expected that goes to the top anyway - though the instructions don't make that clear.

Also I sent an eMail to the Tamiya agent in the UK.  They have replied saying that they will post out replacements today.

BTW - when I looked through my stash, most of my Tamiya tracks were on sprues - and the ones that aren't may have been removed by me.  The ones on sprues have all been smaller vehicles though.  Perhaps if the tracks are large then they are not on sprues.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

On 04/08/2017 at 9:18 AM, nheather said:

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Gluing them would certainly work because the tops of the tracks are totally hidden.  In fact tamiya have made no effort to recreate the track pattern on the 1cm length that glues together so it is expected that goes to the top anyway - though the instructions don't make that clear.

Also I sent an eMail to the Tamiya agent in the UK.  They have replied saying that they will post out replacements today.

BTW - when I looked through my stash, most of my Tamiya tracks were on sprues - and the ones that aren't may have been removed by me.  The ones on sprues have all been smaller vehicles though.  Perhaps if the tracks are large then they are not on sprues.

Cheers,

Nigel

Who's the agent please ?