Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane Mk1B Small Error in Instructions

Nearlymen

This is my Pedestal Sea Hurricane.  It is the Hasagawa 1/48 Sea Hurricane.  

I applied, after asking around on many forums, the amalgam of thinking at that point on Lt RJ Corks 880 aeroplane, including the yellow tail.  I was assured at that time that a book was going to be printed shortly revealing the true identity of the Corks aircraft (no Serial on mine) but alas I still wait..

My Airfix Sea Hurricane will be the mount of CD-R JM Bruen which I think was an 800 NAS bird..

36326340056_949b594aec_b.jpg

• Like 1

Clive,

One other item to consider is if your subject is equipped with the R1147 homing receiver. If it was then the antenna for it was either mounted vertically down on the centre line approximately 12 to 14 inches aft of the radiator fairing or beneath the starboard wing.

Additionally and as I understand it (although I'll have to recheck my Sea Hurri documents) some aircraft can be seen with an antenna aft of the radiator housing and one beneath the starboard wing indicating (suggesting) that that beneath the wing was IMO, the IFF antenna.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Edited by tango98
Missing word

8 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

This is my Pedestal Sea Hurricane.  It is the Hasagawa 1/48 Sea Hurricane.  

judging by the wheels it's the itaeri kit.

7 hours ago, tango98 said:

if your subject is equipped with the R1147 homing receiver. If it was then the antenna for it was either mounted vertically down on the centre line approximately 12 to 14 inches aft of the radiator fairing or beneath the starboard wing.

Additionally and as I understand it (although I'll have to recheck my Sea Hurri documents) some aircraft can be seen with an antenna aft of the radiator housing and one beneath the starboard wing indicating (suggesting) that that beneath the wing was IMO, the IFF antenna.

a deck  tangle on HMS Ravager helps illustrate one of the above aerial set ups,  note aerials mentioned,  just forward and below the fuse roundel, and the other in underwing roundel.

October_4th_1944_Sea_Hurricane_NF722_NF7

HTH

• Like 1

Shuttleworth's Sea Hurricane didn't come out to play yesterday, but I got some shot's of the headrest in the hangar (with tricky lighting!), if they are helpfully to anyone scratchbuilding it (right click and open in new tab for larger size).

36375741536_359ce0fa83_o.jpg

36420827845_68114ac087_o.jpg

36375746626_7a60678349_o.jpg

Edited by Tbolt

I'm not into WW2 models but those shots will no doubt be of real interest to the folk who are.

What surprises me however, is the plywood panel. I'd always assumed the rear and underside of the seat assembly was armoured.

5 hours ago, Timmas said:

I'm not into WW2 models but those shots will no doubt be of real interest to the folk who are.

What surprises me however, is the plywood panel. I'd always assumed the rear and underside of the seat assembly was armoured.

It was  armour in the war , but this is a warbird, a very authentic one, but  the 'armour' is for show,  as weight is a consideration,.   Sea Hurricanes IB's have a hook,  all the period images show the fitting of  the all metal De Havilland prop,  partly to help off the the hook weight. (this has been discussed before)

IIRC armour on Hurricanes was first fitted in France, early 1940,  taken from a Fairey Battle, but could only be fitted to with a DH or Rotol prop,  due to change of centre of gravity.

The Shuttleworth  plane has the 'bullet' Rotol usually seen on the Mk.II, which usually have blades of a compressed wood composite 'Jablo'

The current blades I think are similar material,  

This type of Rotol is  used on Sea Hurricane II's  but  as the Merlin XX is longer, so moving the main engine block forward 4 inches, and thus weight, so thye don't need the weight of the metal prop.

• Like 1

Interesting to see the top catapult picture. I think that one is at Leuchars but there was another at Gosport. The Grotsport one was a cordite catapult and they used to operate a Swordfish ro two and Sea Hurricane as part of the catapult training flight.  In the morning of the first day, the first trainee pilot would stand in the rear cockpit of the Swordfish looking over the pilot's shoulders and hanging on for dear life (probably literally). He would watch and then they would land, the Swordfish would be cfraned back onto the cat and the trainee would have his go. He would be watched by the second in the course and he byt the third person and so on. It does make you wonder about the problems of accelerated mistakes, a rubbish piece of info passed on early in the course could get worse!

They would then stop for lunch and in the afternoon there would be a Hurricane on the cat for the 'Advanced' course. This time, of course, there was no hanging on and watching, it was in at the deep end.

Did I say 'on the first day? Ah, there wasn't a second......

• Like 1

On 08/08/2017 at 2:02 AM, Troy Smith said:

It was  armour in the war , but this is a warbird, a very authentic one, but  the 'armour' is for show,  as weight is a consideration,

Yep: same reason that on this particular aeroplane the hook is a plastic dummy.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Yep: same reason that on this particular aeroplane the hook is a plastic dummy.

Interesting I didn't know that, it certainly looks the part anyway.

The Hurricane I always had a tendency towards the CG being too far aft for its combination of a rather strong pitching moment from the choice f wing airfoil, and a horizontal tail which with the benefit of hindsight should have been larger*.

As usual this got worse with most additions of operational equipment to the basic design. It is well documented to have marginal to negative pitch stability, especially in high power / low airspeed situations, and frequently exhibiting as a tendency to self-tighten in tight turns.

The centre of engine/prop mass being further forward on the Hurri II helps a lot but even that aeroplane isn't a paragon of pitch stability either. The Sea Hurricane I is the worst of the range because of the shorter nose and the heavy hook and other naval paraphernalia aft of the CG. To counteract, in addition to being given the heaviest of the available props, they ended up with big weights on the engine bearers.

Weight reduction that leaves the aeroplane suitable for its display role is always of interest, especially when you are routinely operating off a shortish and often fairly rough grass strip, and even more so when you are trying to avoid taking too much out of what for a long time was the only remaining airworthy Merlin III engine (a very early type of Merlin), and is still only one of a very small handful.

It's a long time since I've seen Z7015 with her clothes off so I dont know for sure whether she still has the engine bearer ballast. It's possible that through determined approach to removing unnecessary weight at the back, they've also been able to lose the engine bearer weights while stilll maintaining reasonably pleasant handling characteristics. The overall weight reduction from all of that would be very worthwhile, and of course you keep all the bits you've taken off so there's no loss of historical artefacts.

*which runs right through the design family. The Typhoon tailplane was also too small, hence it ending up with the enlarged Tempest version, and when the Tempest evolved into the Fury / Sea Fury, they ended up making the tail bigger again, even though they had reduced the wing area by eliminating the Tempest's centre-section!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/4/2017 at 6:43 AM, Tbolt said:

I know, it is good, but mine shows the collector ring better ;)

Thanks for the close up photos of the oil guard and the headrest (from your subsequent post), they're very nice and much appreciated!

Edited by StevSmar
Deleted redundant images