Wildcat V. Drop tanks?

Fernando

Hallo, gentlemen,

Currently working on a Wildcat V;  Eastern Fleet, 733 Sqn; using the Hobbyboss 1/48 kit. Not bad at all. The kit comes with the twin underwing drop tanks. Would these be on use by FAA machines? I have seen one or two pictures of them with those on, but they were VIs.

Fernando

Hi Fernando, as 733 Sqn was a training sqn it is quite probable that droptanks were not carried on a day to day basis if indeed used at all.

I recently came across a model of a 733 sqn corsair so out of interest do you have a photo of the aircraft you are modelling? What codes does the aircraft have?

Best regards 

Nick

As I expect you already know, there is a photo of Wildcat V JV439 C9N on p.55 of the 2nd Ed of Sturtivant's FAA Squadrons.  Shadow makes it impossible to tell whether it's carrying drop tanks: I suspect not, for the reason you give.

• Like 1

Hi, Seahawk,

That's great. The aircraft is indeed C9-N JV439, as present in the Xtradecal sheet. I do have "Fleet Air Arm Aircrafts 1939-1945" by Sturtivant but not "FAA Squadrons".

Therefore, nor the tanks nor the mounting carriers?

Thank you for your answer.

Fernando

Edited by Fernando

7 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Hi, Seahawk,

That's great. The aircraft is indeed C9-N JV439, as present in the Xtradecal sheet. I do have "Fleet Air Arm Aircrafts 1939-1945" by Sturtivant but not "FAA Squadrons".

Therefore, nor the tanks nor the mounting carriers?

With the shadow, your guess is as good as mine, I'm afraid.  Doubt if anyone will be able to prove you wrong.

Just remember that the code presentation on the starboard (right-hand) side is C-9N (clearly shown in photo): Xtradecal sheets can be distressingly flaky about the correct presentation of FAA codes.

• Like 1

Hi, Corsairfoxfouruncle,

After rummaging through the pages of Ron Mackay's "Britain's FAA in WW2", I have found no traces of drop tanks under any Wildcat V, not even those operating against Tirpitz, though one, flipped over on Fencer, seems to show the attachment points for the carrier (not the carrier itself, which was composed basically of sway braces), on page 212.

Fernando

• Like 1

I think I have a loose photo of a Home Fleet Wildcat V with tanks, given me by an FAA veteran, but owing to current disruption in the house I can't physically lay my hands on it at the mo.  Can't recall the squadron offhand.

• Like 2

Fernando,

According to the written references I looked at, the F4F-4, FM-1, and FM-2 all had the capability of carrying an external drop tank under each inboard wing. That would indicate that Wildcat IV's V's, and VI's had the same ability, but like the other posters have stated, and as you have also found, finding a photo of one carrying the tanks is the hard part. Wildcat VI's seem to be the only ones in photos carrying the external tanks that I have seen. Maybe Tailspin Turtle or Bruce A. can enlighten us all on the subject.

Mike

At least some F4F-3s also could carry the external drop tanks as well. Pictures of them on USN F4Fs and FMs are relatively rare, usually on Wildcats operating from Atlantic ASW carrier and CVE-based FM-2s in the Pacific. Most only have a tank on the right side (the Wildcat had an endurance of about five hours on internal fuel only, which suggests why drop tanks were not usually carried). No clue as to the Brit practice.

38 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

At least some F4F-3s also could carry the external drop tanks as well. Pictures of them on USN F4Fs and FMs are relatively rare, usually on Wildcats operating from Atlantic ASW carrier and CVE-based FM-2s in the Pacific. Most only have a tank on the right side (the Wildcat had an endurance of about five hours on internal fuel only, which suggests why drop tanks were not usually carried). No clue as to the Brit practice.

That's what I had found, too, in my research, Tommy. F4F-3's were listed as the first version that had the capability but seldom carried them. The only photos I have seen of  British Wildcats carrying external tanks were all Mk VI/FM-2's. Didn't realize that the Wildcat had such a great endurance on internal fuel, so that makes sense as to why photos of them carrying external tanks are so rare. Thanks for your input!

Mike