1/32 Azur Polikarpov I-16 Type 10, Super Mosca

Another one off the production line....

Polikarpov I-16, Type 10, 1. Squadron, Lina Base, Spain, April 1938.

The kit is somewhat daunting when you're first presented with the sprues and care will be needed throughout the build, there are no major problems it's just a bit of an old school build, meaning filler on every join and wing roots with a large gap etc.

I used super glue as a filler which worked quite well, the few panel lines were then re-scribed and I added a few rivets around the engine cowling. The cockpit is sparse, as the real thing and you can't really see anything other than the chair. Seatbelts are supplied in etch metal and resin exhausts are included. For the silver ring on the cowling I used a thin strip of foil tape which works from stand off scale but would have been better painted.

Painting was quite straightforward and done in a day with MRP standard soviet colours from WW2. There are decals for the fin but I chose to paint this instead, the rest of the decals are nice, maybe slightly thick for the scale. 

For finishing I used a different method by buffing the paint back with a cloth and sanding sticks, then I rubbed pigments lightly all over the airframe to give a dusty look.

I'm trying to get a bit of realism from my larger models and I've started experimenting with techniques such as not having dead straight lines on paint finishes, building in imperfections in the finish and trying not to use the conversational gloss coat, matt coat etc. and instead buff the paint back with a cloth and fine sanding sticks. I would have preferred paint masks for the markings on this build so I may move to that for future builds over 1/48.

Anyway hope you can see what I'm trying to achieve :smile:

Kit: Azur Polikarpov I-16, Type 10, Super Mosca
Scale: 1/32
Built: OOB
Paints used: MRP RLM 62, MRP-024 A II G Light Blue, Xf 7, MRP White, MRP Black, Xf 58
Weathering: Mig pigments European Earth, Desert Sand, Flory Dark Dirt Wash

[img_6183]

[img_6188]

[img_6219]

[img_6186]

[img_6191]

[img_6201]

[img_6202]

[img_6193]

[img_6228]

[img_6198]

• Like 13