72nd New Tool Vulccan - Airfix 2018?

IF Airfix have got a new Vulcan kit "in the works" you can bet your boots (or other items of clothing should you so wish) that no one outside the programme is going to know anything about it until and unless Hornby management says they can.  

IF such an announcement is going to be made I suspect that it will be so at IPMS UK's show at Telford in November or sometime around Christmas.

I'm sure that such a kit is well up many modellers' wish lists and that Airfix are very aware of this, but they will also be aware that many modellers also have examples of their original kit stashed away that they may not be willing to shell out £60+ to replace, even for a kit that matches or exceeds the standard set by the Victor late last year.  Now if Airfix would like to do a new-tool Vulcan with both Olympus 200- and 300- series intakes and exhausts, Blue Steel, Blue Danube, WE177, Skybolt, Shrike, ALQ-101 and pylon and 21 1,000lb bombs and their carriers, TFR, RWR, full ECM antenna fit and full cockpit and wheel well detail I'd certainly be interested in building the test shots for them........😉

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

I hear a rumour to this effect on a regular basis, and it is always baseless. If Airfix ever retool the Vulcan -and it is something the research team would like to do- they will definitely announce it at Telford, and there will be NO rumours of it beforehand.

• Like 1

I've already built the elderly Airfix Vulcan, but would certainly be up for a new-tool version to place next to the Valiant (built) and Victor (in process). 

I mean, not that I wouldn't take a Beverley first, but who the heck am I kidding...:rage:

• Like 1

Aah, the annual outing of the "Airfix are going to release a new Vulcan next year" rumour.

As SteveR219 said, there are many of these in stashes and I agree, it would have to come with all the whizz-bangs, buzzers and bells for me to consider buying it.

A rumour, based entirely on wishful thinking, that comes around like Christmas.

Even if it was on their list of possible future subjects, no action would be taken until the Victor (which has to compete against the cheaper ex Matchbox version) had shown sufficient sales to justify the investment.  Allow a year for this followed by 2+ years from the start of tooling so unlikely to be even announced before 2020.

But why should they?  Their Vulcan is the only one on the market and so faces no competition.  Only if the mould becomes unuseable, and there is still a sustained demand, would it be worth considering re-tooling.  This is simple economics, that isn't specific to the Vulcan, Airfix or anything else.

There was an earlier thread, titled I think, 'Is the Airfix Vulcan really that bad?'  To my recollection it more or less concluded that although not up to current standards, with a little effort could be built into a quite acceptable model.

I doubt Airfix is going now to release two new tool iconic British bombers in the same year. Unless it is in other scale like 1/48., but that would be a huge project.

Edited by Botan

Lets be honest a new-tool Vulcan would be pleasing to the +/- 25 IPMS modellers who would actually build rather than stash it, whereas it would probably be even harder to build than the old one for most of the real public modellers (who aren't on fora)!

I spoke to Airfix R&D when the Victor was announced and they said it was a toss up between the Victor and Vulcan as to which would follow the Valiant. He expected the Vulcan to be retooled "at some point in the future". So it is possible, though I'd expect another year before it's announced at Telford (2018). The Wellington announcement was quite a biggie, but I suppose they could top that at SMW.

• Like 1

It depends on who you spoke to, and what influence they have on the final decision.  This is, I believe, made by Hornby Marketing. Note Hornby: Marketing like Sales, HR, Finance, IT, Legal, Manufacturing etc are all on a Corporate basis.

As I understand, Airfix propose costed subjects and surely with costed options: more extra parts, weapons etc the greater the cost.  Probably too with 'development potential': Dogfight Doubles, Starter Sets, variants from same basic tooling etc.  And doubtless too the time scale on the basis of current workload.  If that wasn't enough for the decision maker, there would be a need give cash flow projections which their bank surely demands in view of Hornby's current financial situation.  I suspect that currently they are looking for short-term bursts, rather than steady, long term sales.

Like I wrote in an earlier posting, my view is that the earliest announcement date would not be before 2020.

It was probably started by the same people that reckon half the rare kits that haven't been re-popped for years are at the bottom of the pacific ocean due to the ship carrying the toolings sinking :dull:

If I were a betting man, which I'm not, I wouldn't put a penny on there being a new tooling Vulcan being announced this year, but I'd love to be proved wrong :)

• Like 1

I had heard murmerings there was something significant planned for 2017 and was put back because of the financial woes, which does make sense given the telford an reveal was the F-4, which whilst is a big deal isnt the flagship announcement usually expected. So perhaps a vulcan is in the works, but I suspect given that was only a few months after the victor probably is something different if theirs truth to the murmerings . One can wish 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

39 minutes ago, Mike said:

half the rare kits that haven't been re-popped for years are at the bottom of the pacific ocean due to the ship carrying the toolings sinking

I,m sorry Mike but your wrong it was the Atlantic and the ship the Titanic after the loss the company spent a few years  redoing  and sent them by sea on the Luistania

Please get your facts right chap  :nono:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, occa said:

Highly unlikely, the current kit is by far not old enough IMO

34 years old now, they've already replaced a few younger tools such as the Lancaster and Spitfire Mk1 in 1/72. The difference with those is that other companies were competing for a share of those markets, Airfix has the Vulcan market all to itself with the old kit.

While Airfix play their cards close to their chest, rumours have emerged in the past after sightings around particular airframes. Question is, has anyone spotted team-Airfix clambering over one of the preserved Vulcans?

Cheers,

Bill.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

It was probably started by the same people that reckon half the rare kits that haven't been re-popped for years are at the bottom of the pacific ocean due to the ship carrying the toolings sinking :dull:

That was just a few old Frog kits. 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

That was just a few old Frog kits. 😀

At one point the Monogram 1:48 B-24J was down there too, until the divers recovered it and re-popped it just a few years after I heard it :mental:

I think Hornby's been planning to do the Vulcan for ages, but every time someone repeats a rumor that it's underway, they execute the design staff for leaking and start afresh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5