Falklands C130 Hercules what type ?

LaurieS

I want to build a C130 Hercules RAF which served during the Falklands.

Despite a long time trying to find which type i am no further than where I started from.

C1 C3 130/K. Extended fuselage or standard.

Can any one point me down the correct route.

Laurie

This is a not very good scan of the aircraft that I had a flight in when I was down the Falklands in 1991, it had been converted to a tanker configuration

with a large fuel tank in the cargo bay with the hose exiting through a hole in the rear loading ramp.

36126494162_8370dbed5c_c.jpg13-08-2009 00;04;10 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

Hope it is of some use to you.

Willy

3 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Defo k and probably both types.

There is an RAF chick who flew hercs....think she inhabits the civil airline thread....someone will know soon

Unfortunately that's Ascoteer. She no longer lives here.....

Anyway as previously stated definitely K versions, though to be pedantic none were at the Falklands during the conflict. All varieties of 1 and 3 would have been there once the new facilities were online. Hazarding a guess that all would have been probed.

Trevor

41 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Unfortunately that's Ascoteer. She no longer lives here.....

Anyway as previously stated definitely K versions, though to be pedantic none were at the Falklands during the conflict. All varieties of 1 and 3 would have been there once the new facilities were online. Hazarding a guess that all would have been probed.

Trevor

Mmm. I read Trevor that one had flown down to the Falklands and dumped the new CO, after H Jones the Co had been killed,

Chris Keeble in the sea .

Believe there were other flights dumping equipment needed.

Were the K versions the extended fuselage ? Read there were some extended and some not. This is where it gets, for me, confusing

with contradictions.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Killingholme said:

There were plenty of C-130s on the Falklands... ;)

Depends on which side you are talking of Killingholme. :unsure:

Argentinian actually landing yes. I know Harriers knocked down one may be two.

British. Over the Falklands but not on land. There was a difficulty here the Argentinians

were in occupation of the airport. They did not allow British C130-K's to land. Shame

on them after all we owned the airport. :lalala:

Laurie

Virtually all the Hercules fleet was involved in the campaign.

At the time of the Falklands war the RAF was part way through the Hercules C.3 conversion program.  The following had been converted to C.3 standard at the time of the Argentine invasion

XV176, XV183, XV197, XV202, XV207, XV219, XV220, XV221, XV290, XV294, XV303 and XV305.

XV188 and XV301 were under conversion and and returned to RAF service on 1st April and 19th May respectively.

XV184, XV212 and XV217 remained under conversion throughout the war.

A number of aircreft were fitted with additional additonal fuel tanks inside the fuselage to extend their range. The first extended-range aircraft to be deployed was XV196 which is known to have flown a mission to drop supplies to the ships "HMS Plymouth", "Irishman" and "Yorkshire" on 7th May. Similar missions were also flown by XV291.

16 Hecules C.1 were converted to C.1P standard with in-flight refuelling probes. 6 conversions were completed before the Argentine surrender - XV179, XV196, XV200, XV206, XV218 and XV291. 4 of these deployed to Wideawke before the end of the war.  XV200,  which performed the first mission on 16th May, XV200, XV196 and XV218.

4 aircraft were converted to C-1K tanker aircraft, XV192 XV201, XV204 and  XV296 but none saw service until after the campaign was over.

Edited by rod mcq
spelling errors
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LaurieS said:

Were the K versions the extended fuselage ? Read there were some extended and some not. This is where it gets, for me, confusing

with contradictions.

All the the RAF's first generations were referred to by Lockheed as C-130Ks: in RAF service the original short fuselage version was the Hercules C Mk.1 and thirty were subject to the fuselage stretch to become the Hercules C Mk.3.  For operations in the South Atlantic six (of a total of sixteen) C Mk.1s were fitted with the over cockpit refuelling probe and 2 long range tanks and have sometimes been referred to as C Mk.1 PLR2.  Although both versions of the Hercules operated the "Air Bridge" between the United Kingdom and Ascension Island you will probably find that only the C Mk.1 PLR2s ventured "down South".  Neil Robinson's "Air War Over the Falkands Falklands" refers to XV200/200 being the first conversion which was flew some transport missions to the Falklands.

Reference: Encyclopedia of the Modern Royal Air Force - Terry Gander.

6 minutes ago, rod mcq said:

Hercules C.1 had the short fuselage, the conversion to C.3 standard involves increasing the fuselage length by 15 feet.

And just to confuse the unwary the second generation Hercules C Mk.4 is the long fuselage version and the C Mk.5 is its shorter cousin.

17 minutes ago, rod mcq said:

Virtually all the Hercules fleet was involved in the campaign.

At the time of the Falklands war the RAF was part way through the Hercules C.3 conversion program.  The following had been converted to C.3 standard at the time of the Argentine invasion

XV176, XV183, XV197, XV202, XV207, XV219, XV220, XV221, XV290, XV294, XV303 and XV305.

XV188 and XV301 were under conversion and and returned to RAF service on 1st April and 19th May respectively.

XV184, XV212 and XV217 remained under conversion throughout the war.

A number of aircreft were fitted with additional additonal fuel tanks inside the fuselage to extend their range. The first extended-range aircraft to be deployed was XV196 which is known to have flown a mission to drop supplies to the ships "HMS Plymouth", "Irishman" and "Yorkshire" on 7th May. Similar missions were also flown by XV291.

16 Hecules C.1 were converted to C.1P standard with in-flight refuelling probes. 6 conversions were completed before the Argentine surrender - XV179, XV196, XV200, XV206, XV218 and XV291. 4 of these deployed to Wideawke before the end of the war.  XV200,  which performed the first mission on 16th May, XV200, XV196 and XV218.

4 aircraft were converted to C-1K tanker aircraft, XV192 XV201, XV204 and  XV296 but none saw service until after the campaign was over.

Thanks Rod that is info at its best.

11 minutes ago, Rick Brown said:

C1's were short and C3's were long when I worked on them.

Rick.

Just what I needed thanks Rick.

8 minutes ago, Richard E said:

All the the RAF's first generations were referred to by Lockheed as C-130Ks: in RAF service the original short fuselage version was the Hercules C Mk.1 and thirty were subject to the fuselage stretch to become the Hercules C Mk.3.  For operations in the South Atlantic six (of a total of sixteen) C Mk.1s were fitted with the over cockpit refuelling probe and 2 long range tanks and have sometimes been referred to as C Mk.1 PLR2.  Although both versions of the Hercules operated the "Air Bridge" between the United Kingdom and Ascension Island you will probably find that only the C Mk.1 PLR2s ventured "down South".  Neil Robinson's "Air War Over the Falkands Falklands" refers to XV200/200 being the first conversion which was flew some transport missions to the Falklands.

Reference: Encyclopedia of the Modern Royal Air Force - Terry Gander.

Thanks Richard another great bit of info.

Thanks men that is just what I wanted plus learnt a lot more into the bargain. Cheers.

A satisfied Laurie :clap2:

You might also find this - long - PPrune thread interesting, although Corporate is but a small part of the content. Photobucket's dash for cash has rendered some of the photos invisible, but the trick of opening in a new tab (and then opening the photobucket non-photo in a new tab) works for most of them).

In relation to H Jones, yes - while 2 PARA was fairly relaxed about Chris Keeble continuing in command, Keeble hadn't at that point been 'picked up' for command, and it was decided that someone who had succeeded at the most recent command board should be sent down south to replace him. The options were Lt Col (now Brigadier [rtd])David Chaundler and Lt Col (now General [rtd]/Prince of Darkness the Lord Vader] Mike Jackson. Chaundler was given the job and duly parachuted in (much, it must be said, to the chagrin of a number of his men, some of whom have subsequently commented somewhat unkindly about him on the Army Rumour Service...). The fleet was extremely busy, hence, as observed above, pretty much all of them were employed. As an aside, there was an 'incident' when a crew from 24 Sqn were spotted wearing a T-shirt which said something to the effect of 'Spoil our Leave? 24 Squadron says Nuke Buenos Aries!' by a press photographer... if I recall the story correctly (which assumes that the 24 Sqn chap who told me it 20 years after the war also remembered it, and dear Nick wasn't always spot on with his memories), the photographer was a patriotic sort and didn't take any photos, but pointed out that he'd have made a fair amount of money syndicating them and this might have caused a fuss; the squadron boss/staish politely suggested that the shirts should henceforth be worn on beer calls within the wire at Lyneham and not down-route...

Edit - when I say that a crew from 24 Squadron were spotted wearing a T-shirt, I mean that they were each wearing a T-shirt bearing the same message, not that they'd all squeezed into a One Size Fits All item of clothing...

Edited by XV107
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, XV107 said:

You might also find this - long - PPrune thread interesting, although Corporate is but a small part of the content. Photobucket's dash for cash has rendered some of the photos invisible, but the trick of opening in a new tab (and then opening the photobucket non-photo in a new tab) works for most of them).

In relation to H Jones, yes - while 2 PARA was fairly relaxed about Chris Keeble continuing in command, Keeble hadn't at that point been 'picked up' for command, and it was decided that someone who had succeeded at the most recent command board should be sent down south to replace him. The options were Lt Col (now Brigadier [rtd])David Chaundler and Lt Col (now General [rtd]/Prince of Darkness the Lord Vader] Mike Jackson. Chaundler was given the job and duly parachuted in (much, it must be said, to the chagrin of a number of his men, some of whom have subsequently commented somewhat unkindly about him on the Army Rumour Service...). The fleet was extremely busy, hence, as observed above, pretty much all of them were employed. As an aside, there was an 'incident' when a crew from 24 Sqn were spotted wearing a T-shirt which said something to the effect of 'Spoil our Leave? 24 Squadron says Nuke Buenos Aries!' by a press photographer... if I recall the story correctly (which assumes that the 24 Sqn chap who told me it 20 years after the war also remembered it, and dear Nick wasn't always spot on with his memories), the photographer was a patriotic sort and didn't take any photos, but pointed out that he'd have made a fair amount of money syndicating them and this might have caused a fuss; the squadron boss/staish politely suggested that the shirts should henceforth be worn on beer calls within the wire at Lyneham and not down-route...

Thanks XV107. Memory plays tricks. I got Chaundler and Keeble mixed up.

I was at that time 44 and I watcehd and listened to all that was broadcast.

I must say I was stressed for all those down there. At that time I had not

realised until I read a number of books just what it was really like.

Being a Videographer a couple of years after I gathered all the pictures I

could get hold of. I made these into a video film of what now is the history

of the Falklands war.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

23 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Depends on which side you are talking of Killingholme. :unsure:

Argentinian actually landing yes. I know Harriers knocked down one may be two.

British. Over the Falklands but not on land. There was a difficulty here the Argentinians

were in occupation of the airport. They did not allow British C130-K's to land. Shame

on them after all we owned the airport. :lalala:

Laurie

Only one (TC-63) was shot down. It was on a recce mission to cover for the Argentine Naval Aviation's lack of spare parts for the Neptunes.

Cheers Moggy

When I worked at Marshalls of Cambridge I heard the story of the Herc IFR conversion 3 years before . The MOD asked them to do it ASAP, teams of fitters were formed, kit bought in PDQ, working 'round the clock, apparently some didn't get home, slept on site and got them done in no time and it all worked ! We had one at Brize before the war was over and a Vulcan with "Box" on the back for the IFR hose to retract into. I could see something like plywood with speed tape on it ! Less than a year before the war we used to get TC-93 Argent AF 707 at Brize quite a bit, got on it once along with Chilean Air force 707C 902

• Like 1

18 hours ago, junglierating said:

Hi in one of my 1980 airfix mags there is a conversion to c3 detailed...

and one in my shelf of doom!

Got to admire the Herc  passengers on those long flights.

Bad enough enduring the noise and discomfort but then having to jump out when you get there!

The aircrew certainly had their work cut out for them on those trips before the airfield was available.

All this talk of C.1 and C.3's will leave some wondering 'wotabout the 2?'. That was the one and only W.2

Lockheed_C-130K_Hercules_W2_(L-382),_UK_

Not much use in a 'hot' war environment.

Should have been preserved :(

Trevor

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

And of course there was the one used to deliver a surveillance radar to Chile that was seen post-war at Lyneham with mis-sepelt ' Fuerza Aerea De Chile' markings on it

Don't suppose anyone has a picture?

Trevor