72nd New Tool Vulccan - Airfix 2018?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

At one point the Monogram 1:48 B-24J was down there too, until the divers recovered it and re-popped it just a few years after I heard it :mental:

Accompanied by the revell 48th wessex when people were paying £75 a pop on ebay because the tools were lost, they must be raging that you can now pick them up for £10-£15 .

Hmmm... as others have said I think we'll be waiting several years. Thematicallty related kits seem to come with several years of gap between them, look at 5-6 years between the Valiant and Victor, and 2+ years between Whitley and Wellington, or Spitfire I and Hurricane I (in 1:72 at least).

As for those saying that the old one is good enough, well, in my opinion if you have to break open the DIY-grade tools (in my case rasp files to thin out the exhausts) it's time for a new moulding! The fit really is very bad.

At any rate, as a bit of food for thought, the old Vulcan has 108 parts. That's fewer than the new Blenheim If (156), Stuka (110), or Swordfish (125). It really is a very crude kit by today's standards, and as has been said a new mould could cater for both exhaust types with jetpipes and compressor faces, a full weapons loadout with several options plus bomb bay, a range of different underwing lumps and bumps, a bit more cockpit detail (not that you really need it, but some serviceable ejector seats, and a bit of detail around the crew door would be nice at least), and some decent wheel bays.

Yes - they will release a new Vulcan. Pretty sure. I rescribed mine and bought all after market stuff I "needed" so Airfix will announce it in the next workbench edition along with the 1:48 D.H. 88 Comet and 1:48 Harrier Gr. 3.

René

• Like 1

On 7/30/2017 at 6:26 PM, Heraldcoupe said:

34 years old now, they've already replaced a few younger tools such as the Lancaster and Spitfire Mk1 in 1/72. The difference with those is that other companies were competing for a share of those markets, Airfix has the Vulcan market all to itself with the old kit.

While Airfix play their cards close to their chest, rumours have emerged in the past after sightings around particular airframes. Question is, has anyone spotted team-Airfix clambering over one of the preserved Vulcans?

Cheers,

Bill.

So it's from 1983 ?

Still not old enough IMO but I am just guessing of course.

New tool Vulcan? I'd put money on it. BUT they'd be silly to do this before they re-popped the rare-as-rocking-horse-poo Valiant, and then re-popped the Victor in as many guises as possible. And maybe another run of the Nimrod (or maybe not actually). Mix in a couple of boxings of the Shackleton. After that, we'll be all set!!

See you all in the early 2020s...

Will

I suspect the current Airfix Vulcan will soldier on for a good few years yet. I agree they have replaced the Lancaster and Spitfire I moulds but I would guess they far outsell kits like the Vulcan - not with peoplle like the modellers on this forum but with the general public.

I can hear little Johnny's mother when he gets one as a present "It's quite nice really, but where's he going to put it when it's made? It's so big and his bedroom is full of toys already!"

• Like 1

As great as a new tool Vulcan would be a think the time it really should of been done was when 558 was plodding around the airshow circuit.  I say this as Airfix obviously like any business look for a good return on their investment and with a Vulcan in front of people displaying it would have no doubt produced a reasonable amount of sales at airshows that possibly wouldn`t be the case say next year, coupled with say a £40 (if released round Valiant time) being more palatable than what will no doubt thesedays be £60.

Don`t get me wrong i`d love a new tool Vulcan however like the Victor it will be priced a tad rich for me and i`ll patiently await more reasonable sale prices.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I doubt that will happen!

I sure it already has. He is still waiting ...

A new Vulcan? it's a possibility. My local plastic pusher sells a couple  every week so it's popular already I for one am sure that all sales forecasts are pure guesses and how any creedance can be placed on any of them I'll never know. All you can do is pick a good subject and do it well and Lord help you if there is a signifcant error in it.

Mind you with the RAF centenary next year we could be in with a chance of several new RAF airframes.  They have the main ones covered already though a bit lite on the pre 39 so bring back the Sopwith Pup and the AW Bulldog. They never did an SE5A did they?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I heard that Guy Martin took all the measurements when he climbed all over XH558 but the got his note books mixed up so there will be a New Tool Vulcan at Telford except it will look just like a Scania R420.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

next they'll be searching for signs in coffee grounds... ;)

What about a new GOOD MODERN C-130E/H 1/72 kit? It should have a huge international market; alll the existing kits are truly wretched. I should know - having built two of each... :angrysoapbox.sml:

I suppose they are waiting for my next attempt at a correct Herc using parts of Italeri, ESCI, aftermarket and scratch. The only one left in my showcase is the Airfix. ESCI: one built for a hobby shop (early '90) in Spanish desert camo; the other suffered an accident and got broken up for parts. Italeri: one for another hobby shop (in Blue Angels guise) and the other - painted in Swedish colours - was given as a gift to a Herc crewman.

Now I have two Italeri kits plus the remains of another & two ESCI and (again) the remains of a third one. Add a lot of aftermarket... :drunk:

Vulcan? Piffle! :P

Running for my bunker, Moggy

Edited by Moggy
spelling
  • Like 1

When I did my little part in the Airfix Meteor I had to sign a very concise and scarily legal non disclosure agreement.

If someone was privy to the aforementioned information I would guess they had to sign the same documents and all I

can say is woe unto them if Hornby finds out

• Like 1

A few years ago (10 or so I guess) I was at an airshow at Duxford and happened to see Trevor Snowden very close to the TSR2 measuring a panel with his tape measure; he stepped back over the barrier, saw me and said "Please don't mention this, Iain." I didn't and look what appeared.

For those who don't know Trevor was the chief engineer  and main driver for Airfix for a long time - he's also a brilliant speaker.

• Like 2

There'll be more chance of finding this rather than a new Vulcan 

History_AH_Is_There_Really_a_Holy_Grail_

That's what many seem to think the Vulcan is. Airfix are onto a good thing just as it is, why spend cash on something that isn't going to give any more than the current tooling is, think of the wider picture, the majority of buyers of the Vulcan in the future don't give a haggedy-honk whether it's a new tool or not, apart from cost and a new tool would definitely put them off

Edited by Toe
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Toe said:

There'll be more chance of finding this rather than a new Vulcan 

History_AH_Is_There_Really_a_Holy_Grail_

That's what many seem to think the Vulcan is. Airfix are onto a good thing just as it is, why spend cash on something that isn't going to give any more than the current tooling is, think of the wider picture, the majority of buyers of the Vulcan in the future don't give a haggedy-honk whether it's a new tool or not, apart from cost and a new tool would definitely put them off

The Holy Grail of UK 1/72 was announced at Telford last year albeit incorrectly labelled as the Phantom FGR 1

• Like 3

I'd be willing to bet that over 50% of modellers who already own a Vulcan (either built or stashed) would still fund the funds to purchase a new tooled 1/72 Vulcan kit. 

I've had one sitting in my stash since Christmas 1984. I've considered building it on a number of occasions, however have baulked each time for one reason or another. 

If the old tool kit is still making money - why not keep this in production alongside a new tooled Vulcan?

Obviously it will need to be clearly labelled as an 'old tool kit' (not these words of course), however at half the price of the new tool kit you would then capture all corners of the Vulcan market.  

I realise that this is all but a pipe dream, however stranger things have and will happen in this industry.

Cheers.. Dave 

• 4 weeks later...

I reckon Telford 2018 announcement for 2019 delivery.  That's where my money would be.

But would be delighted if it was sooner!