XV574 '2nd Special livery' help required

Ben Hartmann

On 05/08/2017 at 22:41, Blacktjet said:

One point of note on the full black spine version, the demarcation between the grey and black, below the two cockpits is different on the left to that on the right

You mean it's more or less straight on the starboard side as opposed to the 'jagged' line aft of the rear canopy on the port side? I think I know what you mean. Feel free to correct me.

Best Regards

Ben

If you look close at photos, the demarcation on the left side has a downward kink while the right side has an upward kink. The modeldecal instructions don't show this and I have seen a few models with both sides painted identical. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Blacktjet said:

If you look close at photos, the demarcation on the left side has a downward kink while the right side has an upward kink. The modeldecal instructions don't show this and I have seen a few models with both sides painted identical. 

Starboard side is almost straight

Best Rgds

Ben

j5UTgtC.jpg

I have also been working closely with Ian Black to try and figure out the pilots names on the canopy for this livery....here are the tie-ups so far....if anybody else has anything to add, then please feel free:-

1984 Camo - Hanlon & Morrison

1985 Special Livery #1 - Morrison & Cowieson

1986 Special Livery #3 - Roser & King

1988-1989 Special Livery #3 - None (up to IAT Fairford)

1989 Special Livery #3 - Hanlon & Blackford

Rgds

Ben

Edited by Ben Hartmann

Just now, Antti_K said:

Hello Ben!

Patrick Martin's book "British Phantoms, part two" has three photos of XV574 in special livery. It looks like the artist who made the picture you added to your post, used some "artistic freedom". None of the photos matches that paint scheme.

Best Regards,

Antti

0BZlq.jpg

Hello Ben!

There is no photos of this paint scheme in "British Phantoms". So it looks like that the artist was actually doing a pretty accurate job (I wish they all would do that...). My mistake.

Thank you for sharing this interesting photo. It gives also a very good sight on the fuselage shape.

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 1