F-15 STGB Chat

PhantomBigStu

I'd like to join but my one F-15 kit (1/72 JASDF Hasegawa) has already been started. How do I judge whether 25% has already been completed?

In terms of time remaining, based on how much sanding it needs and how long painting takes me (brush painting...) I know there is way more than 3/4 to go.

But in terms of construction, perhaps too much is already done.

I have assembled the main airframe, basically. Fuselage together, cockpit in, wings on. No tails yet. I've not yet finished the sanding of that stuff.

What remains is the rest of the airframe, painting, decals, adding all the external parts like wheels, stores, etc.

I'm happy with the 25% rule and there are other GBs I can join with unstarted kits, but please let me know either way.

thanks!

Edited by bianfuxia

25% rule is subjective and is at the hosts discretion, obviously, By the normal rules I suspect that is over the 25% rule so if the grand group build overlords say no then no, but as host I may be inclined to let it in especially as I have a f15 at pretty much the same stage :) 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, PhantomBigStu said:

Excellent, I'm not going to but would like to see how it builds up alongside the Hasegawa and academy ones I shall be doing :)

I was toying with building it alongside the older E version of the Haseg kit (recessed panel line one) with the wolfpack conversion as i have done one on here before, but ill see how i go.

• 2 weeks later...

looking forward to this as I am a born and bred Lakenheath lad and remember the F100s (I was v young! but have airshow pics on my dads shoulders!), F4Ds, F111Fs and of course the F15C/D and F15Es currently there - remeber watching the F111Fs leaving and the Eagles arriving....just finishing off my F111s from the GB, didnt make the gallery as I got some no-notice deployments....so anyone not using a GBU10 out of their Revell E model I  have a good home waiting for under amn El Dorado Canyon F111F - I used the 4 from my Revell E kit but one has gone missing.....a mystery...

I will enter a partially started Academy F15C (will ask mods to judge its below 25%) and the Revell E - I have decals for both too. My Academy F15E will have to stay in the stash so I can do some comparisons....will need to watch the other builds to deconflict tail numbers!

Hopefully the job will not get in the way, but now Mosul is all but over, the next big story will be Raqqa.....and I can hear it calling....

• Like 1

So what paints are you guys going to be using? 

For the F15E FS36118 I am using Mr Paint MRP-040 - have found these spray on really nice at low pressure allowing a black base to help with mottling - giving lots of tonal variation.

The Mod F15C scheme of FS36176 and FS36251 - Mr Paint does both,  MRP-093 the former and MRP-094 the latter. Anyone used them, are the colours right?

What other paints have you used previously? Im into lacquers now, but interested as there seems a debate. I still use Mr Color as well.

F-15_Mod_Eagle.jpg

9 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

looking forward to this as I am a born and bred Lakenheath lad

I drive past Lakenheath every day.  I will be building a stripy F-15A but now I'm thinking I should also be building a modern Lakenheath jet. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

For the F15E FS36118 I am using Mr Paint MRP-040 - have found these spray on really nice at low pressure allowing a black base to help with mottling - giving lots of tonal variation.

The Mod F15C scheme of FS36176 and FS36251 - Mr Paint does both,  MRP-093 the former and MRP-094 the latter. Anyone used them, are the colours right?

What other paints have you used previously? Im into lacquers now, but interested as there seems a debate. I still use Mr Color as well.

For acrylics I have typically used Gunze for the Ghost Gray scheme. Looks the part.

My only attempt at Mod Eagle has been with Lifecolor which also looked great. However, I have issues with those paints. At the time Vallejo had not come out with Mod Eagle colors but now they do so am probably going that route with the Bitburg Eagle I've just started. My only concern is that Vallejo is not great for freehand spraying. Will do some tests first, and might also try Tamiya XF-83 (RAF Ocean Grey) as a substitute for 36251

As for 36118, Tamiya XF-24 is a great match, even though it could use some lightening. Gunze H305 is terrible. Vallejo's 36118 also looks good in the bottle.

Edited by Phantome
  • Like 1

Btw, I just got my hands on the 1/72 GWH F-15E.

No words to describe it, it is a jaw-droppingly amazing kit in the box. O_O

Can't wait until they inevitably release a F-15C

Oh crikey,this one has come around quick!!

See that I've totally missed the F-111 GB while i've been away from the bench doing other things :(

Guess i'll have to pull a GWH F-15C out and start a build thread..

No idea as to which jet i'll build yet, but since everyone's doing Lakenheath I'll give them a miss...

A quick flick through my F-15 Decal folder(yes....i have that many Eagle sheets they have their own folder :mental:) I think I'll stick with the USAFE and look at Bitburg or Spangdahlem(Astra Decals or Twobobs) or backdate to a MSIP F-15A for Soesterberg using one of my uber rare Astra Decal Wolfhounds sheets.

Gary

• Like 1

On 2017-7-26 at 14:33, Tim Moff said:

F-15_Mod_Eagle.jpg

Looking at the job massimo did recently in the aircraft wip section, those tamiya paints look very nicely matched to me, i'll be  getting those and thinning them with mr hobby laquer thinner, haven't  seen the mr paint colours tim, look forward to seeing how they match up

Glynn

• Like 1

I am no expert on the F-15 but does somebody know the look of a early ejection seat. I believe it's the escapac IC 7 or IG 7 seat. Can I use a escapac A-4/A-7 seat?!

These seats were used by the Israeli's quite long and only switched after they started using the Ra'am?!

As I want to build a 80's F-15 D I need this seat.

Cheers,