1/72 Airfix A-4B Skyhawk - 1st RFI (OK - you can laugh!)

2 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Don't do yourself down, a great build!

One slight pedantic Selwyn weapons criticism, you missed the yellow HE bands off the noses of the bombs!

Selwyn

Yep - I knew you would pick it!! Actually I did attempt to neatly paint these bombs with yellow noses, however the 'neatly' part didn't quite go to plan! I tried to convince myself that these bands weren't always adhered too, however it's hard to find photographs where these do not exist. 

I'll try to master these on my next US Snakeye equipped project. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

That looks superb Dave :worthy: 

A great first RFI. One more model than I've completed in 13 years!

You've done a great paint job there, stunning scooter.

A quick question; for we 'down under' types; what's the Pledge product of which you speak, that is like Future ? I always get puzzled at the supermarket and would love some :).

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

A quick question; for we 'down under' types; what's the Pledge product of which you speak, that is like Future ? I always get puzzled at the supermarket and would love some :).

:goodjob: 

TonyT

36341234945_a138529eb1_b.jpg

Tony, this is the Pledge product(s) that I've been using of late. The one on the left is the older product I purchased in Oz via an eBay seller (not sure if he is still around) and the one on the right is the latest packaging that I picked up for about US $6 at a Walmart store whilst on holiday to the US and Canada. If you know someone who's travelling that way - give them a few bucks and tell them to buy you a few bottles. I brought mine back wrapped in towels and then sealed in a plastic Tupperware type box. If she leaks in your bag - your clothes are cactus - I was prepared to take the risk, although was bombarded with every worst case scenario on a daily basis from the missus!! 

I've seen Pledge products on sale here in Australia, however not this particular type - mainly wood grain polish which would have a brown tinge to it I suspect. 

I hope this helps and thanks for the very kind modelling comments. It's good to get a few runs on the board so get cracking and finish one Mr. Tiger!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I've seen Pledge products on sale here in Australia, however not this particular type

The next best option in Australia is a product called "Long Life" which sells for about A$12 to A$15 a bottle (1 litre) at Bunnings Hardware - and possibly other hardware stores I'm not aware of.  Granted, it is a cloudy, white product compared to the Pledge products, but it dries clear.   Works very well for me.

Nice Airfix Skyhawk, by the way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kapam said:
6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I've seen Pledge products on sale here in Australia, however not this particular type

The next best option in Australia is a product called "Long Life" which sells for about A$12 to A$15 a bottle (1 litre) at Bunnings Hardware - and possibly other hardware stores I'm not aware of.  Granted, it is a cloudy, white product compared to the Pledge products, but it dries clear.   Works very well for me.

Nice Airfix Skyhawk, by the way.

Ditto on the Pascoe's Long Life. I've used it for brush and spray painting. Also does a nice job on canopies.

Once dry/cured after a couple of days, it also behaves well with oil washes over the top... Mine was also from Bunnings!

Regards,

David 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kapam said:

Actually I think I've found my original Pledge eBay seller - http://www.polish-up.com.au/categories/polishing-compounds/pledge.html

I am not affiliated in any way, however this chap on Queensland's Sunny Coast has them in stock.  

Strangely - buying two individual bottles works out cheaper than purchasing his two-pack option?

Either way, it's not exactly cheap, but the large bottles should last a good while.   

Hope this helps... Dave

edit - I've just noticed he is currently Out of Stock, however expects to get some more in approx. 12 weeks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Ditto on the Pascoe's Long Life. I've used it for brush and spray painting. Also does a nice job on canopies.

Once dry/cured after a couple of days, it also behaves well with oil washes over the top... Mine was also from Bunnings!

Regards,

David 

That's good to know.

I recall a "Long Life" product when I was a teenager, so this may well be a similar product.

Cheers and thanks.. Dave  

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Actually I think I've found my original Pledge eBay seller - http://www.polish-up.com.au/categories/polishing-compounds/pledge.html

I am not affiliated in any way, however this chap on Queensland's Sunny Coast has them in stock.  

Strangely - buying two individual bottles works out cheaper than purchasing his two-pack option?

Either way, it's not exactly cheap, but the large bottles should last a good while.   

Hope this helps... Dave

Thanks Dave (and Kapam and David) :)

I just saw your PM too Dave; thanks :thumbsup2: 

We moved from Brisbane to ACT in January. All I could find up in Brisbane was the floor polish that looks like it may have a brown tinge.

The last Pledge blue bottle stuff I had was in England in 2004, from a shop called Wilkinson's (Wilkos). Even then I had to order it in specially.

I tried the product that Humbrol makes and it's a bit unreliable; it sent a couple of more or less finished P40's cloudy :(.

I think it's one from the Gold Coast and one from Bunnings and a bit of fun comparing them :D!

Sorry for OT Dave :sorry: . It's all your fault for getting such a good finish and getting the decals on so well :lol:!

KUTA duly received; I will get one completed, honest dad... :poke:.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Sorry for OT Dave :sorry: . It's all your fault for getting such a good finish and getting the decals on so well :lol:!

KUTA duly received; I will get one completed, honest dad... :poke:.

Best regards

TonyT

Hi Tony,

Your comment about decals reminded me that decals seem to go onto the Long Life well too (but I also routinely use MicroSol and MicroSet to get them jammed into the nooks and crannies).

Regards,

David

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Yep - I knew you would pick it!! Actually I did attempt to neatly paint these bombs with yellow noses, however the 'neatly' part didn't quite go to plan! I tried to convince myself that these bands weren't always adhered too, however it's hard to find photographs where these do not exist. 

I'll try to master these on my next US Snakeye equipped project. 

Cheers.. Dave 

You wont find  HE bombs on aircraft without a yellow hazard band, its what warns the user that it contains High Explosive,  without it it breaks all sorts of UN/Nato rules.

Selwyn

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

You wont find  HE bombs on aircraft without a yellow hazard band, its what warns the user that it contains High Explosive,  without it it breaks all sorts of UN/Nato rules.

Selwyn

Thanks for the factual information Selwyn.

It's always appreciated and helps us mere modellers to (hopefully) get things right.

Cheers.. Dave

No laughing here.  It looks superb.  I really like how you've toned down the sheen of the finish and I will have to try something similar on my next build as I find Kleer finishes can be just a bit too glossy sometimes.   I really, really wish that present day military aircraft were still as colourful as this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks for the factual information Selwyn.

It's always appreciated and helps us mere modellers to (hopefully) get things right.

Cheers.. Dave

I'm just a mere modeller myself.  

I just do aircraft weapons professionally!

Selwyn

• Like 1

Nice build, even the close up photos which on my computer are two or three times bigger than the real thing stand up well. I have the same kit on the shelf of doom and I note I have the same flight deck base somewhere, bought sometime in the last century, Verlinden I think?

I got to crawl over a real preserved but flying A4 last year. It really is a small jet. 

I really must try and finish mine now. I always like the A4. 

I have plenty of Pledge too, sadly these days I mostly use it on the kitchen floor.

• Like 1