The Millennium Sparrow (Bandai 1:350th Millennium Falcon)

While I've generally been sticking to the 1:144th scale of the Vehicle Model fighters and other ships, I just branched out into the 1:350th scale Millennium Falcon. Aka the "Mini-llennium" Falcon, or the as I've dubbed it, the Millennium Sparrow. 

(technically, Millenium Shrike would be more accurate - the Shrike being the smallest bird of prey, but that's neither here nor there). 

36313499315_28df618fd3_b.jpg

36271241896_782caccb72_b.jpg

I did something a little different from the typical MF paint job (aside from painting the panels with TFA colors) - instead of leaving the side walls the base color and just dirtying them up, I painted them in contrasting Vallejo Metal Color metallic acrylics. Gun Metal as the base, with Duraluminum drybrushing for highlights. I also did the same for the maintenance wells. 

36146110302_71746131b6_b.jpg 

36271240626_5ec0b2dd37_b.jpg

I thought it might look cool, and like I've done with my X-Wings, I like having the mechanical bits looking more, well, mechanical. I probably won't repeat it for the sidewalls of the 1:144 Falcon when I get around to that (although I'm *definitely* doing it for the maintenance pits - with all the layering in the larger kit you can get a lot of beautiful complexity there), but I do like how it looks. 

36313489725_78620ef491_b.jpg

The engine is simply a transparent pearl blue over Duraluminum. No trick lighting, although I'm tempted to pick up another to see how much lighting I can pack into it. There's a lot more internal space to work with in the Falcon than in the box-scale X-wing or Y-wing. 

36313482165_623247d205_b.jpg

More pics if you click through to the flickr gallery, including some of the in-progress stages of weathering. 

Edited by monsterpartyhat
Fixed all the flickr links.
  • Like 12

9 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

And what a lovely sparrow/shrike it is.

I really like the way you've done the sidewalls and wells. Gives them a lot more depth and visual interest than basing them in grey.

Andy

Thanks! I'm *really* looking forward to painting the maintenance wells on the 1:144th Falcon (in a way, this was a practice run for the bigger bird). The way they've engineered the larger model's wells in layers makes for a lot of detail possibilities. 

Great build on the itty bitty Falcon.

As far as lighting goes, engines and front mandible lights are no problem, I think you could also do the landing lights and if you purchase a cockpit from Shapeways you can add light there too!

QbZpFVc.jpg

Z0yUp8d.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Madmonk said:

Great build on the itty bitty Falcon.

As far as lighting goes, engines and front mandible lights are no problem, I think you could also do the landing lights and if you purchase a cockpit from Shapeways you can add light there too!

Nice - those landing lights looks really good!

Nice work! I really like the model especially the lighting.  Your thread however, raises a long standing question that has bubbled in my brain for some time. If Star Wars happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away - then how would they possibly know about falcons? And if they don't write using the English language alphabet (and they don't!) then how did they end up with A,B,U,X and Y wings?

13 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Nice work! I really like the model especially the lighting.  Your thread however, raises a long standing question that has bubbled in my brain for some time. If Star Wars happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away - then how would they possibly know about falcons? And if they don't write using the English language alphabet (and they don't!) then how did they end up with A,B,U,X and Y wings?

The magical technology that brought us well-edited audiovisual streams from a galaxy far far away includes a magic Babel Fish. 

• Thanks 1

Perhaps its not technology. Perhaps it's proof that the force is real!

Anyway, enough of this thread drift - good job on the Century Sparrow! (A millennium  was way too big for such a cute little thing):D

• Like 1

I just found a build of the 1:144th scale Bandai falcon with highly detailed sidewalls and greeblie bits. Definitely the nicest slightly-alternative paint job I've seen for the Falcon: 

Amazing Gundam builds in that account, too. I'm going to paint the details on my Falcon a lot like this. 

Edited by monsterpartyhat