Sepecat Jaguar GR1 double build Revell/Airfix 1/48

On 19/02/2023 at 01:34, Phone Phixer said:

Looking good. It's going to need some serious weathering to re-create the end of conflict state.

The brake chute "noddy cap" needs painting black. Many had bare metal repair patches on them.

spacer.png

It's in the list of things to do!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 1

Good evening mates,

What shown in my last posts was referring to last week’s work. Now something more recent.

Yesterday I decided to concentrate on the Sidewinders and GB 87 bombs. As explained earlier in the build, These war loads come from an F-16 B by Kinetic , together wit many other bombs, missiles and pods.

Usual treatment : black primer, white mottling, followed by a coat of diluted base colors, then a coat of Future, ready for decaling.

y4GZ9AG.jpg

rGRwYbK.jpg

x9br0uR.jpg

Decals are on a dedicated sheet, really beautiful!!!

KaPXhU3.jpg

Ub96wiu.jpg

Another coat of Future  to seal the decals, followed by a black wash for the sidewinders and a zinc chrome one for the bombs, to contrast the green.

5C8tG3C.jpg

QZ4xTxM.jpg

Ready tpo be fitted.

CELl9AZ.jpg

To fit them, I drilled some holes in the pylons and glued some pieces of plastic rod to be used as locator pins.

r293ZPH.jpg

iKwVqxW.jpg

And finally they got into place.

bvCWu0R.jpg

qpEN4gL.jpg

HF6Eqz9.jpg

8GtJqst.jpg

Z8c5roj.jpg

2z0xne5.jpg

01yoRDC.jpg

tujHr3F.jpg

2Fp3KMT.jpg

Xr3Dswx.jpg

t3EPbSl.jpg

8hatcJs.jpg

PHlJU1w.jpg                 

6cxausC.jpg

nY7O7eo.jpg

Q8NcwPJ.jpg

Ud0Oxsi.jpg

kiWscdA.jpg

aGbAH4O.jpg

CbwCD8F.jpg

CiFvdPh.jpg

7jMxULD.jpg

PHlJU1w.jpg

That was last night and I went to bed quite happy!

This morning I had to chose from different options , but having already had the wheels’ bays’ doors around for a few years, I thought it was time to see them where they are meant to be, so with the help fo superglue , a toothpick and the liquid glue Tamiya green cap, I started with the upper front ones. I used a paper cushion at their back to hold them at the right height.

mGXYyUi.jpg

Then, one by one, I added the other ones.

GGfysdq.jpg

eYIe0rz.jpg

2Mv93uN.jpg

6Y0fZT2.jpg

fSTv1H4.jpg

CCdc18K.jpg

YVhl7V2.jpg

TE8iTpv.jpg

0WYnyw4.jpg

k9CJODF.jpg

hS0bfrB.jpg

IT9yuxl.jpg

G6g5JpU.jpg

7izYjfG.jpg

8EyhWud.jpg    

9OeOtMl.jpg

7cUwyeZ.jpg

Shes starting looking the part!

Still remaining to be taken care off:

Main landing gears, front wheel and doors, doors’ actuators, engines’ nozzles, navigation lights and various antennas….and the base but for today that’s it!

Thanks for watching and good night!!!

Massimo

• Like 18

Fantastic work and a great recovery from that varnish problem.

I've tagged you on a Jaguar thread in the cold war section. It's a video from Julian that shows the undercarriage retraction sequence and how the legs twist and fold. "Good luck"!!

It's all probably too late for you as you have decaled and fitted the weapons. Hopefully, it's just the flash wiping out the colour of the Sidewinders. But, AIM-9L winders were Light Ghost Grey FS 36375 on the body and wings. Not white.

Those CBU 87's have stencils on saying "do not fly" on your model in flight! (Ignore me, just being pedantic)!

Loving how this is looking now.

Rob.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Massimo said:

Good evening mates,

What shown in my last posts was referring to last week’s work. Now something more recent.

Yesterday I decided to concentrate on the Sidewinders and GB 87 bombs. As explained earlier in the build, These war loads come from an F-16 B by Kinetic , together wit many other bombs, missiles and pods.

Usual treatment : black primer, white mottling, followed by a coat of diluted base colors, then a coat of Future, ready for decaling.

y4GZ9AG.jpg

rGRwYbK.jpg

x9br0uR.jpg

Decals are on a dedicated sheet, really beautiful!!!

KaPXhU3.jpg

Ub96wiu.jpg

Another coat of Future  to seal the decals, followed by a black wash for the sidewinders and a zinc chrome one for the bombs, to contrast the green.

5C8tG3C.jpg

QZ4xTxM.jpg

Ready tpo be fitted.

CELl9AZ.jpg

To fit them, I drilled some holes in the pylons and glued some pieces of plastic rod to be used as locator pins.

r293ZPH.jpg

iKwVqxW.jpg

And finally they got into place.

bvCWu0R.jpg

qpEN4gL.jpg

HF6Eqz9.jpg

8GtJqst.jpg

Z8c5roj.jpg

2z0xne5.jpg

01yoRDC.jpg

tujHr3F.jpg

2Fp3KMT.jpg

Xr3Dswx.jpg

t3EPbSl.jpg

8hatcJs.jpg

PHlJU1w.jpg                 

6cxausC.jpg

nY7O7eo.jpg

Q8NcwPJ.jpg

Ud0Oxsi.jpg

kiWscdA.jpg

aGbAH4O.jpg

CbwCD8F.jpg

CiFvdPh.jpg

7jMxULD.jpg

PHlJU1w.jpg

That was last night and I went to bed quite happy!

This morning I had to chose from different options , but having already had the wheels’ bays’ doors around for a few years, I thought it was time to see them where they are meant to be, so with the help fo superglue , a toothpick and the liquid glue Tamiya green cap, I started with the upper front ones. I used a paper cushion at their back to hold them at the right height.

mGXYyUi.jpg

Then, one by one, I added the other ones.

GGfysdq.jpg

eYIe0rz.jpg

2Mv93uN.jpg

6Y0fZT2.jpg

fSTv1H4.jpg

CCdc18K.jpg

YVhl7V2.jpg

TE8iTpv.jpg

0WYnyw4.jpg

k9CJODF.jpg

hS0bfrB.jpg

IT9yuxl.jpg

G6g5JpU.jpg

7izYjfG.jpg

8EyhWud.jpg    

9OeOtMl.jpg

7cUwyeZ.jpg

Shes starting looking the part!

Still remaining to be taken care off:

Main landing gears, front wheel and doors, doors’ actuators, engines’ nozzles, navigation lights and various antennas….and the base but for today that’s it!

Thanks for watching and good night!!!

Massimo

Quiz of the day:

Does anybody who saw your work on these  Jaguar MLG bays DOEs NOT compared they to the Aires resin sets  ?

GGfysdq.jpg

SouthViper from Brazil 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Super save in extra time! It's going to be a very dynamic presentation.

I bought a can of Humbrol Matt varnish that I've never used because right after I bought it someone posted that it was prone to frosting. After four years of storage in an unheated garage I should probably chuck it out!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I bought a can of Humbrol Matt varnish that I've never used because right after I bought it someone posted that it was prone to frosting. After four years of storage in an unheated garage I should probably chuck it out!

I have some which also should go. Tried it ages ago, not great.

Best matt finishes I've found are Winsor & Newton, either Galleria (very matt) or Matt UV Varnish (matt/satin).

• Like 1

Thank you all for the nice words and likes!

On 26/02/2023 at 20:51, Phone Phixer said:

It's all probably too late for you as you have decaled and fitted the weapons. Hopefully, it's just the flash wiping out the colour of the Sidewinders. But, AIM-9L winders were Light Ghost Grey FS 36375 on the body and wings. Not white.

Those CBU 87's have stencils on saying "do not fly" on your model in flight! (Ignore me, just being pedantic)!

Loving how this is looking now.

Rob.

About the Sidewinders, online I found two options: one Light Ghost grey and white.

I wanted to replicate the war loads shown in the picture below, which has a blueish dominant and thus I thought the colour was white. I may be able to correct that or replace them,as I've got some more.

a2DHe9i.jpg

About the GBU 87s' stencils...I applied the decals supplied with the bombs, but I have no idea if they're correct or not. For sure "do not fly" sounds a bit strange for something to be attached to an aircraft wing...so I don't know if it's correct or not...

By the way I'm waiting to collect some bombs I had already ordered by Eduard Brassin, thus the existing ones may be replaced.

About the landing gears, thanks a lot for the link to the video showing the openiong and closing sequence on a Jaguar. Very helpful.

The gear rotation problem is something I had already faced at the beginning of ther build.

To try different angles, I made a U-shaped flange with two holes to house the main gear's fulcrum shaft on the legs' triangular base, which is free to rotate back and forward.

SN38KkY.jpg

FEbdWRM.jpg

TBhQPlV.jpg

zYXWyPa.jpg

At the back of the flange, I fitted a piece of plastic rod , so the full system can rotate in or out. I drilled a hole in the well's back wall to house the pin. These two components allow me to rotate the main legs and find the correct angle (...or at least the best I can achieve!!!)

DS8eSVQ.jpg

LnNxicA.jpg

pPLE0OJ.jpg

Cv8Om0O.jpg

7AQEhL6.jpg

This is it for a while as in a few days I'll travel to the US, so I'll have time to think and arrange future interventions.

Thanks for watching!!!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 8

• 10 months later...
Posted (edited)

Hallo all and Happy New Year!

After a loooooong time away from the working bench, over the last few months I found some time to spend on this project which has been put aside for too long...if you look to page one you'll see it's dated 2017!!!

The Desert Storm Jag is finished, but I haven't had a chance to take some decent pictures with a proper background. I've opted for an oval smaller base dark oak as I think it's a good contrast with desert pink and I want the attention to be  focused on the kit.Here below a few pics of the last documented additions,

WTgNRA6.jpg

N8qKpMY.jpg

Starting with the eshausts I still  haven't seen any realistic solution to simulate the AB, thus I thought just to paint the inside to replicate the orange-blue colour ... it won't be seen and I'll live with that!

GDctDiB.jpg

fmI0LE4.jpg

13KMbmQ.jpg

QpJp22S.jpg

Next I worked on the main gears' and doors' actuators and front doors for both kits.

53V4PTj.jpg

ScqEl1D.jpg

HccNVmm.jpg

dVmBSU4.jpg

The second main leg was modified to match the first one , hydrauling tubing was added , then they were painted , together with their wheels and pre-assembled.

cZbCibI.jpg

1aV1ZnY.jpg

4rEsmJf.jpg

6f9rdsb.jpg

402qLjC.jpg

wKGVlbD.jpg

Same treatment for the front leg, which was then fitted to the kit.

This is the last picture and shows the front leg with a different angle fro the one I chose at the end, as based on the pictures I've seen, there was quite an important offset between the closing time of the front one compared to the main legs, thius I decided to re- position it nearly closed, but this will be shown in my next update.

Ciao 

Massimo

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 13

Great to see you back at the bench, Massimo! :thumbsup:

Usual excellent detail job here! :worthy:

Happy New Year to you too!

Ciao 

• Thanks 1

Welcome back Massimo, Happy New Year!

The time away obviously hasn't adversely affected your skills!

Ian

• Thanks 1

Good evening mates,

after finishing “Sadman” I considered several options among my projects on hold, but decided the logical choice for the next one to carry on with was the second Jaguar, as I had just refreshed my memory on the subject. I still wasn’t sure about the markings and at the end decided for a 41st Sq. aircraft in Nato wrap around scheme. I glued the windscreen to the fuselage and filled the gaps with CA glue, then sanded the junction, masked it the cockpit and all the open bays, before getting ready for the painting session. It’s been ages since I used my airbrush and every time I feel nervous about it!

1LMIbjN.jpg

eOU34Ys.jpg

S8rvJsd.jpg

aUsxGun.jpg

I started by priming the model with Gunze black.

p4PAas0.jpg

cWAGJ2I.jpg

vqoNQsr.jpg

I did some pre-shading with White  first…

TmEZHHD.jpg

cZAbrQj.jpg

hWThQjU.jpg

…then with zink chromate, to give a little variation to the camouflage.

ajtwUx0.jpg

cFfXxOe.jpg

RbLkOAx.jpg

RAF dark grey was sprayed first…

TFs34wW.jpg

EPjbe3y.jpg

GMJu07A.jpg

gTPngS7.jpg

…followed by RAF dark green. Both colours were by Tamiya, sprayed free hand.

Bu4IpLk.jpg

IkVLa59.jpg

lEoz6Yd.jpg

NInZBap.jpg

J89AmLs.jpg

The anti glare area In front of the cockpit and the wings and elevators’ leading edges were masked and sprayed black and followed by a coat of Future, to blend the camouflage and black areas, getting ready for decalling.

Z1VhyYw.jpg

dBAaKCs.jpg

chPHgmR.jpg

hjIEh8E.jpg

s2jNLYq.jpg

TYsw8VJ.jpg

v5Y3jgw.jpg

qmnYwMn.jpg

TjLQvQN.jpg

LwNpV1u.jpg

qHCjfb9.jpg

Decals were next. Among all the decals I had, with at least three exemples by different manufacturers, I chose the Airfix ones because their dimensions were the most accurate compared to the pictures I came up with. Stencils were a mix of Airfix, Revell and Xtradecals.

wZRrw8U.jpg

cCJsEBk.jpg

Once the Future was dry, I highlighted the panel lines with brown Tamiya accent line liquid.

lX9UqNj.jpg

iGx8K3A.jpg

QKe3Htl.jpg

F9tdymR.jpg

8mpHQLC.jpg

T1eY7Xd.jpg

G0UTi4K.jpg

aKC8QES.jpg

7Q3r4l1.jpg

ULWnWtH.jpg

6dKl8Ff.jpg

ysvxOYy.jpg

tAJkX65.jpg

Rvi5xiU.jpg

ky6rlWB.jpg

SbybqcB.jpg

E6XFMYU.jpg

jJKNVT4.jpg

After having sealed the decals with another coat of Future, I sprayed a coat of Xtracrilix matt varnish, diluted with Xtracrilix thinner. I’m quite satisfied by the way the pre-shading is visible through the camouflage, even if the look of the aircraft is a bit immaculate. Weathering will follow, but in the meantime, I’ll have to think how to increase a little the contrast between the two colours without deleting some of the stencils.

rUOnCiQ.jpg

9hml7YX.jpg

kpFRdFi.jpg

J9p24NH.jpg

ascTX47.jpg

oXziWbc.jpg

The last day I spent at home (New Year’s Day), I spent some time painting the wing tanks and Recce POD. To increase a little the contrast with the Jaguar, I darkened the dark green and lightened a little the dark grey. I want the level of weathering of these components to be higher than on the aircraft.  

This is it for now!

I’m actually in the USA and won’t be back until next Friday.

Best regards

Massimo

• Like 15