Viscount V.630 conversion.

Admiral Puff

I am researching a conversion of  the Mach 2 Viscount 700 kit to G-AHRF/VX211, the sole Viscount V.630. According to Robin Macrae Dunn’s Airliner Tech on the Viscount, the V.700 was developed from the V.630 by stretching the fuselage either side of the main spar and increasing the wing span by 5 feet “thanks to a new inner section”. It seems to me that a V.630 model could be produced by reverse engineering the Mach 2 kit.

Shortening the fuselage looks to be fairly straightforward, but there seems to be a problem with reducing the wing span. If the alteration to the original was made by a simple increase in span inboard of the inner nacelles, a quick fiddle with the V.700 GA drawings that I have suggests that taking the appropriate amount out of the kit wings would mean that the inner props would come very close to, if not actually strike, the fuselage. This doesn’t seem right. The alternative seems to be either a much more serious redesign of the wings to adjust the span while leaving the engines in the same position, or much smaller props on the V.630. Has anyone any GA drawings or suggestions as to how to resolve this conundrum? I have sent an inquiry to VickersViscount.net, but as yet no reply, and Google hasn't been all that much help.

Hi Admiral.
I tried to investigate the problem of the extended wing on the 700 series Viscounts.
If you look to this picture (right klick - open in new tab), you can see that the leading edge (or its ideal prolongement) hits the fuselage approx at the axis of a window and the trailing edge prolongement on the axis of the further fifth window (being the third absent).
In this other one (right klick - open in new tab) the prolongements of the leading and trailing edges intersect the fuselage in a way that the 5 windows are widely contained.
So my guess is that the 2,5 feet per side are added at the root.
The book you reported (that I have) also states that the nacelles were slimmer, the main weehl legs were centered on the nacelle and also some modification was made to the cockpit windows.
So, not an easy task, but it could be done.
You can also enter in touch with the vickersviscount.net website and get some interesting news.

Good luck.

Best regards

Eugenio

Edited by 72linerlover
modified link

Thanks, Eugenio - that first shot is one I hadn't seen before, and has some useful detail.

I'm in touch with Brian Burrage at vickersviscount.net, and he's agreed to do some ferreting for me - let's see what that may bring!

Hi Admiral,

I've just been looking at my copy of Stewart Wilson's 'Viscount, Comet and Concorde' book which states that, quote, 'the wingspan was increased by 5ft 0in (1.52m) by adding a new inner section (which also moved the engines further away from fuselage....)' So yes the 630's props were closer to the fuselage. I'll scan the 630 section for you and email it if you can pm me your address.

Cheers,

Ian