Sepecat Jaguar GR1 double build Revell/Airfix 1/48

Hi everybody,

After my F-15's presentation WIP,  here I am with a new one , this one in real time. Will take longer!

xGBT27v.jpg

I bought the Revell kit last year and I got an Airfix from a friend, togetherwith loads of decals and plenty of resin.

I normally prefer scratch building, but it was a good opportunity to comapare two different build techniques on the same model.

To be honest, I started one model first and then got the second one and I tried to bring them to the same level, so to go on building in parallel.

The model is the same, but the old Airfix’s  plastic is better than the Revell reboxing’s one.

The model is old enough, and nowadays you may prefer the Kitty Hawk one, but I like this sort of challange, probably related to my age and the kits I was used to handle when I was younger. Airfix offers have always some sort of charme I can’t resist!

This is what the Revell box offers:

i90Ppgr.jpg

NXTdVzt.jpg

kLylGaD.jpg

JgO2taF.jpg

Am7zemN.jpg

And this is the Xtradecals set

qUXRqEF.jpg

Master pitot.

vJtAK1t.jpg

Pavla seat

OofDoW5.jpg

Airwaves PE fret for the cockpit.

A1hvqaR.jpg

d9aeZtr.jpg

Quickboost Air intakes

4W7drnO.jpg

QidIPcD.jpg

Starting with the cockpit, I didn’t like the kit’s offer, as the back wall was  made of three separate parts: one with bath and one on each fuselagee half…too many joints!!!

yKsOy97.jpg

yg3gKqZ.jpg

So I started by removing those from the fuselage halves.

6P8SbHA.jpg

Then plastic card came to help and I made my new bath from scratch.

66OHPjL.jpg

ZexQbqQ.jpg

3cGPF1D.jpg

Some bits of plastic card were added along the side, to improve the halves alignment and I also glued some strips of plastic card to the fuselage interior, to create a sort of locating frame.

N2qZas8.jpg

i5DKcEp.jpg

Testing the parts’ fit , I finally got a nice…”clack”…sort of Lego bricks noise!!!

HdWnG31.jpg

HRf3Chm.jpg

RQofMsT.jpg

QJHgtG2.jpg

D6BItZ6.jpg

See you soon!!!

Edited by Massimo
restored some lost pictures
  • Like 14

Hi mates,

I thought I had lost all  pictures, but luckily I found them, so here I am again.

These are the two baths compared. I'll add the PE parts to add some detail.

yKsOy97.jpg

66OHPjL.jpg

The jaguar's instrument panel isn't flat as the PE part, so I decided to cut the main parts, to reposition them on a new panel made of plastic card.

FU5tPcN.jpg

sZQHWhJ.jpg

WvH3dxC.jpg

I added the side walls to the fuselage halves.

fKW0R8C.jpg

pcwPe4U.jpg

Then it was the bath's turn to have pedals and side consolles glued to it.

PTz40HF.jpg

8f4aanC.jpg

wngyPxP.jpg

The cockpit starts to get a bit of life!Once in place it isn't that bad!!!

Wza8G3e.jpg

fWODJ4N.jpg

YYfNcob.jpg

9LgkRw7.jpg

qG0hgX6.jpg

The Pavla seat is quite an improvement compared to the kit's one! With its addition, the cockpit 'll look ok!

048gaJC.jpg

1yS5mv8.jpg

Time  to do the front panel cover...( pplease somebody tell me what's its name, I dont remember...!!!)

I started by adding the parts I had previously removed from the fuselage halves, gued together.

49U837y.jpg

SOnzCl7.jpg

mlVxi0g.jpg

0e2vl3J.jpg

kV302VQ.jpg

I also added some detail to the back wall.

BcTkr3h.jpg

F3dqc33.jpg

That's all for now!

See yopu soon!

Edited by Massimo
added picture
  • Like 26

Good morning,

a small update:

Initially I thought I would have represented this aircraft landing, with flaps and slats and airbrakes out.

I had bought the Aires resin set for the airbrakes, and I wanted to represent the weel bays open, but  detail in this area was a little...on the light side!!!

JQ3xzvN.jpg

aPNbntD.jpg

...so I started some  cutting on the fuselage halves, and added a structure for the weel bays made of plastic card. I used my Trumperer panel scriber to cut the fuselage halves as neatly as possible, as I wanted to rebuild the panel doors.

m3t4JPC.jpg

Sgcvxv4.jpg

fKmKCYH.jpg

q3oWy43.jpg

gCd7zxK.jpg

ehwuoE2.jpg

v25uwJY.jpg

The resin airbrake bays were removed from their moulding blocks.

I glued some plastic bits to locate the resin airbrakes bays and did some dry fit test, 

nktOVcW.jpg

PvWxukJ.jpg

kSLZj8E.jpg

YXFNe4p.jpg

a strip of plastic card was added as the model bays didn't match exactly to the airbrake bays, realized for the Kitty Hawk kit.

gCd7zxK.jpg

K9o24lV.jpg

At this point I realized something that on landings the wheel bay doors are closed , so the modification I was doing would have given the bay's depth feeling, but what I wanted was to show the interior.

Unfortunately the only time when the doors are open is while the landing gears are rotating!

So now I had a real dilemma...hoe will I represent my Jaguar?

The taking off configuration would have been interesting to show the wheel bays open, but flaps, slats and airbrakes aren' t fully extended on takeoffs, so another of the features I wanted for my Jaguar was...flying away!

I decided to postpone the decision ,as I had a big confusion in my head even for the exemple to choose, so...I just went on , as anyway I would have to add some detail to the wheel bays!!!

I added some tubing and detail to the interior of the right wheel bay.I also started to add some detail to theleft one, but ... I got bored and it's still like this.Anyway what I wanted was to get one done and be able to take a decision on the aircraft pose.

3tcRU2j.jpg

1rmsccP.jpg

If I decided for the landing pose, this was going to be all whould have been visible at the end.

1rmsccP.jpg

yxtHSZp.jpg

To have a better idea, I had to check with the landing leg.I detailed them and i made sure they could pivot on the  flanges bolted to the bays.

VN0FNJb.jpg

1WncaDN.jpg

I made a locating pin on the flange and this is the result with the leg in the extended position and the door on.

lIrnuaf.jpg

Mmhhhhh....not enough! I know it's quite accurate, but I'm looking for something more!Ok, I decided to opt for the taking off scenario!!!

I started by cutting the doors and thinning them down, then I added some detail by using my beloved plastic card and different size rods and strips.

wTZq7YZ.jpg

B3B1xoW.jpg

UnMNERh.jpg

629DXh7.jpg

Jh6sq21.jpg

uf4Z9Tj.jpg

I liked the result,once in place, so I went on with the other doors.

t0k8SB9.jpg

ldPZln2.jpg

These pictures are just to show the process and the final result compared to the kit offer.I did them for both sides this time!!!

5VDP6By.jpg

M97XLkL.jpg

This is what the landing gear bay looks with the doors open...I prefer this!

That's all for now.

See you soon!

Massimo

Edited by Massimo
restored pictures
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Hi Massimo

Nothing wrong with having the landing gear doors open, they were opened on the ground by flicking an external switch before the engines were shut down. This allowed access to the bays for maintenance

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your work on this is brilliant Massimo

As 12Jag says, open doors are often seen in many of the photographs I studied when I produced my trio of Jaguars

(I notice that our friend Fritag is following and has "liked" your work. Like 12 Jaguar he knows Jaguars well. He flew them.👍)

• Like 2

Good morning,

thanks for the comments!

About the bay wheels doors , for ages I couldn't find any ictures showing a Jag on the ground with the doors open, apart from static aircraft being mantained or restored.Then , after I had taaken my decision, I found some .

Now you confirm this , so I've got the info I needed.

Thanks very much!Update will follow possibly tonight.I'm on my way to France , at the moment.

• Like 1

Beautiful work on the undercarriage bays and doors, Massimo.

I will also confirm that the u/c doors were opened for maintenance on the ground. It was part of the see in/see off procedure for the liney to open/close the doors.

The switch was behind the upper of the 2 small panels between the port main u/c bay and the gun bay door. The lower of the panels was for the ground power connection.

To also aid your decisions, the flaps and slats were lowered prior to engine shut down. So a Jag undergoing maintenance between flights would be sat with the u/c doors open, flaps and slats down.

I recommend the many pictures in the walkround section of BM for the Jaguar. Lots of pictures of the Jags now held at Cosford.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70916-sepecat-jaguar-gr1-gr3/

Rob.

Edited by Phone Phixer
Added link
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Beautiful work on the undercarriage bays and doors, Massimo.

I will also confirm that the u/c doors were opened for maintenance on the ground. It was part of the see in/see off procedure for the liney to open/close the doors.

The switch was behind the upper of the 2 small panels between the port main u/c bay and the gun bay door. The lower of the panels was for the ground power connection.

To also aid your decisions, the flaps and slats were lowered prior to engine shut down. So a Jag undergoing maintenance between flights would be sat with the u/c doors open, flaps and slats down.

I recommend the many pictures in the walkround section of BM for the Jaguar. Lots of pictures of the Jags now held at Cosford.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70916-sepecat-jaguar-gr1-gr3/

Rob.

Hi, 

I've had a quick look and they'll  really helpful! Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Why can't I "like" this or any other post?.....

I'm sure I could yesterday or before!!!

Jonny

I just found out how to do it. Bottom of the screen click on Theme. Change to default.    

On 29/07/2017 at 20:49, massimo said:

Hi mates,

I thought I had lost all  pictures, but luckily I found them, so here I am again.

35cicyc.jpg

ivkdqo.jpg

The Pavla seat is quite an improvement compared to the kit's one! With its addition, the cockpit 'll look ok!

rr4a6o.jpg

You are aware that the kit seat headbox is far more accurate in shape than the one on pavla seat?  The pavla seat depicts the confuguration seen on the GR3 Jaguar not the GR1. Look at the seat pictures in the walkround linked in this thread.

Selwyn

Edited by Mike
Reducing massive photo-quote to the relevant pics
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Selwyn said:

You are aware that the kit seat headbox is far more accurate in shape than the one on pavla seat?  The pavla seat depicts the confuguration seen on the GR3 Jaguar not the GR1. Look at the seat pictures in the walkround linked in this thread.

It depends on when you are depicting the Jag. The GR1A later years (Gulf War onwards) had the larger headbox with the para pack. Prior to then, the kit seat is the shape.

In the same time scale info, overwing pylons were only fitted, Gulf War onwards.

• Thanks 1

On 01/08/2017 at 02:00, Phone Phixer said:

It depends on when you are depicting the Jag. The GR1A later years (Gulf War onwards) had the larger headbox with the para pack. Prior to then, the kit seat is the shape.

In the same time scale info, overwing pylons were only fitted, Gulf War onwards.

I had noticed there were two types of seat, but I wasn't sure when they switched to the new one. After considering the different alternatives, I've decided for a Gulf Was exemple , as I want it fully armed with Sidewinders fitted to the overwings pylons.

In some pictures I thought to have noticed the od style seat, but I wasn't sure.

048gaJC.jpg

So I think for this kit I'll have to use the original seat from the kit,which could be a good base for some more scratch or, in casethat's the only difference, use its head box fitted to the Pavla seat.

Selwin and Phone Phixer, thank you both very much for the info that I had missed.

Edited by Massimo