This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mancunian airman

Computer help please

Appealing to those who know more than I do when it involved pc stuff.

I need an idiot guide, if possible, how to convert  word document into a PDF file.

Unfortunately I need to start sending out my CV but its been so long, hadn't realised everybody need such on job applications.

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Ian

Hi Ian

Once you have the document open, If you click either "File" or the "Office" button, at the top left of your toolbar, from the drop down choose "Save As",  you should then get in the options "PDF or XPS". Choose this option and save to the location of your choice. 

Hope this helps! 

Ian

Thanks to you both for replying but  . . . 

When I open the document and click on the 'Save as' I dont see the option for PDF ?? (Rich TXT -- DOS -- Word Doc3 & 4 amongst a few to name )

Also I tried the link which worked but It did not recognize my document as a 'Word' doc. It took an absolute age to even appear

I am considering re-writing the CV but how do I save it, which format ??

Perhaps my 'XP' doesnt have the ability to save to any such format ??

Further suggestions welcomed  . . .

Ian

Only the more recent versions of Word can save as PDF. You could try installing this PDF Creator which sets itself up as a virtual printer - instead of saving as a PDF you 'print' your Word file to the PDF Creator and it saves it.

Another online file converter is Zamzar.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks for that Link Steve.

I had to re-write my CV and have now dispatched it off for them to convert.

Only time will tell ??

many thanks again.

Ian

What about printing off one copy, scanning it which would then save it as a .pdf?

Trevor

Does it need converting? Most companies receive and accept them in word format. I've never converted mine to PDF.

Trevor

I used to have a scanner but lost the driver for it, an old HP Scanjet 2000, but now one cant get the drivers for XP machines.

In the same vain, as its XP it doesnt have the option when you  'Save as' to save as a PDF file hence the conversion 

I am reluctance to purchase a new operating system, (quite happy with the few bits i do now), and then have to purchase a new scanner and a printer. I think when I had the full 'set' all was well but this Wifi system has left me behind.

29 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Does it need converting? Most companies receive and accept them in word format. I've never converted mine to PDF.

I haven't applied for a job for almost 15yrs and virtually nobody excepts a 'hard copy' of a CV. (Would that be right ?)

When applying on-line, it asks for the CV and when I previously tried to attach it the PC says It doesnt recognise the format ???

Thanks for the interest shown, I am pleased to say that the LINK provided by Steve has worked and I am now in possession of a PDF formatted CV.

Forums like this are great, so many willing to help  . . . sincere 'Thank You' to all 

Ian

Glad you're sorted Ian, strange that it doesn't accept it unless it's an old version of Word that was throwing it off.