Hawker Typhoon Museum Restoration

Hi,

Not another 1/24 Scale Airfix Hawker Typhoon, I hear you say, sorry, but yes. There are some excellent Typhoon builds here:

Dances With Wolves being one. In my club I am know for doing something different, mainly rusted, or post apocalyptic stuff, you may have come across this:

img_7045.jpg

or this:

fin-dio2.jpg

So I am going to do my Typhoon as a museum restoration, inspired in some respect by the "Hawker Typhoon RB396" restoration, they have some great reference images.

Where to start? I want to show as much of the fantastic interior that is hidden, and a restoration diorama is perfect for this, but it will require cutting up the fuselage (some of you will wince at that thought), and as it is a large model, I will remove the wings as this will allow me to have a smaller foot print on the club stand, and make transporting the finished article easier.

Here are few pics to give you an idea of what I'm aiming for:

img_7677.jpg

fullsizerender-3.jpg

img_7518.jpg

Here are some pics of the work done so far:

cage2.jpg

Removed the wing spars.

front-spar1.jpg

Front spars cut off.

fuselage1.jpg

Marked out the front section of the fuselage to be removed....

fuselage3.jpg

Test fit to see how it looks, it works...

fuselage-cage.jpg

Then filled in the holes with plastic card:

fuselage4.jpg

Let it dry then I will cut it match with the fuselage.

Going to finish off the pilots "cage" tomorrow, need to add a few bits of additional stuff to the cage, for example the piece of metal and brackets that the panels would have fixed to, see image below:

cage-add-ons-e1501289203657.jpg

Thats it for now.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 10

I like :like: where this is going Richard and you might know I am playing about with one also at this moment. Will be watching for your updates.

:popcorn::popcorn:

Regards

Richard

Ooh, yes; a slightly different take on what is by all accounts a great kit.  I'm in.

I saw your rust-bus model at the Salisbury show, and spent a good 10 minutes hanging my nose over it, nicking ideas studying your techniques.  Great piece of work - so looking forward to watching this one progress.

This will be interesting and I'll press my nose in the shop window to see what you're doing.

I agree with the others that your post apocalyptic Routemaster is a cool model too👍

Trevor

On 29/07/2017 at 3:41 AM, Ripaman said:

I like :like: where this is going Richard and you might know I am playing about with one also at this moment. Will be watching for your updates.

:popcorn::popcorn:

Regards

Richard

Richard,

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

On 29/07/2017 at 5:07 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ooh, yes; a slightly different take on what is by all accounts a great kit.  I'm in.

I saw your rust-bus model at the Salisbury show, and spent a good 10 minutes hanging my nose over it, nicking ideas studying your techniques.  Great piece of work - so looking forward to watching this one progress.

Hi,

Yes great kit and so much of it hidden, even if you open the parts that are designed to be opened.

The bus as been a real draw at shows, lots of interest.

Richard

On 29/07/2017 at 7:58 AM, Gorby said:

Looking forward to this - your bus is remarkable.

Cheers Gorby.

On 29/07/2017 at 8:22 AM, Max Headroom said:

This will be interesting and I'll press my nose in the shop window to see what you're doing.

I agree with the others that your post apocalyptic Routemaster is a cool model too👍

Trevor

Thanks Trevor.

Just a small update this weekend.

Finished the pilots cage (as I call it), & the fuselage, given both an initial coat of paint.

Made a truck for the cage to sit on...

truck.jpg

Here it is painted with the Typhoon.

cage-truck2.jpg

Started on the base for the diorama..

dio-base1.jpg

dio-base2.jpg

Start on the engine next I think.

More to come in the coming weeks and months.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 10

On 30/07/2017 at 9:06 PM, 85sqn said:

Looking great so far- will it be 'RB' in her current state, awaiting restoration?

Hi,

As close to the real thing as possible, but with a large helping of artist licence.

• Like 1

HI,

Just a small update this evening.

I was going to make a start on the engine, when I remembered I had a couple of pilot figures, which I had an idea I could use on the diorama.

After turning the model room upside down, I found them.

Three different figures, one dressed in overalls, another in RAF uniform and the third in full flying suit.

I am going to use the one in the flying suit as a mannequin, in a display case.

So that is what I built this evening...

displaycase1.jpg   displaycase2.jpg

Got some clear plastic for the sides and door, then a lick of paint on the figure, and we have a mannequin in a display case.

Cheers

Richard

3 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

That's a great idea. Love it and your progress.

Cheers Thom216.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So you took the plunge and got one! This is looking really exciting. If you need any spares (extra tailplanes and the like) I can bring whats left on the sprues of mine to the club one night for you to rummage through.

Looking forward to seeing how this one progresses.

'Typhoon' Phill

6 hours ago, Gorby said:

That's another good idea, and as it's a mannequin you don't have to put a lot of effort into making it lifelike. 

Yep, but will need to make the uniform life like.

28 minutes ago, Phill318 said:

So you took the plunge and got one! This is looking really exciting. If you need any spares (extra tailplanes and the like) I can bring whats left on the sprues of mine to the club one night for you to rummage through.

Looking forward to seeing how this one progresses.

'Typhoon' Phill

Phil,

Its such a great kit, and so much detail, and at £35 it just had to happen.

Yeah I could have look to see what you have left. I shall have enough of the plane left myself, rockets and the like.

Just purchased some tools and pallets etc from:

Kit Form Services

Looking at some civilian figures to go with the diorama 

Figure 1

Figure 2

Figure 3

.. to add to the museum look.

Cheers

Richard

very interesting work,  and the Kit Form link is very interesting...1/24th Marston mattiing... useful

( PE-94 PSP Marston Matting )

for cheap figures,  ebay has 1/25th railway  figures

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Unpainted-Model-Train-People-Passenage-Figures-Railway-Layout-1-25-Scale-/311549871594?hash=item4889d1c5ea:g:IN8AAOSwx-9WxSXR

not the best, ( i got some in about 1/30th  for  the daughter to paint), but cheap enough to chop about and tart up, and has women and children...  

cheers

T

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

very interesting work,  and the Kit Form link is very interesting...1/24th Marston mattiing... useful

( PE-94 PSP Marston Matting )

for cheap figures,  ebay has 1/25th railway  figures

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Unpainted-Model-Train-People-Passenage-Figures-Railway-Layout-1-25-Scale-/311549871594?hash=item4889d1c5ea:g:IN8AAOSwx-9WxSXR

not the best, ( i got some in about 1/30th  for  the daughter to paint), but cheap enough to chop about and tart up, and has women and children...  

cheers

T

Troy,

Kit Form Services have some great stuff, I do a lot of 1/24 scale cars, so is perfect.

I have not use the figures from Shapeways, but will get one to see what the quality of the 3D printing is like, there are some really good poses.

Cheers

Richard

Hi,

Hope your weekend is going well, not done much today, spent most of it looking at new cars and going on test drives.

Managed to get a few things done today on the build...

Here is want it looks like at the moment (a bit shiny sorry, had to use flash):

diosofar1.jpg

What's new?

Engine started, dry fit to make sure it goes together, looks Ok:

engine.jpg

Wing frame, test fit with masking tape acting as ratchet straps, again just to see how it looks.

wing-frame1.jpg

Final item, filter hood, rough assembly to see what I need to do to the interior, image of what it will hopefully look like underneath the part:

duct.jpg

That's it for this weekend, off to the Boscombe Down Aviation Collection's Model Show tomorrow, where, if we have space on the table I will be showing of the work done so far on this project.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Ok been a bit busy, so have not had time to update you on progress, which has been slow I'm afraid to say.

Well here is what I have managed so far...

Painted camouflage and roundels on fuselage and wings, then removed paint with thinners and a wire wool.

fusewings.jpg

Finished off the cage to hold the fuselage...

fuse2.jpg

Started on the cockpit instrument panel,last thing to do on this section of the fuselage...

cockpit.jpg

A pic of finished wings...

wings.jpg

Also started on the workshop furniture, pics to follow.

More to come in the coming few days.

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 11