Academy 1/48 F-15D "Baz" small update 11-9-2017

Arniec

Hi Guys,

I have got two models in the stash. Both are 1/48 Academy kits( F-15E &F15I). As I have understand is the F-15E more a D version than a E. So for this Groups Build I will build the E into a D.

I have got a Blackbox cockpit for a E, b ut that will be no problem as it was intended for the revell kit and they say you use the instrument panels from that kit.

I will have a look if I can find a reasonall priced eduard etch set. otherwise I will use the kit parts.

As I have got a Cutting edge decal sheet for Israeli F-15's I will use these. O, if you think what a Baz is than that is the name the Israeli's gave the F-15C and D's. It translate into Falcon.

I will build the F-15D called "Sky Blazer". It is from 106 squadron and was stationed at Tel Nov in Israel.This airplane hase got downed five Syrian migs and it will be painted in the standard USAF Ghost Gray scheme (FS 36375 and FS 36320). At least I will try.

Here are some pictures of what is in the box.

The box art 

IMG_4070

The content. As you can see there are some parts from the sprue loose, but it is unstarted. I bought it a few years from a friend and it was already like this. 

And it was cheap (typical Dutch as I am).

IMG_4071

The cockpitset from black box.

IMG_4074

And the nice decals from the Cutting edge set CED48005.

IMG_4072

And the scheme I will be using.

IMG_4073

And some books I have from the F-15. It is not much, but I think it will be enough for this build. Otherwise there is always the internet.:)

IMG_4076IMG_4075

I hope to start this build soon.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 3

Here is finally the update of what has been done this week.

This is a picture of the resin cockpit. It was intended for the Revell kit, so there are some modefications to do. Luckely they are minor.

IMG_4084

It is a nice looking cockpit. Only a pity they didn't include the instrument panels. So now I have to use the ones from the kit as there is no upgrade set for a B or a D version from Eduard (to my knowledge).

Here I test-fitted it to see if there were much difficulties.   

IMG_4088

It showed up that the back-part of the fuselage needed to be thinned and also the resin part that connects there was sanded a bit. I also needed to shave of a small amount of the backseat side panels to get a good fit. But overal it was not bad.

IMG_4079

I also test fitted the exhausts.

IMG_4077IMG_4078

I also had to plug some holes in the fuselage for the pods that are hanged there on the E but not needed on the D.

IMG_4081

The intakes was a big job to do. There were loads of press points that needed to be removed/filled.

IMG_4087

here is a intake done (top) and one not (bottom)

IMG_4085

after putting them together there will be still a lot to do, as they aren't a good fit.

I also put the intake trunks together

IMG_4083

As there is a big seam on the inside that is almost impossible to get rid of I have decided to close them with some covers. I have got some ordered online.

so I moved on and builded the main fuselage.

IMG_4089

I needed some clamping, but nothing special. And here is she as of now with the air brake fitted and also the fuselage plug for a two seater.

IMG_4090IMG_4091

I also did today the wings and plugged the holes for the outside pylons that are not on a D.

I only forgot to take pictures.:doh:

That is it for now.

Cheers

• Like 1

Friday I have got the intake covers (eduard) and some quickboost resin seats. The resin seats are a replacement for the ones that were in the cockpit set as the Israeli's used the early seat till they were replaced with the later ones when they got the Ra'am.

The seats (escapac) I use are originaly for the A-4.

Hope to do some work this week.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Finally a update. I have been busy with the cockpit. I have tested the new seats and they are way to small for the F-15.

IMG_4123

And so the original seats had to go in.

IMG_4124

Then it was time to paint everything the interior color.

IMG_4125IMG_4126

This was given a wash with some oil paint. I used black and some sand color.Then were the panels painted black.

I also gave it a little drybrush.

IMG_4128IMG_4130IMG_4131

Then it was time to place it inside the front fuselage.

IMG_4132IMG_4133

And the last thing done this morning was mating the front fuselage with the back.

IMG_4134

It was a tight fit, but not to bad. 

That is how far I have come today.

Cheers,

• Like 2

On 30-8-2017 at 6:26 AM, Boman said:

Looking good, but why have you attached the release handle to the headrest of the Aces seats? They don't have these in real life? 

I know, but the Israeli used the escapac seat for a long time. After the Israeli got the I they converted to the Aces seat. As I wanted to be a early/mid 80's D they were still escapac ones. I cheated a bit to let them look like it as the replacement ones were way to small.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of adding the fictitious pull rings to the ACES seats, maybe you can raise the ESCAPAC ones with scrap plastic under the seat themselves? Also, from photos found on the web, it would seem that the ESCAPAC seats fitted to early F-15s did not feature these pull rings in the first place.

F-15AESCAPAC2.jpg

Mark

21 hours ago, madcat911 said:

Instead of adding the fictitious pull rings to the ACES seats, maybe you can raise the ESCAPAC ones with scrap plastic under the seat themselves? Also, from photos found on the web, it would seem that the ESCAPAC seats fitted to early F-15s did not feature these pull rings in the first place.

F-15AESCAPAC2.jpg

Mark

Thanxs for the idea, but I had already tried that and to get the good height it would be as heigh as the side instruments.:(

cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry, that I didn't finish it. I was painting it and then I went out of paint. I now have new paint, but it is to late to finish. 

I will try to put it in the KUTA GB.

Cheers,