A Sherman called "Sheik"

Rumblestripe

Scots_Greys_Sherman_SHEIK.JPG

Whilst looking for images of early Shermans in the British Army I stumbled across this image of a tank called "Sheik" dated 29 September 1943 according to the Imperial War Museum (which also hosts the image) this tank was operated by the Royal Scots Greys and is pictured in Italy. The camouflage scheme looks interesting, can anyone tell me what colours I am looking at? It almost looks like a homage to "Mr. Blobby". That looks like Mt. Etna in the background which would make this Sicily rather than mainland Italy? As mainland Italy was invaded on 3rd Sept, I'm guessing this is a posed photograph for publicity/propaganda purposes? Do any other images exist of "Sheik"? Looks very err "modellable" which model Sherman is she? Sherman III?

• Like 1

Shiek was I believe, a mid production Sherman lll. It was finished in light mud, olive drab with black spots. It's depicted on the Bison decals sheet No 35051, but maybe hard to find now.

John.

• Like 2

Echelon also did a decal set that included the Sheik, ALT352003 - unfortunately also out of print.

ALT352003pic01.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------

There was a build posted of this in the past, but no pics due to phot bucket woes:

----------------------------------------------------------

There is some speculation on the colours being Light Mud over the original Olive, and black (Nobel’s Dark Tarmac No. 4) specs added afterwards.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

There's just one of the Star sets on eBay, also from USA:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Decals-1-35-BRITISH-TANKS-IN-ITALY-Sherman-MkIIA-and-Sherman-Mk-III-/131957117779

I'm not sure we can tell definitively from this photo what factory built this M4A2, and therefore which kit to choose.  The Echelon drawings clearly show welded drivers' hoods, but the Star drawings appear to show cast DV hoods.  I've only ever seen this photo.  Are there others?

Assuming it to be a welded-hood vehicle, therefore Fisher built, then the Dragon or Tasca/Asuka "Sicily" Sherman III kits work.  If we assume it was an earlier DV vehicle then the Dragon or Tasca/Asuka "DV Early Production" Sherman III kits are adequately representative.

Geography is not my forte but since there seems to be a plume, it could be Mount Vesuvius, seen from inland? The slope seems to match (Etna's is gentler) and the Allied took Avellino and Benevento in the first days of October. The distinctive shape of Monte Somma would be on the right of the peak proper, hidden by the turret of Sheikh.

The plume which had been a constant presence in the history of Vesuvius disappeared after the March 1944 eruption and has never been observed since.

EDIT: it's definitely the Vesuvius seen from the south east, hard to pinpoint the town but it could be Terzigno.

Edited by Bonehammer
Checked with Google Street View