Ian's Zvezda Mig-29 9.13

IanHx

Here we go, a month late starting due to unfinished business with a Foxbat in the Made In Russia GB....   ( oh alright, I also forgot I signed up to this one ! )

What shall I make next...hmmm...  maybe a Mig-29 of some kind....  :hmmm:

Here's the "look ma, I haven't started it yet" photo

IMG_20170802_212247517

• Like 2

First impressions.... there's a lot of plastic.  4 different loadout options to consider, think I'll stick with the traditional air-to-air loadout.

So step 1 is.... not the cockpit.  Instead it's making holes in the wings for the relevant pylons. Different....

Step 2 : assemble wheel wells.   Call me lazy, but any kit that makes you glue 4 bits together just for a bleepin' wheel well is trying too hard.... !!!

Smacks of complication for the sake of it.      

Top halves of fuselage, and wings, all glued together. Waiting for cockpit tub paint to dry.  Feels like...umm...waiting for paint to dry !

Back to agonizing over which paint scheme to choose. Like the pattern of scheme 2. But scheme 3 has a shark mouth.... :)

Edited by IanHx

46 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

Oooh cool, a Zvezda 9-13 - excellent!  Following your progress with interest

Ditto

11 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Pictures please!

Double ditto

Pictures ? Why would you want pictures when you can read the demented rambling of someone who's clearly spent too long modelling in an insufficiently ventilated room ?  :)

Oh alright, here you go.

Progress so far

IMG_20170803_205625579

Note : the wingtips were separate pieces to the wings.  Why ?????!!!!!!!!

OOB paint schemes - leaning towards #3

IMG_20170803_205942711

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard and a nice choice, plus I like the scheme you've chosen, anything with sharks teeth is a must! :D

it's the first time I've seen one of these models, looks quite nice so will be interested to follow this build. You're off to a flying start as well, doing much better than some of us are! :whistle:

Well good luck with the build, nice to have you along and look forward to seeing her in the gallery...with teeth!

• Like 1

On 3-8-2017 at 10:06 PM, IanHx said:

Because the 9-13 has a different ECM / RWR fit around the wingtips compared to the 9-12. 

Nice progress so far. I must say scheme #1 will be my choice on my first Zvezda 9-13 - less garish than #3. But hey, it's your model!

Cheers,

Andre 

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Because the 9-13 has a different ECM / RWR fit around the wingtips compared to the 9-12. 

That makes sense. And there was me wondering if it was something to do with a future Mig 29K kit....

Time for another WIP photo

IMG_20170812_104506860

The nozzles come in 3 parts, and the intakes are split lengthwise in 2. Compressor face glued in first.  

So far everything fits together without any fuss,  enjoying the kit so far. First time I've seen the Humbrol MetalCote colours called for in the instructions [ 27003 ].

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A great disaster has befallen my build.   I went on holiday without adequately feeding the carpet monster, and when I came back the nose cone was missing......  :boom:

I blame the :dog:

• Sad 1

Oh dear... That's sad... I hope you find the missing nose cone. 

I was quite interested in your build as I may buy one of these kits. I'm currently building Italeri's MiG 29A and have Zvezda's SMT version in the stash. 

Cheers

Jaime 

Oh dear! Dogs and Carpet Monsters the foe of all modellers!! You're probably right with the dog....it's now probably been where no nose cone ever want to go!

Hopefully you can find an old drop tank that can be beaten into shape?

On 25/08/2017 at 15:46, IanHx said:

Wrote to [email protected] , who took pity on my plight and kindly offered a replacement.  May or may not arrive in time for this GB, but at least it's something I can put on last rather than stalling the whole build.  :thumbsup:

Great news! Looking forward to your further developments of this build. 

Cheers

Jaime 

Pilot seat comes in 4 pieces. Pilot figures provided for either sitting or standing about beside aircraft smoking ciggie while refueling... Seated figure in 3 parts , giving the options of either holding the stick or 'keeping up international relations' :)

Edited by IanHx
Autocorrect grrr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Continuing with the "...just because they can..." theme of having more bits than other kits for the same aircraft part,  the main wheel hubs are separate pieces.

IMG_20170902_122219834

Undercarriage next.... not looking forward to it !

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2017 at 3:06 PM, IanHx said:

A stupid engineering decision from Zvezda if you ask me. Requires filling/sanding off the joint as it does not correspond to a real panel line.

Given that all variants of the Fulcrum have a different upper fuselage, it would have made sense for Zvezda to just mold the wings and fuselage together the way Trumpeter did.

And at the very least, if you're going the route of separate wingtips, at least make them more sturdy: they're connected only by a tiny tab :/

(in other words, brace yourself for destruction if you accidentally grab it by the wingtips once finished)

Good luck on the build though, it's more painful than the Trumpeter but is more accurate (Trumpeter totally botched the spine)