Untrue as my Pfeil

Tamiya Do 335A Pfeil 1/48 - out of the box build, other than the Eduard etch (which was very cheap – like me).

I completed this about a year ago and when I put it on Scalemates, it caused a minor kerfuffle because the exterior colours aren’t Tamiya/Luftwaffe/rivet-counter approved.

As I've always thought the 335 as being a little bit 'Luft 46', so I decided to go a little off piste. I went with a lighter splinter camouflage and a light grey under-side. For no reason other than I wanted to – I’m not really that interested in historical accuracy (hang the heretic).

My model, my rules.

291880-20442-10.jpg

291882-20442-32.jpg

291883-20442-80.jpg

291884-20442-51.jpg

291885-20442-42.jpg

291886-20442-82.jpg

291887-20442-58.jpg

291890-20442-28.jpg

To one of the 'wrong colour' comments on SCM, I said that I would happily have painted it pink if I thought it would look good, and to amuse myself I did a quick photo edit to see what a Do 335 would look like in pink splinter camouflage. It looks a complete atrocity as you would expect, but I think Mattel are missing an opportunity to have a new range of 'Barbie's Third Reich accessories'. Gave me a giggle anyway (I think I might have too much time on my hands).

294215-20442-36.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 41

Ditto on the rivet counters theory. And i especially cant stand the scale effect in paint argument. Thats just ridiculous. I say if it looks like a 🦆. And it quacks like a 🦆. Then its a 🦆. I cant be nor would i ever want to be a rivet counter. I try to re-create aircraft so that they please me. Im not doing this to have a guy come along and gig me because i missed a rivet. Nor i didnt use scale effect in my painting. 

• Like 6

Very nice and if you like it who cares what anyone else thinks. As for the 'Barbie' edition my 7yr old daughter, who was looking over my shoulder, thought it looked amazing!

• Like 3

Cool build and paint job there Gorby, I don`t go for exact paint matches myself and as it`s like you said more of a `46 subject why not ?

As for pink, some recce types were pink and I read that shades of pink were experimented with by us Brit`s on nightfighters in WWII :) so it `may` not be too far from the truth.

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for taking the time to have a look, your comments either made me smile or made me laugh. And thanks to the 'like' clickers as well. :thumbsup2:

@Simon382 If your daughter starts asking for nazi things for her Barbie, I'm very, very sorry (it won't be this Christmas - maybe next year).:giggle:

:)

• Like 2

Your build has come up very nicely indeed!

Your comment on "luft 46" does have merit, since this design falls perfectly in with some of the oddball design stuff.

The Tamiya kit is hard to get hold of currently... I have been looking.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comment @hairystick . I've always thought that the 335 is a remarkable design – very cutting-edge for the day and the usual camo seemed a little boring in comparison. I must admit that I got the idea of the lighter colours from a build I found on Google (can't now find the link) that I particularly liked. There are some very weird looking ones online but I decided that the splinter camo suits the 335.

Fortunately I bought the kit quite cheaply on evilbay, for some reason no one else bid.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I really like it the especially the lighter shade .

The reason for doing it because you wanted to is the best reason and what our hobby should be more about . Glad to see it comes in pink too ! :lol: I bet that upset a few lufty aficionados. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your comment @sonofjim.

Oddly enough some of the more devoted Scalemates crew had a few serious things to say about the lighter greens, but the pink rendering seemed to win them around, we ended up having a laugh about it. I probably took it a little too far when I mentioned doing a Stuka in tartan. :giggle:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Thanks for your comment @sonofjim....

I probably took it a little too far when I mentioned doing a Stuka in tartan. :giggle:

A tartan stuka, now I do like that idea :D

• Like 1

On 7/29/2017 at 2:00 AM, Gorby said:

Thanks for your comment @hairystick . I've always thought that the 335 is a remarkable design – very cutting-edge for the day and the usual camo seemed a little boring in comparison.

Fortunately I bought the kit quite cheaply on evilbay, for some reason no one else bid.:thumbsup:

You got a bargain from evilbay then! Lucky sod!:lol:

This aircraft has impressed me from the first time I discovered one, standing in the DTM in Germany in 1988. It's blimmin' BIG when you are next to it!!

It was a "what the heck is that?" moment, especially since I was already lusting over the 262 nearby.:wub:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hairystick said:

You got a bargain from evilbay then! Lucky sod!:lol:

This aircraft has impressed me from the first time I discovered one, standing in the DTM in Germany in 1988. It's blimmin' BIG when you are next to it!!

It was a "what the heck is that?" moment, especially since I was already lusting over the 262 nearby.:wub:

You've seen a real one! I didn't know there were any survivors. After a look on Wiki, it looks like the one you saw in Germany is now in the USA.

I'm also a big fan of the 262. It seems to be a lot of peoples number 1 aircraft and it always surprises me that neither Trumpy or Airfix have done a 1/24. :pray:

You still can get the rare bargain on evilbay, about 18 months ago I got an Airfix 1/48 Sea Vixen & a Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter together for £32 (inc post). Again, no one else noticed it. :yahoo:

• Like 1