Another old git joins up.

Bill.B

Hi to all, back in the day (60's & 70's) I used to assemble many of the now classic Airfix kits and I vividly remember my first solo kit, it was the Heinkel 111. Looking back it was a very adventurous first project for a 6 year old, but I built it, with many glue stains on the canopy, but I felt a huge sense of satisfaction and was only disappointed that the propellers didn't rotate. I'd obviously used too much glue, but then all kids always do. Anyway, the last kit I built (and the first time I used an airbrush) was the Revell SR-71 during 1984, and I remember being very pleased the way the series of 'new' Humbrol metal paints worked, simply paint 'em on and buff with a cloth when dry to give a fairly realistic metal finish.Parallel to building kits I taught myself to build and fly R/C planes, and was a keen club cyclist, and I still do both to this day, but having just had a knee replacement op I decided I could just sit in and read all day so I had the brilliant(?) idea of building a kit again as part of my rehab. This has necessitated the purchase of many paints, tools, other bits & bobs and of course an airbrush & compressor. This latter item came as a bargain buy from my daughter who bought it on a whim and never used it. It's only a £75 combo off eBay, but for my humble needs it'll suffice......for now. Anyhow, for a first return project I decided on the venerable Tamiya Panther Ausf.A (1/35) as it's very cheap, reasonably accurate and very easy to assemble. I'm part way through the build and if it turns out half reasonable I might post some photos for the learned and very skilled throng to have a chuckle over. 

Signing out for now,

Bill. 

• Like 3

From one old git to another, welcome aboard Bill. You've come to the right place. Don't worry about posting on here. I've never known anyone to make detrimental remarks about others work.

John.

Welcome to BM Bill. Your in good company, there are more old git's on here than you can shake a stick at. Of course I don't include myself, as I'm a spring chicken in comparison.:whistle:

I wish you a swift recovery from your op, and hope to see your work on here soon.

Welcome Bill, newer member to Britmodeler but not so new to modeling. As others have probably said we all seem to come back to modeling at some point. Im mostly aviation ww2, cold war, and now entering into the Great war aircraft. However i dabble in armor from time to time. If i can help just ask. 

Dennis

Thanks for the warm welcome, much appreciated. I've been browsing this site for a while and the standard seems very high so I'd better get back up to speed a bit sharpish, or I won't be posting any photos worth viewing!  :speechless:

Hi Bill - welcome to the site. Look forward to seeing your models

If you're doing rehab and a solid cyclist might be worth going to your local triathlon club swim session - always welcoming and likely similar motivating environment to your cycle club.

1 hour ago, Bill.B said:

Thanks for the warm welcome, much appreciated. I've been browsing this site for a while and the standard seems very high so I'd better get back up to speed a bit sharpish, or I won't be posting any photos worth viewing!  :speechless:

Hi Bill - Some of us are just here for the fun - my work is hardly 'very high standard' - but I do enjoy myself and I've learned a lot from the old gits on here - oh and from Gorby the spring chicken too :lol:

Don't be afraid to post some pictures - it took me a while to pluck up courage - but everyone is very constructive and encouraging.

I hope you have fun - Steve

• Like 1

Welcome Bill.

You may be a git Bill but not an old one. I started about 14 years ago model making and I was still

older then than you are now. Born 1938. You are getting a bit old at that birthdate. 80 next year

and still producing models.

Laurie