Airfix Rommel's Half Track

fightersweep

Hi All;

I don't usually build armour, but I've got an itch to build the Airfix Rommel's Half Track. Mainly I imagine, because I always wanted it as a kid.

Very quick question. Is there any aftermarket for the kit, particularly the tracks and wheels? I've had a look around Google, but had no luck, so I thought I would ask the experts here. Also keen to hear any thoughts on the kit. Mine arrived today, and on first glance, looks fairly decent.

Best regards;

Steve 

I built this when I was about 12 or so (that's 40 years ago now). I remember it being fairly well detailed and a great kit to build.

If I recall, the steering mechanism is a little tricky (well it was to a 12 year old me) and remember to fit the road wheels of the tracked section in the correct order. I seem to remember I leapt in and ended up having to rearrange them.

I look forward to seeing some progress pics.

As I recall from building one soon after its release, it isn't a bad kit.  But it's the wrong scale.  Despite Monogram doggedly sticking with the "imperial" 1/32 scale for military vehicles, 1/35 had somehow become firmly established by the time Airfix released their 4 own-tool AFV kits in 1/32.  Their later soft-skin kits were in 1/35, using moulds bought from third parties.

There are, and AFAIK never have been, any AM sets for this kit.  That market didn't really exist when the kit was new.  Anything 1/35 will of course be somewhat undersize: it does show.

In terms of accessories, the Airfix Multipose German Infantry and DAK provide some very nice 1/32 weapons and personal equipment and could be the basis for crew figures.  A true 54mm Rommel figure would scale correctly.  The Armour Accessory jerrycans - which still pop up on eBay - were always oversize for 1/35 and work well for 1/32.  In fact they're very nice.

I imagine that with a little care with rack spacing and cabling, 1/35 radio equipment could be used to replace the crude Airfix attempt at it.  I suspect you could use the AFV Club 251 vision blocks as they're largely hidden.  1/35 etched brass tool clamps, locker padlocks etc might work.

I know you've bought the Airfix kit now, but if you're desperate to be able to detail one to the max you need to be looking at the Dragon 1/35 version.  But I imagine you could easily kiss goodbye to £100 for the kit and a bunch of appropriate AM details.  The kit and a set of Friul tracks will run you about £50 alone, and replacement resin radio kit is probably another £30.

Many thanks for the detailed reply gents!

I had kind of imagined that there wouldn't be much, if any aftermarket for the kit. It still looks very nice in the box, but my main area of concern was the rubber wheels and tracks. I may take up the suggestion of some of the 1/35 A/M to dress it up a bit. Main reason for buying this kit was that I have the Hasegawa 1/32 "Rommel" Storch, so diorama possibility bells started ringing. I think a bit of nostalgia is also at play, because I remember the original box art being very striking to this then 10 year old!

I will try and post some progress shots once I get going. Once again, thanks for the helpful insights!

Best regards;

Steve

• Like 1