F-15E, 1/144 Revell #Finished#

parip

Disaster!!!
I tried to apply whole decal (right side went ok). First it broke during removal from backing sheet, I thought ok no problem, placed first part, but remaining part refused to cooperate...
37308123876_181e5f17dd_c.jpg

23503782178_e0c0ae681a_c.jpg
Not happy...

:rage:

Rade

That's tough Rade! 😕

Having dealt so well with the intakes ... and the Eagle looks so cool so far ....

(I, in your case, would probably buy another kit just for the decals and the sake of an very well done model!  I guess you could also order/ask Revell for a new sheet. What I heard so far they are quite friendly in that respect. But I doubt that would be in time ... Or I would try to paint the stripes first with a pencil and once happy with the shape, trying to paint it with a brush. But that's easy to say while I am building 1/72 only 😜)

I wish you good luck and patience!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, helium said:

That's tough Rade! 😕

Having dealt so well with the intakes ... and the Eagle looks so cool so far ....

(I, in your case, would probably buy another kit just for the decals and the sake of an very well done model!  I guess you could also order/ask Revell for a new sheet. What I heard so far they are quite friendly in that respect. But I doubt that would be in time ... Or I would try to paint the stripes first with a pencil and once happy with the shape, trying to paint it with a brush. But that's easy to say while I am building 1/72 only 😜)

I wish you good luck and patience!!

Hi Holger,

Thanks for the kind words!

My understanding is that Revell will not ship spares to Switzerland (it has to go via their representative). Anyhow, I have spent quite some time on Revell site last evening, and realized, that in the second kit (Strike eagle & bombs 03972), they have actually included Lantirn pods, but not in the one I am building. My LHS doesn't have any of these on stock(checked already), so on my next trip to Germany (could be also this weekend), I might look for these little ones on the shelves..., and to be honest I really like how this kit is going together (never mind intakes and my decalling issue).

Painting stripes with brush is simply out of my league. Anyhow I will have to respray this area because decal softening solution & brush action (during the battle) have attacked clear coat and left some marks... 

1 hour ago, Dazzio said:

Ouch that's not good Rade, I may have a few spares if you're interested?  Just message me. Really looking good btw :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thanks Dazzio,

I am definitely interested, message sent...

Apart from respraying wing area, I still have to seal already applied decals, attach orange tiger stripes to the verticals, add yellow stripes(formation panels!?), as well as, national markings on the wings (left side is on hold), and prepare base.

Cheers!!!

Rade

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Hi Rade

I'm sure you'll overcome the problems with the decals- my version of this kit stalled on the KUTA shelf before I got to the decals.

Hi FortyEighter,

I hope I will. It is a pity that we are putting away unfinished kits. My KUTA collection is qualified to form serious armed force (planes, ships, tanks...) and I don’t want to see it growing.

That being said, here is what has been done yesterday afternoon/evening.

First goal is to protect model - cling film, post-it notes, tamiya tape

I have sanded the area

37146825350_8b957a163e_c.jpg

and than sprayed vallejo black as prime coat, and two coats of Mr. hobby 305.

23551880718_c0a0204601_c.jpg

Applied orange decals on the verticals,

23551881068_1c5aba16a1_c.jpg

23551881218_287afb960b_c.jpg
I trimmed them a bit, as per Azureglo's  build, but should have a bit more...

Now I have to seal the decals (and trim the one i have  just spotted as i am writing these words {right horizontal stabilizer clear film overhang... } )   and reapply gloss on the wing.

In theory one spraying session.

Cheers!!!

Rade

• Like 1

On 9/30/2017 at 10:46, Hewy said:

Shame about  your little decal hitch, nice model in the making though rade

Thanks Hewy,

Gloss applied and few more decals added

37500640461_9e9bc67627_c.jpg

Orange decals carefully trimmed 

37500641171_8a9d8d6824_c.jpg

and (I don't know the correct term) ring before exhaust nozzle (I did not like my first attempt, contrast was to high - see second post on this page) repainted with mixture revell steel&beige; exhaust cone is added for "clarity". 

37452812456_c844f18c4d_c.jpg

Not much left to do...

I have to revisit Lantirn pods and prepare base.

Cheers!!!

Rade

• Like 2

Hang in there Rade,  My little tip here is using super hot water with a drop of dish soap (washing up liquid) , this softens your decal. Then float it on a small pool of microset on the model. This method worked fine on these same decals. The softened decal plus the low surface tension of the water/microset means that re- positioning is easy as there is still a very thin film of water under the decal till you roll a q-tip over it to "squeegee" it out.

I could hold up many of the decals using my fibre tweezers and trim them using my xuron photo etch scissors so their thickness is useful , its the super strong adhesive that you have to watch out for (interestingly enough, it will be dissolved quicker by the very hot water).

Hope Mr D's decals get there soon and this bird will join its playmate in the gallery!

A

• Like 3

22 hours ago, azureglo said:

Hang in there Rade,  My little tip here is using super hot water with a drop of dish soap (washing up liquid) , this softens your decal. Then float it on a small pool of microset on the model. This method worked fine on these same decals. The softened decal plus the low surface tension of the water/microset means that re- positioning is easy as there is still a very thin film of water under the decal till you roll a q-tip over it to "squeegee" it out.

I could hold up many of the decals using my fibre tweezers and trim them using my xuron photo etch scissors so their thickness is useful , its the super strong adhesive that you have to watch out for (interestingly enough, it will be dissolved quicker by the very hot water).

Hope Mr D's decals get there soon and this bird will join its playmate in the gallery!

A

Thanks Azureglo,

Here is my setup for decals, nothing fancy, pink Ikea water bath, self-locking tweezers for holding decal backing sheet during the process, Mr. Mark setter & softer, brush and tamiya decal tweezers. Beside these, scissors, kitchen paper and q-tips are always around.

Usually I have the problem with removal of the decal from backing sheet. I tend to poke decal with brush until it starts to move, and it goes from there either with brush or with tweezers (i do not recommend the ones I have, because they have bad habit, at least in my hands, to damage decals)...You have mentioned above fibre tweezers, which one do you use?

37519677391_dd1d0b629f_c.jpg

Cheers!!!

Rade

Hi Rade

I use these , the're Swiss made and usually 30-40 euros but occasionally there are deals. To be honest I also have some made in china versions that are just as good and cost a fraction , if you get these buy spare tips as well! Re the getting the decal off the paper problem, that;s where you'll find using very hot (i mean just boiled ) water will help, it's melt the glue in seconds, if you're careful and check what you're doing with a spare decal from the sheet.

A

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, azureglo said:

Hi Rade

I use these , the're Swiss made and usually 30-40 euros but occasionally there are deals. To be honest I also have some made in china versions that are just as good and cost a fraction , if you get these buy spare tips as well! Re the getting the decal off the paper problem, that;s where you'll find using very hot (i mean just boiled ) water will help, it's melt the glue in seconds, if you're careful and check what you're doing with a spare decal from the sheet.

A

Hi Azureglo,

Thanks for the links and explanation about decal removal.

I have started with base (wooden cube 5.5cm);

drilled two holes 4mm to accept acrylic rod, and painted in black.

37179808352_fb2894db33_c.jpg

This was then masked 

37500641411_c02840c3de_c.jpg

Sprayed white

37519677721_507e030106_c.jpg

Yellow

37519677971_7c45dbb94a_c.jpg

and orange

37519678501_be2258b6d4_c.jpg

here is the result

37519678931_3dc5058ebf_c.jpg

Some touch-up to be done, but nothing major...

Perhaps it looks like some kind of festival mask (due to the (a)symmetry), but it was quick and fun side project to do, and I am fine with result...

Cheers!!!

Rade

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have added remaining decals, glued exhaust nozzles, painted formation lights (green is barely visible) 

24081096648_8063817bac_o.jpg

Bought new kit

24081096408_16ff5642de_o.jpg

Decal removed

37932349601_01a03ed870_o.jpg

Cut individual stripes and applied

37932349791_84fa7834b5_o.jpg

Remaining tasks: apply varnish (hopefully silvering will disappear), unmask canopy, glue the pods and post in the gallery before the end of GB.

Cheers!!!

Rade

• Like 3

17 hours ago, helium said:

A nice idea with the base, Rade 😄 That looks cool and makes it really unique.

Thanks Holger!

I am glad you like it, it is as cheep as you can get and saves some space for the display...

Here is final update.

Varnish applied, canopy unmasked & pods attached

37984487781_690ecbf5c0_c.jpg

37984488261_d97be95e2f_c.jpg

Ready for the last photo session... 

37984495491_50e9263475_c.jpg

37275388324_a606f1986f_c.jpg

Cheers!!!

:cheers:

Rade

• Like 3