Zvezda 1/72 IS-2

johnd

For my entry, I've decided to have a bash at a tank: the Zvezda 1/72 IS-2 to be precise.

sam_3506_34315573316_o

It's sold as snap-fit model which implies a basic standard of detail but the contents of the box look ok to me. I'm no expert though, so a look at a few reviews via Google was in order. The conclusion seemed to be that it's a decent effort for an IS-2 from 1944 but has some detail errors. As I'm just aiming for a good representation, that fits the bill nicely.

John.

Coming soon: sprue shots!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, Peter!

The IS tanks were introduced due to dissatisfaction with the performance of the KV. The measure of a tank design depends on three things; speed, protection and firepower. The Russians got this right with the T-34, not so with the KV-1. The latter was substantially heavier and therefore slower and its thicker armour was not seen as adequate compensation by the crews. The armament was the same for both vehicles. Attempts were made to up-gun the KV with an 85mm weapon but this was not entirely successful. The final solution was the IS-2, featuring a redesigned hull and turret accommodating a massive 122mm gun. This turned out to be a much bet than its predecessors to the extent that the Russians referred to it as the "Victory Tank".

John.

sam_3743_36467215631_o sam_3742_36467216941_o

There, some pictures. Only took an hour too.

These are the sprue shots promised in the original post, though actually, due to the erudition of Britmodeller, I now know that they're really runners and the sprue is the channel that supplies the plastic to the mould.

Apologies for the fuzziness of the shots. They're only there to show that it's not been started really, I mean, no-one actually looks at the parts, do they?

John.

• Like 2

dsc03010_35924874753_o

Some progress has been made: I've cut the turret parts off the runners as above. The muzzle brake is a metal replacement, I forget which make and it doesn't say on the packet. The one provided in the kit is a definite weak point, showing little similarity to the original.

And in a fit of enthusiasm:

sam_3746_35899821754_o

I stuck it together too. Although this is a snap kit, liquid cement was used to make things a little more permanent. The fit was ok as long the pins were lined up properly, though some of the handles were a little battered in the process.

The next step is to tidy up the glue marks and slap some paint on the turret. The instructions recommend Humbrol 116 for this, but I read that 117 is a match for Soviet tank green so was going to go with that. Opinions welcome...

John.

• Like 1

Good to see your IS-2 Is underway and good luck when you get to the painting. Looking good so far and good idea with the replacement muzzle break.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The turret now has some paint on it, Humbrol 117, which went quite well over some grey Hicote primer. It needs the machine guns added but some light weathering is next. Trouble is, a decision hasn't been made on the markings. Ideally, one without the white cross on the top. In the meantime, there's plenty to get on with.

e6316295_36645179660_o

There's also some paint gone on to the chassis and hull, pictures soon.

It's going together pretty well and it should be done within the new extension. What's slowing me down is actually the photography, light is quite poor at the moment.

John.

• Like 2

As I feared, the easy ride ended with the wheel assembly. The push fit of the axles to the hub is so tight I broke two despite making sure there was no paint on the surfaces. If I had my time again I'd ream the wheels first.

The broken axles have been stuck back with CA and are curing, awaiting the tracks.

John.

Apologies, people. The wheels have defeated me. The road wheel was simple enough to fix but the idler wheel broke off again when the track went on, as did the one on the other side. The track is simply too tight. I'd have to pin them both with a metal rod, I think to put the necessary strength in and I don't have the equipment for that at the moment. It's a shame as I was enjoying it. 

Thanks to @PlaStix, @Basilisk, and @Davek72 for the encouragement and also to @Sgt.Squarehead for the reference material.

John.

• Sad 1

Hi John. That's a real shame - I'm sorry the kit decided to fight back - you know what you have to do :fight: ;) Hope manage to get it sorted at some point.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnd said:

Thanks, Stix.

What's the rule for continuing after the deadline? Can I finish it off here and just not put it in the gallery?

John.

Yep - you certainly can continue here or you can ask the mods to move it to the Armour WIP section. Up to you. I will watch out for any progress of it.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1