1/16 Panzer IV Type H

Here is a start on a new project, Trumpeter's Panzer IV Type H in 1/16 scale.  Rather large project with 80 odd sprues and over 2000 parts.

That's a Dragon 1/35 Tiger II beside it for scale.  Won't be as involved or complete as Gremlin's build of "Buttercup" but what the heck.

LbdTOAr.jpgdf8Ar58.jpgdgVfpoN.jpgr15Kk4o.jpgsfYKvC1.jpgZxUhcdY.jpgK8hNxuQ.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 4

Slow going on this one.  Managed to get all of the wheels together and the sprocket assemblies. Built up the glacis and front plate.

Going to try making the front plate removable as you can't see much through the hatches.

VR5cqRy.jpgDOVH5M1.jpgIDW1Dx4.jpgCLAkZh9.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Ozzy it's a bit more than a start now.

Here it is with the tracks temporarily fitted.  The idler wheels flop around so their mounts will have to be glued in place once the tracks are installed permanently and the tension adjusted, right now it's a royal pain

and the road wheels fall off as they aren't glued yet.  About 10 minutes to install the first track, start the second, go back and put the wheels back on the first side, go back to the second and

put more wheels on, then back to the first, and so on.  Don't try to pick it up as most of the 16 wheels fall off.

Certainly can't see much inside, even looking through the turret ring.  It doesn't look like I'll be able to make the plate over the brake drums

removable as it tucks under the front plate where the hull mg mounts.  I'll have to settle for leaving the two hatches open over the brakes and the driver's and radio

operator's hatches open also.

eYIFiqq.jpgrz2grkF.jpg0kWRSwu.jpgGN7SRwx.jpgunmpBPC.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Richard

Wondering what I got myself into with this one.  Those tracks for example have 5 sprue gates per link to clean up and with 218 links thats just short of

1100 sprue burrs to remove.  Gads that's a chore and my thumbs are not playing nice with the Xacto knife any more.  Hurts more, or as much as, paper cuts.

Wonder why Trumpeter has only 4 sprue gates on the huge pieces, albeit large sprue connections, and sometimes 5 or more on the tiny little pieces you can hardly hold?? Another

one of life's mysteries I suppose. 

I just finished building a Bronco kit, my first Bronco, of a Stug III in 1/35 and that took 2 days until it's ready for the paint booth.  This monster

Trumpeter is going to take lots longer and what's really a rip off is that 80-90% of the interior can't be seen when it's complete.  To bad they

didn't engineer removable parts for display.  On the other hand I was looking at an AFV Club 1/35 T-35/85 that had part of the hull and turret moulded

in clear plastic as it also has a complete interior and I think it looks silly.  If I were to buy it I would paint the clear parts normally and forget

about the interior. 

Sure was nice to see the temp drop from the 37C on Sunday and since it's been over 30C for the last 3-4 weeks here in the Hat today was a relief at only 25C.

Running the a/c for 20 hours a day is getting expensive and why when it's 30C+ outside does everyone have head colds?

Take care,

Lloyd.

Turret finished inside and out.  Added some lead shot to the empty shell casing basket to balance the weight of the metal gun barrel.  It's not prototype

but the gun stays where I put it now without gluing the gears.  Added pins to the hinges on the doors over the brake drums.  Tried to drill out the hinges on the doors on the turret sides but

that's impossible now, should have done it before mounting the hinges.  I'll glue one door open and one closed.

I added handles to the doors on the 3 vertical shell storage bins then found out the turret wouldn't turn past the new handles so I had to carve a bit off of one of the turret basket support pillars for clearance.

The turret now turns 360 and the gun elevates.

Still have to finish making the fiddly tool brackets and mounting the tools and the schurzen brackets on the hull and then start building the shells I've been putting off. The upper hull and

front plate are just dry fitted so I can add shells and throw some muck around inside as it's too pristine white for now.  Not sure how I'll paint the inside of the schurzen plates on the turret,

the doors in the schurzen are just taped in place temporarily so it might be not bad.

Starting to look like a tank though, all angles, shot traps and warts.

zNdV0ko.jpgrBoohrt.jpgBtRXRkr.jpgVCHsuQY.jpglc5Rtf8.jpgkCQ2wRE.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 2

Lloyd, don't know how you'll display the tank once done but could you install a couple of micro LEDs in the hull and turret, this might make viewing through the hatches easier.  I assume the real thing had some sort of internal lighting you could emulate.  Power source for the LEDs would be in the base..

For this vehicle due to the interior and scale I will suggest the turret seats on the service rack. That allow to enjoy the view of full interior. 

Here she is with the schurzen dry fitted.  Working on the 75 odd shells to fill the racks then some dirt and grime for the interior so I can fit the

upper hull in place one last time.  The whole interior is painted and the radio and shell racks installed, that radio is a project itself and can barely be seen.

Wheels and tracks to be painted yet then the whole thing off to the paint shop.

rnzP1iw.jpg1pRSYKj.jpgvm6KPvy.jpg94jTGQ5.jpg

• Like 4

Had some time this aft so she's all dressed up with a yellow dress and some new shoes.

That will change in a day or so as she's going to get that dress dirty and the shoes scuffed and filthy.

The upper hull is removable to show off the interior and while it doesn't fit completely tightly on the fenders there are so many other

cracks and crevices in these old  Panzer IV's that it's almost not noticeable.  I have to remember to pick it up by the fenders now as the top

pops off and just about had a major wreck earlier.  Once the schurzen plates get hung on the sides then it can only be picked up by front and rear which

won't happen after it gets into the display case.  I wish Tamiya sold acrylics in bigger bottles  (for the same price of course, haha)

cFCvVnn.jpgAG28ASe.jpgmSAx0Xw.jpgzPKWACr.jpgDTKnYlO.jpgvZwJ2Ur.jpgrfGStb3.jpg

• Like 2