Airfix 1/48 Messerschmitt BF-109E4

Well here she folks – in all her glory – complete with stand…

If you want to check out how we got here – here is the WIP thread -

We won’t dwell on all the nightmares – you can see them all there – but as a newbie I learned a lot on this build – such as…

• Never use a sharpie for pre-shading
  • The kit itself goes together very well
  • I now know how to mottle with an airbrush
  • I can now use my scriber with Dymo Tape
  • I have learned about Luftwaffe splinter schemes
  • I now know yellow paint is beggar to put on
  • I understand more about Gruppen / Staffel / Rank / Geschwader colours and symbols
  • I realise 8 coats of paint and varnish are not good for a model
  • I found out that a sharpened cocktail stick beats a scalpel when removing masks
  • From my last build I now know clear rod looks better than brass rod for displaying
  • A black background is better to show my work than a white background
  • WIP threads aren’t just for experts

If I hadn’t done a work in progress build I wouldn’t have learned all the valuable stuff above.

Anyway – here she is – what do you think???

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As always – Thanks for taking the time to look and any constructive comments or ideas are always welcome.

Oh - and if you like it - there is a 'like' button other there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  Please feel free to give it a click ;) 

Steve

• Like 42

very neat Steve

you'd never have known the struggle without the WIP,   and I really like your summation of what you learned,   I think you  also got BM at it's  best, or if you like, as an  extra modelling tool.

The display base really sets  it off.

I would suggest some light signs of use would add to the effect,  a touch of  exhaust staining and some light oil streaking on the underside

here's AE479,  one of the captured ones tested by the RAF

4-2.jpg

this is really grubby,possibly as a result of not having all the right bits...

if nothing else maybe a possible scheme  for all those you have stashed... there are a load of pics of AE479 about unsurprisingly

Turns out the above is in a previous  thread on exactly this....  

cheers

T

• Like 2

A very neat result. It's the right call to display the model without the propeller blades to help with the impression of flight (in my view). Keep them coming - every model is a learning experience! 

Cheers

Richard C

• Like 1

Excellent result Steve and the base suits it well.

I also found it a very interesting and informative WIP so thanks.

And yes I did click 'like' as well - :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Factory fresh and crisp.  Like it.  if any of those strange types that advocate weathering wander by tell 'em it's on its maiden flight.  

*Thumbs nose at Troy Smith* :) 

• Like 2

That really has turned out sweet!

are you know running around the garden with 109 in one hand and hurricane in the other? ;)

great job.

• Like 2

Really neat result and the base adds a lot to the impression.

I wholeheartedly agree with Troy about the value of the 'what I learned' list and with spruecutter about the absence of prop blades giving a better illusion of 'in flight' than the 'stalled engine' school.

Excellent work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

very neat Steve

you'd never have known the struggle without the WIP,   and I really like your summation of what you learned,   I think you  also got BM at it's  best, or if you like, as an  extra modelling tool.

The display base really sets  it off.

I would suggest some light signs of use would add to the effect,  a touch of  exhaust staining and some light oil streaking on the underside

here's AE479,  one of the captured ones tested by the RAF

4-2.jpg

this is really grubby,possibly as a result of not having all the right bits...

if nothing else maybe a possible scheme  for all those you have stashed... there are a load of pics of AE479 about unsurprisingly

Turns out the above is in a previous  thread on exactly this....  

cheers

T

Cheers Troy,

I needed to put this one to bed - but there are still things to do - as a further 'learning process' - behind the scenes.

I do intend adding some exhaust staining and I may have a little play with a silver pencil.  Then there is an aerial of course - I've never done that before and the thought of that extra wire into the fuselage half way down is either terrifying or exciting - I can't decide. 

Nowt wrang with that marra! Nice neat job.

The extra wire into the fuselage for the aerial is terrifying, exciting and downright 'fiddly', but worth it!

:goodjob:

Davey.

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, spruecutter said:

A very neat result. It's the right call to display the model without the propeller blades to help with the impression of flight (in my view). Keep them coming - every model is a learning experience! 

Cheers

Richard C

Hi Richard - Thanks for the encouragement.  I looked at various props that seem to be 'in motion' - but I wasn't keen - so I simply use some filler to fill the nose cone.  It's not the neatest result - but I'm getting better at it.  Fiddly things - nose cones without props.

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

Excellent result Steve and the base suits it well.

I also found it a very interesting and informative WIP so thanks.

And yes I did click 'like' as well - :thumbsup:

Thanks Mate!!!  Thanks also for the aerial mast - you are a sprue sculpting God :thumbsup:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheLurker said:

Factory fresh and crisp.  Like it.  if any of those strange types that advocate weathering wander by tell 'em it's on its maiden flight.  

*Thumbs nose at Troy Smith* :) 

I know you are only joshing - but I think Troy is right - it needs something more to give it a more realistic look.  Also I might try Winsor & Newton Satin varnish next time.  This W&N matt is so...

...well matt :mellow:

8 hours ago, Lawzer said:

That really has turned out sweet!

are you know running around the garden with 109 in one hand and hurricane in the other? ;)

great job.

...sorry for the delayed response - I have been playing 'Battle of Britain' in the garden all day :lol:

Dagga Dagga - Dagga Dagga - Dagga Dagga - 'Spring chicken to sh*te hawk in one easy lesson'

I may be mistaken - but I thought this is what modelling is all about - it certainly was when I were a kid :thumbsup:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BIG X said:

...sorry for the delayed response - I have been playing 'Battle of Britain' in the garden all day :lol:

Dagga Dagga - Dagga Dagga - Dagga Dagga - 'Spring chicken to sh*te hawk in one easy lesson'

I may be mistaken - but I thought this is what modelling is all about - it certainly was when I were a kid :thumbsup:

Too right it is!   Errrrrr - mean was (honest)........

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, Hobby Paul said:

Exceptional build... looks fantastic, well done.

Thanks Paul - it was a lot of fun and a great learning experience too.

• Like 1

Ooops. 

Am I the only one to see what looks like the E3 canopy on what's called an E4?

Regardless, this is really nice modelling. I wish mine was as good.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Ooops. 

Am I the only one to see what looks like the E3 canopy on what's called an E4?

Regardless, this is really nice modelling. I wish mine was as good.

...don't get me going on that one - have a read of the WIP - that will go some way to explaining the canopy - OUCH

• Like 1