Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane Mk1B Small Error in Instructions

Nearlymen

Hi,

Just a quick heads up on something I noticed. I've just got one of the new Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane Mk.1B kits and noticed that the catapult spools have been left off the instructions, as have also the notice to open up the flashed over holes on either side of the radiator. The spools are shown though in the paint guide and indeed are present on Sprue D, it's just they are not in the instructions. I pretty sure they should be included, and that its just a simple error in  which I guess this particular section in the instructions was cut and pasted from the original BOB version of the kit. I dropped Airfix a line to let them know. Apart from that it's a fine kit, same as the BOB and Trop versions issued previously (all the alternative parts are present).

Cheerio

Clive

Thanks Clive.  I definitely will be procuring at least one for the stash.  In fact TBH my stash has gone very low and I need to do a bit of a mega buy in a couple of months (I build at glacial pace)..

One other small thing I would add and it'll need someone a bit wiser than I to confirm !! The no. of spools on a CAM Hurri 1A I believe was 4 so it fitted into the launch cradle. The kit hurri Mk1B supllies 2 spools for either side of the radiator, did the Mk 1B have 4 spools as a cam fitted Hurri ? or just the 2 either side of the radiator ? In the photos of sea Hurris in books I've got you can never quite see what's going on on the underside !

Cheerio

Clive

I think the 1b had the rear spools as well, though I don't know if they all did, I'm sure the Hurricane experts will confirm this.

Is it right that this kit is the same sprues as the original kit, so doesn't have the headrest? Seem a big error to forget this.

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The rear mounts on the catapult fitted into recesses just aft of the wing, so there were no external spools.

So what is the item which stick out both sides of the fuselage on the Sea Hurricane?  Always looked the catapult support to me.

Shuttleworth Sea Hurricane hasn't got them fitted but it's got the tube in the fuselage into which they fit.

kem-2.jpg

shurr-7.jpg

CDmtW5mWYAA32_Q.jpg:large

Right.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Darby said:

All in all nothing insurmountable then to an average modeller.

No, adding the rear spools is easy the headrest is a little more work but nothing difficult.

Got to love this forum, so much useful info at ones fingertips !

So to recap :- front spools are in the kit, just not in the instructions.

Oil lip behind spinner missing, but a thin disc from light gauge plasticard should suffice.

Headrest missing from kit but seems simple enough to fashion from scrap plastic

Rear spools seems to be not spools as such but a mounting spigot/bar again an easy scratch built item.

Cheers chaps I think that just about does it !

Cheerio

Clive

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nearlymen said:

Oil lip behind spinner missing, but a thin disc from light gauge plasticard should suffice.

Rear spools seems to be not spools as such but a mounting spigot/bar again an easy scratch built item.

Cheerio

Clive

Didn't the original release lack a rear view mirror on the windscreen? I noticed the box artwork doesn't show one so assume this is still the case?

Mick

52 minutes ago, Nearlymen said:

Cheerio

Clive

If you need some pictures for the headrest and oil ring I have a few shots of the Shuttleworth's aircraft here, (though the headrest are not that clear in these shot I've probably got some more somewhere).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124194494@N02/albums/72157675332189233

Talking of catapult spools, the following is taken verbatim from the Sea Hurricane manuals

"The two front spools are attached to the rear face of the rear centre section spar and project through the lower fairing, the two rear spools being mounted on the ends of a cross tube supported from joints 01. The centre lines of the front spools are 37 inches apart, and the centre lines of the rear spools are 29.65 inches apart.  The distance between the front and rear spools is 108 inches measured parallel to the deck line and the height of the rear spool above the front spool is 4.5 inches measured at right angles to the deck line. The last two measurements are made with the thrust line at an incidence angle of 5 degrees, 16 minutes to the deck."

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Edited by tango98
Spacing
  • Like 4

Just a quickee to answer some of the above questions, as for the scheme I'm slightly spoilt for choice as I've got Aeromasters Sea Hurricanes Pt1 as well as the kit options. My Initial thoughts though are to go with the kits 880 sqdn scheme 7E AF955. Something I've just noticed and that is the box art actually shows the headrest, I guess it was 'a tooling too far' to include it !! ha ha !

Many thanks to all who have replied it's been a good bit of education.......if only school all those years ago was as easy as this !

Cheerio

Clive

Beautiful work, really really nice. I especially love the weathering/chipping and restrained panel lining.

I'm not a WW2 modeller, but have a question: the pilot (also beautifully painted btw) seems to be sitting very low in the cockpit. He looks to be about the same height as me (knee-high to a grasshopper). From my time in the Air Cadets many many years ago, and an occasional Chipmunk flier, I seem to remember the parachute acted as a seat cushion so for shorties such as me, we could see out of the cockpit.

5 minutes ago, Timmas said:

Beautiful work, really really nice. I especially love the weathering/chipping and restrained panel lining.

I'm not a WW2 modeller, but have a question: the pilot (also beautifully painted btw) seems to be sitting very low in the cockpit. He looks to be about the same height as me (knee-high to a grasshopper). From my time in the Air Cadets many many years ago, and an occasional Chipmunk flier, I seem to remember the parachute acted as a seat cushion so for shorties such as me, we could see out of the cockpit.

I think he's a little underscale tbh- he comes with the kit!

2 minutes ago, 85sqn said:

I think he's a little underscale tbh- he comes with the kit!

Ah, I wondered. I'm just getting back into modelling 1/72 scale and have noticed there's a move away from providing pilots in many modern kits so I've been buying resin aftermarket ones. To me, an aircraft isn't complete without a pilot or crew :smile:

Re 7.E. I don't know which markings comes with the kit - the model above shows it in the markings of Operation Ironclad, the invasion of Madagascar.  The same aircraft also saw combat in the different markings of Operation Pedestal, in the Mediterranean.  However, by then 7.E and 7.F had transferred to strengthen 800 Sq, which converted from Fulmars to Sea Hurricanes in East Africa.  Surprisingly, their codes and trim remained unchanged, giving the view of two apparent strangers in the midst of 800 Sq line-ups and confusing caption writers ever since.  Not that it matters to the model, of course.

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Re 7.E. I don't know which markings comes with the kit - the model above shows it in the markings of Operation Ironclad, the invasion of Madagascar.  The same aircraft also saw combat in the different markings of Operation Pedestal, in the Mediterranean.  However, by then 7.E and 7.F had transferred to strengthen 800 Sq, which converted from Fulmars to Sea Hurricanes in East Africa.  Surprisingly, their codes and trim remained unchanged, giving the view of two apparent strangers in the midst of 800 Sq line-ups and confusing caption writers ever since.  Not that it matters to the model, of course.

Yep Airfix say their kit is in the markings of Op Ironclad but when they first released the artwork it had the yellow tail of Op Pedestal. I messaged them about the difference- I don't know if it was me but they did then remove the yellow tail.

Didn't take me up on the different leading edge yellow stripes though.

14 hours ago, Tbolt said:

If you need some pictures for the headrest and oil ring I have a few shots of the Shuttleworth's aircraft

we have a great walkround of the Shuttleworth plane here..

Sea%20Hurricane-016.JPG

and

Sea%20Hurricane-020.JPG

but  many more in the  link.

Marking options are

a05134-1.jpg

4 view lacks yellow tail

a05134-2.jpg

a05134-3.jpg

a05134-4.jpg

The 4 view shows Sky codes, 

I  don't recall seeing a photo 'S7F'   before.

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

we have a great walkround of the Shuttleworth plane here..

Sea%20Hurricane-016.JPG

and

Sea%20Hurricane-020.JPG

but  many more in the  link.

I know, it is good, but mine shows the collector ring better ;)

31434496023_9500364802_o.jpg

32095785372_8fbd8f49d9_o.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 2