1/72 Zvezda Petlyakov Pe-8

Dear fellow Britmodellers,

this is Zvezda's 1/72 Petlyakov Pe-8.

I picked this kit from an IMPS swap meet many moons ago, for a very reasonable price (around 15€);

that's what led me to believe it was either an old mold or a re-box of the Amodel kit.

I was surprised to find out that this is a modern state-of-the-art tooling with fine surfaces and sufficient details.

Eduard provide paint masks, which I used, given the plethora of small windows and turrets.

I used aftermarket decals from AML, which I had bought 3-4 years ago.

Their products seem to have a lifespan similar to fresh milk.

I have had serious problems with their decals before, and it was troublesome with this sheet as well, with some of the stars and slogans exploding into dozens of fragments when trying to slide them off their backing paper.

In the end I had to use what was left, therefore my model has a combination of silver patriotic slogans and white-bordered-stars (which I took from an old Propagteam sheet that worked well).

The model was painted with Gunze/Mr.Hobby acrylics.

This Pe-8 is currently my biggest 72 scale model, even dwarfing the massive B-24 Liberator on my shelf!

To give you an idea of its size, I parked my recently finished 1/72 Italeri Macchi 205 under the wing:

82ea9e8e-1621-430b-acfa-f9eec19b4c59.jpg

03b34bc1-cdde-4c11-b91c-7fcc5a717817.jpg27e46147-e9f5-44d2-b281-5d17fde135b2.jpgc074b226-c5c9-43bc-adca-a2ada397aaf8.jpg

d3711864-04e8-474a-846d-84d7ac29ee49.jpg5ca2ae0f-f97a-4060-ac3c-f1fdf9894b27.jpg

All photographs by Wolfgang Rabel of IGM Cars & Bikes, thank you.

Edited by Roman Schilhart
  • Like 71
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Beautiful build and finish Roman,an unusual and rare beast indeed.

Absolutely! :) Lancs and Fortresses? Nah..... a Pe-8 or similar every time for variety, interest, impression and that wow factor! ;) (just my view, not everyone's)

Martin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IPMS19 said:

EXCELLENT JOB......In 48....

If I model can be built to this standard in 1/72 why would you need 1/48? Go on, accept the challenge and cast off the shackles of larger scales ..... ;)

Martin

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JWM said:

Excellent build! I have this beast in stash, but I am still too shame to start construction it... ;)

Cheers

J-W

There's no such thing as "shame" when it comes to plastic modelling!

1 hour ago, IPMS19 said:

- EXCELLENT JOB......In 48.........My dream.....  could turn into my nightmare.......:yes: :yes:

This beast is already super large in 72scale.

If you fancy an 48scale replica (if that does exist?) , go build another garage behind your house.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

There's no such thing as "shame" when it comes to plastic modelling!

Obviously, I am joking... In fact before i starting work on some model I am collecting some photos, infos etc. - to get some ideas about detailing, colours etc. I have not done it in case of Pe-8. By the way - what exactly paints have you used? Looks OK for me

Regards

J-W

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JWM said:

Obviously, I am joking... In fact before i starting work on some model I am collecting some photos, infos etc. - to get some ideas about detailing, colours etc. I have not done it in case of Pe-8. By the way - what exactly paints have you used? Looks OK for me

Regards

J-W

Of course you must be joking because I have seen you can build very nice models, too!

I have used the following Gunze Mr.Hobby acrylics.

Upper surfaces - Brown H71+BrownH72 (mix 50/50); Green (H303 if I remember correctly?), Tire Black (H77)

Undersurface - preshading with H12 Black, main color Tire Black (H77).

It was rather difficult to find original photographs of this aircraft online, and I don't have much reference material either.

(To be totally honest, I didn't even know this type of aircraft until I came across the Zvezda model kit.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! There is also (was a bit earlier) kit of Pe-8 by A-model with different engines and much more expensive. 

In Poland this type was more known since some propaganda on Soviet achievements in WWII (I am speaking on communist times) - much later I realized how limited production of it was if you compare to Britts or US four-engined machines. In orginal series was only 37 machines. In the end of war they started production again of some similar numbers. Alltogether 93 were constructed. Not very much more than some 40 of Piaggio P 108...

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Thanks 1

This is a beautiful build Roman. 

I too have this in the stash; there is a boxing that is claimed to be 'Stalin's aircraft', but it seems doubtful that he ever flew it.

Also in the stash an AModel manufacture Arctic explorer version that looks very nice.

These are so big and heavy, even in 1/73 but very elegant. Your build is inspiring :).

:goodjob: 

TonyT

36 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

Wow! That looks fantastic! 

Wonder how it would look sitting next to a B-29?

It's smaller than a B-29 and the Ju290. In fact it's only slightly longer than a B-17 according to it's wiki entry but it does have a huge wingspan for it's size, about 128ft, still short of the aforementioned aircraft but still bigger than most 4 engine bombers of ww2.

That's a very nicely done model and it's yet another one I have in the stash that will form the centrepiece of my WW2 Russian collection.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

but it seems doubtful that he ever flew it.

I think I'm right that Stalin feared flying. The only flight he took in his life was to the Crimea in WW2 for the conference..... I may be wrong!

Martin

• Like 1

Da! Roman, what a great job! A big model is hard to weather, especially in black without it looking like a plastic toy, and you have nailed it on this model! I really like the Pe-8 in this scheme, too! I have been afraid to take mine out of the box, but you have inspired me! The Pe-8 has always  reminded me of a smaller Boeing  XB-15 with that big wing. Nice to see somebody who can mask and paint transparencies precisely, too- bet you had fun doing all that glass! Double thumbs-up, sir!

Mike

Look at the link to the XB-15 photo and tell me they're  not related, at least by appearance?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/XB-15_Bomber.jpg

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling- added link

16 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Da! Roman, what a great job! A big modes is hard to weather, especially in black without it looking like a plastic toy, and you have nailed it on this model! I really like the Pe-8 in this scheme, too! I have been afraid to take mine out of the box, but you have inspired me! The Pe-8 has always  reminded me of a smaller Boeing  XB-15 with that big wing. Nice to see somebody who can mask and paint transparencies precisely, too- bet you had fun doing all that glass! Double thumbs-up, sir!

Mike

Thanks!

The clear parts are crucial - mess them up, and you've spolied the whole build!

I used Eduards masks to make my life easier:

df90dd74-6599-4543-80a7-0ea697b82273.jpga36f3a46-6d22-4c59-a478-98b05c52406a.jpgb70f0a40-960c-4eca-aa7a-cfc80f44bcef.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Hi My Friend Roman!!!

First: CONGRATULATIONS for this wonderful build!!!

SECOND: Its real that with the friendship of many many people here like Jerzy, Mario, You and many more, one is in a trip of getting knowledge that never ends...and I think really this is not only a past time to give the satisfaction of only gluing and fixing plastic parts with glue and embellish them with PE frets, resins and paint...is a real bigger thing that also involves in an educational and culture sharing, friendship, camaraderie and  the real pleasure to be in between a great community with wonderful people of the same feeling and the joy to share anything with wonderful people who understands about the theme.

About the subject: Is a real wonderful beast that looks wonderful well built as you did!!!

I have not knew this aircraft until browsing for other russian subjects something in reference appeared in the search and really the bird looks impressive, I like a huge lot the colorful and vivid mixing of colours, but the very nicest detail is the weathering you have achieved here. In the end, the RUSSIAN MONSTER looks wonderful!!!

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 1