Azureglo's Return: Revell 144 F-15E- Finished

azureglo

Its been a helluva 12 months, hospitalised for half of it, split up with my partner, moved house and then, Donald Trump.

I finally feel like mangling styrene after a years layoff and thought I’d start small. Any smaller and I’d need a microscope. This will be OOB and that teeny canopy is going to test my shaky hand but it’ll be cool to get a model built again.

Not sure about about which scheme,  I’m favouring the tiger stripey one. Incidentally, the new issue has the instrument panels left off back in 2011

Paint wise I’ll be continuing my experiment to make my Mr El Cheapo pre-mixes from last year  that worked pretty well on this beastie.

Boxes:

boxes.jpg

Sprues

sprues.jpg

Amazingly good detail

detail.jpg

Decals and minute canopy

decals.jpg

I'll see y'all next week!

A

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is made:  Copied the instrument decals on my inket, cut the thinnest tape belts I could manage and somehow assembled the minute cockpit with tiny dabs of gator glue. Considering the whole thing is about 2 cm, not a bad days work.

PIT.jpg

I epoxied in 3 grams of lead shot in the nose for good measure.

PIT2.jpg

All zipped up.

zipped.jpg

So far, so good. Removing 0.5mm diameter parts from the sprue is nerve wracking, I shall never complain of Airfix mould gates again.

A

• Like 5

A furious day of gluing, sanding etc. and we have an air-frame complete with CFTS and CFT pylons. Fit is generally good but at less than 10 cm in length, you develop a watchmaker's patience.

together.jpg

Revell would have you put on the various CFT bomb carriers at this stage hence the paired indentations. Given the size of the Tiger Meet decals, I don't think they would ever conform over the CFT bomb carriers so I'll drill the holes out and add said pylons after decalling. Now its time to rest my poor eyes.

A

• Like 2

Looking good there Azureglo! Sorry to read about your bumpy year, I hope things are looking up you now, however?!

I made the Tigermeet F-15E for the last F-15 STGB, however I turned it into NASA's F-15 ACTIVE 2D. I'm still proud of that build now. If you need any help with this just ask. I will add that decals 5 and 6 need to be added before canopy is glued in place. Looking forward to more :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

On 8/11/2017 at 6:30 AM, Hewy said:

Nice job, It looks a smashing little kit, i had a look at the mig you built in the link,  exellent  job there too

Glynn

On 8/12/2017 at 8:30 PM, Dazzio said:

Looking good there Azureglo! Sorry to read about your bumpy year, I hope things are looking up you now, however?!

I made the Tigermeet F-15E for the last F-15 STGB, however I turned it into NASA's F-15 ACTIVE 2D. I'm still proud of that build now. If you need any help with this just ask. I will add that decals 5 and 6 need to be added before canopy is glued in place. Looking forward to more :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

On 8/12/2017 at 8:34 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Anil,

Nice to see you back on here again.

The build is coming along nicely.

Too small for me to do, I'm up to 1/20th!

Thanks Guys and yes all is well (apart from my ruined eyesight peering at 1 mm bits of this kit). I've already glued on the canopy and missed the coaming tiger stripe decals but at this scale who'll know?! More today hopefully

A

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A small update: everything zipped up, primered and sprayed with Mr Color 305/317

porthigh.jpg

A little reading revealed that although the whole airframe is painted the same boring gray, the nose cones seem to fade quicker hence some Mr Color 317 to lighten up the mood

portlow.jpg

I'm truly amazed at the level of detail on this tiny kit but it will be my last as I'm returning to 1/72, getting the canopy masked and then assembling the three piece pylons was slightly harder than brain surgery. Next step, a few days for the paint to harden and then glossing and decaling- have my sight test booked for next week.

Have a cool and groovy weekend all, I'm off to see the Stereophonics and Elbow at Victorious

• Like 2

A glorious weekend of music, loved seeing the Stereophonics in note perfect action@ Victorious. Suitably energised, its time to decal:

stbddecal.jpg

As I suspected these  are very thick, my decision to leave off the CFT pylons was a good one. I turned immediately to the potions cabinet and got out the usual suspects, the red one at the end seemed the most logical choice:

solutions.jpg

Have to say its beginning to look good. A note to potential  builders of this: the tail decals are very over sized and the particularly the orange tiger pattern for the fin tops will need trimming. Luckily the decals are so thick , this is relatively easy after detaching from the backing paper but be aware,  out of the collection above only the Daco Red had any impact and it needs a few applications even so.

stbdcu.jpg

It's more of the same today, hoping that the fitting of my new smart meter won't knock out my electricity for the day as before. A thought here, a chap was asking about the "best" decal setting/softening solutions: It seems rather than just asking, its surely worth reading what there is on the web ( and there is a lot...). I quickly came to the conclusion that  you'd pretty much needed most of the stuff I bought, as different manufacturers use wildly varying materials. I remember buying some eastern European decals that had warnings about the Gunze (Mr Mark) in bold red caps! Then other articles that suggested using neat cellulose thinner and my personal favorite, for Academy decals, Mr Hobby S cement! 

The point: so much of the pleasure from any craft is the exploring and experimenting to perfect our techniques, trying new materials , practising, learning how your tools work and acquiring the right tools,materials and skills. It seems such a shame that so many newbies start asking for the "Best" this or that virtually immediately looking for short cuts to expert modeller status. Rant over back to hot water and chemicals.

A

• Like 3

More progress: All decals on and sealed detail painting done

top1.jpg

Loving the Daco Red, snuggled all the decals down into the panel lines beautifully

bottome2.jpg

Suitably chuffed with titanium effect, considering this beastie is only 10 cm!

under.jpg

Hand steady enough to do the nav lights and white thingy

lights.jpg

inflight.jpg

Well I'm a happy bunny, gonna take a few days break while I receive a replacement nosewheel from Dazzio (mine pinged off into the ether a week ago). Loving using my H&S brushes and Mr Paint clones, I can see my self finishing this next week and even starting a 1/72 F-15C...

Have a great weekend all.

A

• Like 2

Yes, incredibly enough I finished a mere few weeks after starting!

top2.jpg

More pics in the gallery. This was a hoot but very trying as small parts bent, front wheel and one main UC leg disappeared etc. In reality it was as much work as a 1/72 but infinitely more fragile: I learn to love the magic of Glue'n Glaze, its even better than Gators Grip. My pre thinned Mr Color was a dream to use and touch up. Made me fall back in love with this hobby enough to consider a 1/72 F-15C from the pile...

A

• Like 2