XV574 '2nd Special livery' help required

Ben Hartmann

Hello all,

I really need your help in tracking down an image. As most will know, Phantom FG.1 XV574 of 111 Sqn appeared in two special liveries after it lost its standard RAF Camouflage. The first being the version with the half black spine and black serial number as per the Xtradecal sheet currently available, the other version being the one with the full black spine, and yellow serial number as per the Hasegawa FG.1 boxing in 1/48th. 

Now when I was in my early teens, I vividly recall seeing the said Phantom in a book I borrowed from the library called "Fighters Of The World" or something to that effect, in what appeared to be a mix up of these two liveries, flying low over the North Sea, appearing to be firing blanks from the Vulcan gun pod. I recall seeing the said image again in a part work called 'World Aircraft Information Files' but never again since. Google is drawing blanks apart from the image I've found down below at The Aviation Picture Hangar. But nothing else.

can someone confirm that I'm not completely mad?

Best Regards

Ben 

UIbDD61.jpg

I vaguely recall a similar photo from somewhere, but just a quick query:

When you say the first scheme, you presumably mean the one this link?

And the second scheme would be this one?

I'm just a bit puzzled as to what you mean as a mix of the two? Sorry for being dense.

Hello Ben!

Patrick Martin's book "British Phantoms, part two" has three photos of XV574 in special livery. It looks like the artist who made the picture you added to your post, used some "artistic freedom". None of the photos matches that paint scheme.

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

7 hours ago, XV107 said:

I vaguely recall a similar photo from somewhere, but just a quick query:

When you say the first scheme, you presumably mean the one this link?

And the second scheme would be this one?

I'm just a bit puzzled as to what you mean as a mix of the two? Sorry for being dense.

Yes this is correct. The black spine of the second livery and the tail of the first one. I've literally only ever seen one photo of it. 

Best Regards

Ben

Ah, with you now: before the extension of the yellow up toward the RWR and the fin flash surmounting the yellow.

Rendered in graphic form here (obviously not a real live photo), I'm supposing. I have to admit that I'd never really noticed the change in the fin scheme between the two...

8 minutes ago, XV107 said:

Ah, with you now: before the extension of the yellow up toward the RWR and the fin flash surmounting the yellow.

Rendered in graphic form here (obviously not a real live photo), I'm supposing. I have to admit that I'd never really noticed the change in the fin scheme between the two...

Yes that is a repaint I did for flight simulator years ago....but having no access to the image I stuck the 'Z' code in the wrong place. 

You wont find it on google, I've only seen it appear in print. 

Thanks for looking though

I have found a picture of this aircraft in this scheme flying with two other Phantoms of the same Sqn whilst at APC in Akrotiri in a book called "Todays RAF in Colour", which was published in 1987.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Yes that is a repaint I did for flight simulator years ago....but having no access to the image I stuck the 'Z' code in the wrong place. 

You wont find it on google, I've only seen it appear in print. 

Thanks for looking though

No problem; not trying to google it, simply narrowing down what to look for when I get the chance to find and go through random stuff from about 30 years ago...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jabba said:

I have found a picture of this aircraft in this scheme flying with two other Phantoms of the same Sqn whilst at APC in Akrotiri in a book called "Todays RAF in Colour", which was published in 1987.

Just purchased a copy....I hope you're correct!! :doh:

9 minutes ago, XV107 said:

No problem; not trying to google it, simply narrowing down what to look for when I get the chance to find and go through random stuff from about 30 years ago...

No worries, I do very much appreciate all of your help! 

Best Regards

Ben

19 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Ben!

Patrick Martin's book "British Phantoms, part two" has three photos of XV574 in special livery. It looks like the artist who made the picture you added to your post, used some "artistic freedom". None of the photos matches that paint scheme.

Best Regards,

Antti

As we've now found out, Modeldecal sheet number 090 mentions that during early '86 it appeared in a halfway scheme between the two liveries. 

• Like 2

There is also another photo in that book with the ground crew sitting along the spine of the aircraft on top of a banner, but the deeper spine scheme can be seen through it and the tail markings are clearly shown. I also had a look on my model shelf last night after shutting down my computer, and low and behold I had made the hasegawa kit in this scheme. I think when I made it I used the pictures in the book I have mentioned to confirm the scheme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

There is also another photo in that book with the ground crew sitting along the spine of the aircraft on top of a banner, but the deeper spine scheme can be seen through it and the tail markings are clearly shown. I also had a look on my model shelf last night after shutting down my computer, and low and behold I had made the hasegawa kit in this scheme. I think when I made it I used the pictures in the book I have mentioned to confirm the scheme.

Thats awesome, do you have any pics of it? Yes I've ordered the book so hopefully I'll get to have a look. It was only a quid on Fleabay. Bargain!

Best Regards

11 hours ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Thats awesome, do you have any pics of it? Yes I've ordered the book so hopefully I'll get to have a look. It was only a quid on Fleabay. Bargain!

Best Regards

At the moment I do not have any pictures of this model, I can get some done but it may take a day or two as it is covered in dust at the moment and would need a clean.

56 minutes ago, Jabba said:

At the moment I do not have any pictures of this model, I can get some done but it may take a day or two as it is covered in dust at the moment and would need a clean.

No pressure whatsoever, I was hoping there might of been a build thread on here.

Best Regards

Ben

No build thread but may have been in the RFI section. But I was using photobucket to put my pictures onto this web site, which of cause will not be shown. I will get some done soon.

• Thanks 1

On 30/07/2017 at 16:53, Jabba said:

Recieved the book today. Yep it's in there!!! Thank you!!