P47 and P51 78th Nose Cheque home printing

PhantomBigStu

Are you just doing these two or are you planning a few 78th machines? Unless you are doing multiples I would have thought it would be easier to mask and paint, sure  it takes a bit of time but less than trying to produce a decal to fit.

Or you could use some black decal sheet, or paint a clear decal sheet and cut those into squares and apply them.

17 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Are you just doing these two or are you planning a few 78th machines? Unless you are doing multiples I would have thought it would be easier to mask and paint, sure  it takes a bit of time but less than trying to produce a decal to fit.

Or you could use some black decal sheet, or paint a clear decal sheet and cut those into squares and apply them.

masking/square cutting on a 1/72 model.....thats going to work. :)

I once did a 339th FG Mustang's nose markings in 1/72 by cutting up tiny decal squares and applying them individually. Very time consuming and somewhat fiddly, but it did look good once done. Of course, it was only two rows of squares and I'm not sure I'd want to take on the entire cowling of a Thunderbolt!

All I can suggest is that maybe someone scans a decal sheet that has the nose chequers on it, and you print those on decal film. It may be worth cutting these into smaller "chunks" of squares, as it will probably be easier to get these to wrap around the cowling, rather than doing the whole thing in one go.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Ive used a drawing pen for certain details. I'll say It works however there is a catch. The ink takes days or weeks to dry since it doesn't absorb into the plastic it just sits there and depending on humidity can take quite some time to dry. Dont try to use a hair dryer as all it does is create nice long oily black streaks ask me how i know that😡 Lol). If you try to put a clear coat or paint over it it just runs or smears ( ask me how i know that little gem 😡). I still use it to pick some panel lines, vents, other small things like that. I just wait till the clear is on and use it. Then shelve the kit for a month or two until i can clear coat it.  I even used it on tiger shark teeth outlines for a plane worked like a charm. A few days later went to do something else and wound up wearing half a sharksmouth on my palm 😭. Lesson is it works but be prepared to shelve the kit for some time until its dry. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Added

12 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

All I can suggest is that maybe someone scans a decal sheet that has the nose chequers on it, and you print those on decal film. It may be worth cutting these into smaller "chunks" of squares, as it will probably be easier to get these to wrap around the cowling, rather than doing the whole thing in one go.

Cheers,

Mark.

I can supply scans ( well good quality   pictures) of the checkers for the Tamiya P-47 and P-51 if you need them Stu.

19 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

masking/square cutting on a 1/72 model.....thats going to work. :)

Actually it'll work pretty well, and the end results will look far better than any decal would. You just need to get yourself some of this tape,

https://www.umpretail.com/collections/painting

Choose a suitable width and cut the tape into squares, paint the white apply the tape squares and paint black.

Obviously it's going to take some effort but will be worth it.

• Like 1