Sepecat Jaguar GR1 double build Revell/Airfix 1/48

9 hours ago, Jonny said:

Why can't I "like" this or any other post?.....

I'm sure I could yesterday or before!!!

Jonny

You're right!Something gas change.Noè I can and there are different options!

Well some Staff!:yes:

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Selwyn said:

You are aware that the kit seat headbox is far more accurate in shape than the one on pavla seat?  The pavla seat depicts the confuguration seen on the GR3 Jaguar not the GR1. Look at the seat pictures in the walkround linked in this thread.

Selwyn

Hi Selwin,

I bought the Pavia Seat before starting this project and I realized  later that two types of seats were fitted to the Jags.

So to the  Gulf War Aircraft the old one was fitted, correct? 

3 hours ago, massimo said:

I had noticed there were two types of seat, but I wasn't sure when they switched to the new one. After considering the different alternatives, I've decided for a Gulf Was exemple , as I want it fully armed with Sidewinders fitted to the overwings pylons.

Absolutely beautiful work Massimo; she's going to look magnificent whatever example you build her as.

FYI - and feel free to ignore this as it's really rivet counting stuff :whistle: 

The Airwaves etch cockpit set is for the GR1 as it has the original NAVWASS inertial navigation panels rather than those of the FIN1064 fitted in the upgrade to GR1a in the mid 80's.  No Gulf war jet was a GR1.

The GR1a was on the UK squadrons by 1985 - at which time there was a mixture of GR1s and GR1a's used in parallel.

The later Mk9 seats with the new head box were fitted in the late 80's - I can't remember exactly when, as they appeared gradually and again were used in parallel with the older head boxes; but I know they were fitted in 1989 and they may have started appearing a year or two earlier.

I don't think that any GR1s in squadron use would have had seats with the new head boxes.

The most visible difference between the GR1 NAVWASS cockpit and the GR1a FIN1064 cockpit is the larger and more prominent FIN1064 data entry pad on the left coaming.  The Airwaves etch panel you've used is a NAVWASS era piece of kit (only 7 buttons) whereas the FIN 1064 panel was larger, curved and had more buttons, a rotary knob and a display to show the lat/long etc. as it was entered.   See what I mean in this link:  https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/full_size_0314/1471523-large.jpg - (nb this is just to show the FIN1064 pad - don't take this cockpit as otherwise representative of a later GR1a/Gulf war avionics fit).

FIN1064 was much more user-friendly, much more accurate, much more stable and altogether a dream to use.  

If you plan a GR1a/Gulf war jet practically no-one will know, notice or care about the small difference :) - but it would be easy enough for a man of your skills to scratch a FIN1064 panel.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steve,

I started this project with the intention of representing the red tailed  41 Sq. special , but going on this one didn't convince me anymore and I started looking for another one.I wanted it with the overwing P ylons and so Idecided to opt for  a Gulf War aircraft.Unfortunately I gas no knowledge of the differencies among different variante, expecially those related to different instruments, so your info is VERY WELCOMED,ad well ss any  other you'll give me in the future.

At the moment I have already pointer the interior and it all looks very...black, even considerino the canopy 'll VE closed, but I'll have a good look at the picture and dee what I can do!

Thanks again for your precipuo support!!!

1 hour ago, massimo said:

any  other you'll give me in the future.

My pleasure massimo - you're doing the old girl full justice :) As for help in the future -  you'll find that 12jaguar, phone phixer, Selywn (and anyone else who worked on jags as opposed to playing with em like me..) will know a sight more modelling useful stuff about her than I do. I'll be picking their brains if and when I get around to building one.......

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is going to be very interesting :popcorn::popcorn: 

Great progress so far, Massimo. Great attention to detail, and I think you have the best advisors possible around here - so no pressure at all :frantic:  :D:D 

Time  to do the front panel cover...( pplease somebody tell me what's its name, I dont remember...!!!)

You mean the coaming? HTH

Ciao

• Thanks 1

On 01/08/2017 at 18:30, Mike said:

It's nice to see someone grabbing an old kit and bringing it up to modern standards.  Very nice work :clap2:

Hi Mike,

I think this is a bit my story as a modeller and it's probably related to my age.

When I was younger , I remember reading on magazines how good modellers had to struggle to get a good result, often mixing parts from different models.

Some of my friends often ask me why I spend time and energies trying to improve old models, but this is what I like...

I don't like a model that hasn't got fin and ailerons slightly angled.So this is my minimum intervention as a must.

Nowadays  out there  you get any sort of resin and aftermarket. They're really good and expecially cockpits can't be realized by scratch to the same level of precision.

But I don't get the same excitement grinding a fuselage down to nothing  to get a piece of resin in, just to discover at the end that anyway the resin set isn't accurate for the version I'm reproducing!!!

In the next updates I'll tell about the other Jag I got from a friend , together with different resin sets for it.

I started working on this Jag  to bring it to the same level of the first one an then to go on in parallel with both.

As for the first one I had decided to do most things by scratch, on this one I decided to fill it with as much resin as I could, to compare achievement and fun generated by two different "modus operandi".

I have to tell, up to now I'm enjoying both, but my favourite is the first one. I prefer creating than assembling!!!

Anyway, while I'm here, I'll go on with my tale, as it starts getting confusing!!!

As I said, I friend of mine had started an Airfix Jaguar, but had abandoned the project in favour of a Kitty Hawk one.He did a wonderful job with his new model, a 41 Sq. wrap around exemple and was left with the old Airfix on his stash, together with several sets for it. We found a good deal and all the stuff was mine!!!

I got the Airfix model, several decals sheets, a set of metal landing gears, resin flaps, wheels, exhausts, a Neomega cockpit and another one of a different brand I don't know already painted.

uKOAphB.jpg

5lyEYAW.jpg

n2yVBQ4.jpg

MwTN5kL.jpg

LEhttgs.jpg

YvTMc6y.jpg

8CVFP14.jpg

To all this stuff, I added the electronic bay, cannon bays and  airbrakes by Aires (those I'm not going to fit to the first model), Master pitot and Quickboost intakes...is that enough???

5MzRJ5N.jpg

I started working on this one to try to get to the ame point as the first one.First of all I did the same cuts for the airbrakes and landing gears' bays on the fuselage halves, then I  made the wheel bays' structure with plastic card and the housings forthe airbrakes bays.The first picture is just to compare where I sarted from and I wanted to get,

Then I concentrated on the cockpit.

HFr2gIn.jpg

KUZ9ksG.jpg

d3cQ5t2.jpg

IiJVoVC.jpg

Y3Su3it.jpg

Eu6nbJs.jpg

82nnUee.jpg

82nnUee.jpg

First I removed the bulkhead, then I glued the side consolles and the plastic bits to let Neomega set fit to the fuslage halves.  The last two pictures show the comparaison between the two offices. Now I can say I'm starting thinking double!!!

PwOZ3Uq.jpg

Next door I had rimproved ed the dorsal intake  and added  the intakes ducts , made of plasticard. 

CKovVuz.jpg

I also bought this guy, as if you want an aircraft to take off...somebody's got to handle it!!!

As I said this was the beginning of a bad time, because now I had stuff to build any Jaguar I wanted to, but...I've never been very good at taking decisions...

You know...if you have a watch , you know what time it is, but if you've got two...you're never sure about it!!!

So, up to now , I still haven't decided which one it's gonna be!!!

:swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:

Edited by Massimo
removed double picture
  • Like 7

Your work and skill will produce great looking Jaguars whatever way you go about it, Massimo.

Like Fritag says, the information we can give you can get really into "rivet counting" territory Some details will not be seen at this scale, so feel free to ignore something. It's your model after all.

I worked on the Jags from 1996 to 2004 and have experience of late GR1a, GR3 & GR3a. (Not forgetting the T-Birds).

The Jag went through so many updates and modifications, it can be a real nightmare putting the correct bits together.

Feel free to ask for any information to help your builds.

I wrestled through the KittyHawk version, with the Neomega cockpit, Aries U/C bays, gun bays and speed brakes.

Watch out for major fit issues and wrong shaped wing leading edges, slats and pylons in that kit.

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/08/2017 at 02:26, Phone Phixer said:

Your work and skill will produce great looking Jaguars whatever way you go about it, Massimo.

Like Fritag says, the information we can give you can get really into "rivet counting" territory Some details will not be seen at this scale, so feel free to ignore something. It's your model after all.

I worked on the Jags from 1996 to 2004 and have experience of late GR1a, GR3 & GR3a. (Not forgetting the T-Birds).

The Jag went through so many updates and modifications, it can be a real nightmare putting the correct bits together.

Feel free to ask for any information to help your builds.

I wrestled through the KittyHawk version, with the Neomega cockpit, Aries U/C bays, gun bays and speed brakes.

Watch out for major fit issues and wrong shaped wing leading edges, slats and pylons in that kit.

Rob.

Thanks very much! I'm sure I'll have questions and you'll be of great help!

offmbQX.jpg

I already had a go with the wings of the first Jag. I cut very carefully all slats, flaps , and alierons and.....

ftL2FxO.jpg

...TADAAAAAA!!!!!!:tmi::lol::selfie:

Well done!!!...eehhmm....I'll think about it later!!!

Anyway the resin flaps aren't hat good and I'll probably use them on the first mode, as they aren't fully out.

To resume a bit my intentions, at the moment I've chosen a Gulf war camouflage for the first one taking off anf the second one will be on the ground with flaps down, open bays and I'm struggling to chose among the 41 SQ red tailed special, a Nato dark green and grey 54 SQ or a winter camouflaged 54 SQ.

I'll see, otherwise...I'll look for a third Jag!!!

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 3

Hi mates,

As I anticipated, the time to come was full of thinking and revising previous ideas.

It all started when I started working on Jag 1 canopy detail.

eR6v651.jpg

HPi3wOW.jpg

gwjRWtJ.jpg

s10THSv.jpg

EB70c9G.jpg

First I checked and adapted it to the fuselage...

pwfXoV6.jpg

... I marked its back shape on a piece of plastic card.

cp9X2Dt.jpg

LyGf7in.jpg

I glued small pieces of plastic profile to it , then I glued it to the canopy.

e6Ko1N1.jpg

JQmDLpo.jpg

uXIbBTf.jpg

gP7PT08.jpg

4l0h7NB.jpg

I liked the more detailed canopy, but then I realized this detali was alredy moulded to the Neomega set's bulkhead.

So now I had : 1) a freshly detailed canopy, originally assigned to Jag 1( the one with PE cockpit) waiting to be re-assigned.

2) a Pavla cockpit for a Jaguar to be represented on the ground with the canopy OPEN but with the canopy's detail engraved in the bulkhead.

The problem was the Neomega cockpit is intended to be fitted with the canopy CLOSED and I had assigned it to a Jag to be represented with the canopy OPEN.

So I took a drastic decision:

1) I would have used the Neomega Bulkhead's top half, fitted to the scratch built cockpit and the second canopy, closed and with no added detail.

EB70c9G.jpg

The pilot was adapted to his new office.

RSOdoUJ.jpg

z6ixoGZ.jpg

YKF1wFZ.jpg

qLZXyG3.jpg

RSOdoUJ.jpg

2) I would have fitted the unidentified resin cockpit to the second aircraft together with the detailed canopy in the open position. The Pavla instrument panel and side consolles were kept.

These pictures show the dry fitted new cockpit in place.It fits really well with the Neomega other parts.

That's all for now.

Hope the reader got the taste of this very painful decision. 

That'sall for now!

See you soon!!!

Edited by Massimo
revised text
  • Like 16

38 minutes ago, massimo said:

Hope the reader got the taste of this very painful decision.

Painful but smart! :worthy:  :clap: Nice going!

Ciao

• Haha 1

Your Jaguars are looking great. I really enjoyed building mine which is in need of repair after taking to model shows over the years and is in need of restoration.

Look forward to seeing further progress,

Mark

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FZ6 said:

Your Jaguars are looking great. I really enjoyed building mine which is in need of repair after taking to model shows over the years and is in need of restoration.

Look forward to seeing further progress,

Mark

Thanks everybody!

Mark, is there a link where I can see your Jaguar?

I'm new and still not very familiar with this site.I'm trying to surf it as much as I can, but there's loads of stuff!!!

Thank you!

• Like 1

I am now wishing I had seen a thread like this before making my gr3, but I feel a gr1 in wrap around camo will come one day.  Will then be using your inside wheel well piping and cockpit ideas when it happens

• Like 1

15 hours ago, massimo said:

Thanks everybody!

Mark, is there a link where I can see your Jaguar?

I'm new and still not very familiar with this site.I'm trying to surf it as much as I can, but there's loads of stuff!!!

Thank you!

Hi Massimo,

Thanks for your interest in my Jaguar. The pictures were on Photobucket and I deleted my account so have uploaded the photos to Flickr just for you. Hope you find it of interest.

Regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

On 02/08/2017 at 5:36 AM, massimo said:

To resume a bit my intentions, at the moment I've chosen a Gulf war camouflage for the first one taking off anf the second one will be on the ground with flaps down, open bays and I'm struggling to chose among the 41 SQ red tailed special, a Nato dark green and grey 54 SQ or a winter camouflaged 54 SQ.

On 02/08/2017 at 9:31 PM, massimo said:

Now, I know the seat is wrong for the purpose, so I'll have to modify it with the adoption of the old style headrest or replace it with the kit one detailed from scratch.

If I've kept up - the Gulf war jet is the one taking off isn't it?  In which case the later head box is correct and you don't need to modify it for the old style head box.

Don't forget the flaps would be down but (only 1/2 down) for take off :)

As to the one with the resin cockpit and the open canopy.  That resin coaming looks more like the older GR1 than a GR1a as well (sorry) - but actually I like you're scratch built effort better anyway :D Oh - and a GR1 would have the old style head box.  

Like the intake trunking too.  And everything else you're doing come to think of it.........

I don't have a kit 'stash' as such - but I have got a couple of the Airfix 1/48 Jags somewhere in the attic just in case.........I think I'll save this thread for a rainy day like...........

• Like 4

I've just had a most pleasurable time catching up on your work here Massimo. Some incredibly sensitive detailing work that reminds me why Italian craftsmen have been responsible for building so many fine opera houses around the world.

These Jags are an aria in plastic! :thumbsup:

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

After trying all last week to update this WIP without success,I tried to load my pictures on a new host , as the old one wasn't responding anymore...

so here I am now with the last update, which shows where I am now with this double build.

Desert Storm Revell GR1

First I made the engines' front fans...well...I didn't bother to replicate any fin, as the model should be taking off, thus the engines are supposed to be turning!

Ykyzqty.jpg

Once painted them black and dry brushed silver, I glued them at the intake ducts' end.The ducts' interior had been previously painted black and oversprayed with very diluted zink chromate yellow.I've seen some pictures that show a sort of carbon fiber-kevlar- fiberglass..material which colour was similar to this.

Anyway, once the intakes' front section will be in place...nothing of this will be seen!!!:swear:

LLc6S6E.jpg

I then painted the pilot.These pictures are really bad! They were taken with my cellphone and I'll take some better ones once I get home!!!

uNUWGch.jpg

95Z6oBn.jpg

MXr7HbR.jpg

95Z6oBn.jpg

I painted all resins and landing gears' doorsblack and then zink-chromate yellow. Then a coat of Future, Tamiya black wash and some dry-brushing whith light grey.

G2qO814.jpg

hdHRzuc.jpg

I painted the intakes' interior black , then desert pink and I glued them to the model.

T9t6Vot.jpg

EWqls4M.jpg

They don' t fit very well, so cianoacrilate was used as a filler and a sanding session took place.

I sprayed Desert pink on the junctions, to check if any gaps were left.the cannons' inserts were glued too.They'll have to be worked on, as the detail could be improved a lot!

of0Lg9E.jpg

r53TSNf.jpg

sKcMvse.jpg

cSh3ZBX.jpg

Airfix GR1...still to be chosen...

From this point , I started working on both models at the same time. As shown previously, I had removed the original wheel bays and airbrakes' bays. I also cut the cannon bays openings at the base of the fuselage halves.The picture here below shows the cannon bays in place , after a coat of black, one of zink-chromate yellow and one of Future, followed by Tamiya black wash.The intakes have been glued and the additional side intakes have been closed by adding square plastic card reptangles, as this model will be depicted on the ground.

ztAp2J3.jpg

0untJva.jpg

IgfJvgT.jpg

Later the electronic bay's side doors were cut from the Left fuselage half.The resin bay's painting is still to be completed.

Tst9eu2.jpg

That's all for now!

Ciao 

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 12

More great work Massimo

The Revell kit seems to be missing the 6 vent ports in line behind the gun fairings, these were called Maserati tubes.

A tip for the gun pen nib fairings, don't have gun barrels protruding from the forward opening. The Aden gun barrels were shorter than the DEFA guns in the French version. Kittyhawk and Aires have those bits wrong for British Jag's.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

More great work Massimo

The Revell kit seems to be missing the 6 vent ports in line behind the gun fairings, these were called Maserati tubes.

A tip for the gun pen nib fairings, don't have gun barrels protruding from the forward opening. The Aden gun barrels were shorter than the DEFA guns in the French version. Kittyhawk and Aires have those bits wrong for British Jag's.

You're right!

The reason for that is I tried to drill them and I messed up, thus I replaced that area with plastic card to give irt the original shape and I've postoponed the intervention to...better days!!!

Many thanks for the info about the cannon!I didn't know.

Edited by massimo2
added final sentence

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:21 AM, Fritag said:

My pleasure massimo - you're doing the old girl full justice :) As for help in the future -  you'll find that 12jaguar, phone phixer, Selywn (and anyone else who worked on jags as opposed to playing with em like me..) will know a sight more modelling useful stuff about her than I do. I'll be picking their brains if and when I get around to building one.......

C'mon you know you want to :)

John

• Haha 1